Options

Effective GPS trackers

MaxcampMaxcamp Member Posts: 254
Has anyone successfully used a GPS tracker fully cross-US and back without large gaps in coverage in 2023-2024?  How about US to Canada maritimes?

What brand and fee please?

Tracki has confirmed by phone "our system may not work with all networks" which is proven out by our trial.  Tracked fine from NE to Indiana, quit in the West, and restarted in IN/OH back east.   Same experience in 2021 and 2022 going to CO, TN, and NF Canada.  They twice claimed we needed an updated device which was not really tested until the next year.  Refunds on the months paid but unhappy with the time spent hardwiring this thing twice. 
Like many trackers it will keep emailing you its moved in your yard when actually stationary- an artifact of variant satellites' baselines perhaps.

Reading Amazon reviews of many devices, it looks like 10% to 20% of all buyers of all brands have similar issues.  

2021 T@B 320S Boondock/ 2012 Tacoma 4 cylinder truck / 2023 Tacoma 6 cyl. truck

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,546
    Spot Trace is a fully GPS based tracker. It doesn’t rely on cell networks at all. 
    Here’s a record of a trip I did a few years ago. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    I know quite a few folks use trackers.  It might be helpful to all to aggregate a list of which are dependable and which are not!

• Options
    SLJSLJ Member Posts: 478
    Ours works great. GPS doesn't depend on cell service. Anytime my T@B sits stationary for over five minutes I have it set to send me a text if it moves and can track its location and movement any time on google maps. It's stored in our garage and I get even a text if it's garage door opens. No wiring needed. Replaceable batteries last about three years. I mounted it in a place it can't be seen and no one will find it.  https://www.lonestartracking.com/

Here's a pic of what I see. This is where it was in the parking lot last year while I was checking out the Hershey RV show and even this is zoomed out. I can zoom in further if needed.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
    The Finger Lakes of New York
  • Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 116
    edited May 20
    SLJ said:
    Ours works great. GPS doesn't depend on cell service. Anytime my T@B sits stationary for over five minutes I have it set to send me a text if it moves and can track its location and movement any time on google maps. It's stored in our garage and I get even a text if it's garage door opens. No wiring needed. Replaceable batteries last about three years. I mounted it in a place it can't be seen and no one will find it.  https://www.lonestartracking.com/

To be more clear based on the FAQ on that site. This has to be true for any of these trackers.

Our system is designed to track and locate anywhere in North America as long as there is 4G or 5G Cat M1 cellular service in the area.  If the device enters an area without Cat M1 Cellular Service, the GPS will not be able to report it's current location until it re-enters an area with cellular service.  Once it re-connectes, it will upload all of the historical information that was missed.

Sure GPS data will be logged, but when outside of an area of cellular service you will not be notified until the tracker gets a cell signal.

73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    edited May 20
    KK1L said:
    SLJ said:

To be more clear based on the FAQ on that site. This has to be true for any of these trackers.

Our system is designed to track and locate anywhere in North America as long as there is 4G or 5G Cat M1 cellular service in the area.  If the device enters an area without Cat M1 Cellular Service, the GPS will not be able to report it's current location until it re-enters an area with cellular service.  Once it re-connectes, it will upload all of the historical information that was missed.

Sure GPS data will be logged, but when outside of an area of cellular service you will not be notified until the tracker gets a cell signal.

AFAIK only the Spot Trace doesn't rely on a cellular network to transmit data back to the owner. Data is transmitted back to Spot (from where it can be accessed by the registered owner or other authorized person) via the GlobalStar satellite network. It's why the Spot Trace is more expensive than the other trackers. There may be other true satellite trackers available to retail consumers, but I haven't heard of one. You could maybe put a Garmin inReach device in the camper, but they're not really designed for asset tracking.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    sportcoupesportcoupe Member Posts: 30
    Are you wanting personal tracking of trips or theft tracking? 
    2023 T@B 320 S BD,
    TV: 2023 Ford Bronco 2.7L Wildtrak 4x4, Tow Package, Ford Brake Controller
    Georgia
  • Options
    KK1LKK1L Member Posts: 116
    Marceline said:
    KK1L said:
    SLJ said:

AFAIK only the Spot Trace doesn't rely on a cellular network to transmit data back to the owner. Data is transmitted back to Spot (from where it can be accessed by the registered owner or other authorized person) via the GlobalStar satellite network. It's why the Spot Trace is more expensive than the other trackers. There may be other true satellite trackers available to retail consumers, but I haven't heard of one. You could maybe put a Garmin inReach device in the camper, but they're not really designed for asset tracking.

Took a look at Spot Trace. Definitely a high end suite of tracker options. Very different from the Lone Star. Thanks for commenting!
    73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><
    2023 T@B 400 Boondock "Running up a T@B"
    Jericho, VT
  • Options
    edited May 20
    Yes, I don't get any GPS data or notice if there's no cell service at my location but the GPS tracking data and location is still logged and available to law enforcement 24/7 if needed. If I have no cell service for my phone of course I won't receive any notice on my phone until I'm back in cellular range but the GPS tracker is still logging location. I have left the camper in areas with absolutely no cell service and was still able to see the exact location. The real expense with any tracker is satellite connection for receiving text or mapping even with no cellular service. I doubt I'd ever find that expense necessary as when I'm back in cell range I still have the complete data history with no gaps.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    AFAIK only the Spot Trace doesn't rely on a cellular network to transmit data back to the owner.

Not true. You just pay more for it. Global coverage on the Globalstar Satellite Network. 
    https://www.lonestartracking.com/tracking-devices/smartone-c/
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    edited May 22
    SLJ said:
    Marceline said:
    AFAIK only the Spot Trace doesn't rely on a cellular network to transmit data back to the owner.

Not true. You just pay more for it. Global coverage on the Globalstar Satellite Network. 
    https://www.lonestartracking.com/tracking-devices/smartone-c/
    Thanks for that information. It's good to know that there's at least one consumer alternative to Spot Trace (there are commercial trackers for vehicle fleets). Which device do you have? 
    I think that it's important for people to understand the difference between trackers that report back their fixes via cell versus those that report back by satcom. 
    In the West we have huge swaths of land where there is zero cell coverage. I originally purchased my Spot Trace after a lone traveler in an RV took a wrong turn and went missing from a National Forest campground I had just visited (a tracker that uses cell service to report back its location isn't going to be useful in that situation). Being able to keep an eye on my trailer (which is stored about an hour from where I live) is a secondary benefit. 

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 482
    The gps technology is constantly changing and improving, so fast.  Read all the different reviews as they update.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    edited June 12
    Purchased the spot trace and used on two outings. Returning from 10 day trip, it recorded a stop in town and never mapped arrival or the next week at home! Unhappy and have tried to resolve through customer dis-service reps twice.

Consistently it fails after a stop to begin tracking soon enough.  The mapping shows a long unmapped swath after a stop.  So if someone were to move our camper and hide it not far off not sure this would not be reported!  Some of our hikes and rail trail parking is in pretty isolated spots.

Wish to hardwire not use batteries.  Four calls and two emails required to elicit it needs 500ma at 5v.  A big secret apparently.

Dumb question: if i wire in a 3 amp 5v usb converter, will the device draw more than 500ma?  Not sourcing a smaller amperage hardwired converter successfully except for pcb boards.

• Options
    edited June 20
    Maxcamp8 said:
    Purchased the spot trace and used on two outings. Returning from 10 day trip, it recorded a stop in town and never mapped arrival or the next week at home! Unhappy and have tried to resolve through customer dis-service reps twice.

Consistently it fails after a stop to begin tracking soon enough.  The mapping shows a long unmapped swath after a stop.  So if someone were to move our camper and hide it not far off not sure this would not be reported!  Some of our hikes and rail trail parking is in pretty isolated spots.
    A couple of thoughts: 
    You may have to try a few different placements in the trailer to find a suitable location. The location of the SPOT in the trailer definitely makes a difference. Also, be sure to place it with the correct side toward the sky. 
    There are a number of options for configuring how often it transmits a fix and under what circumstances. If you haven’t gone thru the settings I’d give it a try. FWIW I have mine set to report every 30mins when moving - any more frequent than that really chews up the batteries  
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 183
    Large number available but I would suspect, many have some monthly membership costs.  Have you thought about an Apple Air Tag? 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • Options
    Maxcamp8 said:

Wish to hardwire not use batteries.  Four calls and two emails required to elicit it needs 500ma at 5v.  A big secret apparently.

Dumb question: if i wire in a 3 amp 5v usb converter, will the device draw more than 500ma?  Not sourcing a smaller amperage hardwired converter successfully except for pcb boards.
    Is there some reason that you don't want to use the SPOT cable for hardwiring into 12v power?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Blueespy said:
    Large number available but I would suspect, many have some monthly membership costs.  Have you thought about an Apple Air Tag? 
    Air Tags are for finding lost keys. Can't depend on them if your camper is stolen. Depends on having other iPhones around it and if the thief has an iPhone the Air Tag will let him know it's there.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    edited June 20
    Maxcamp8 said:
    Mine runs on 3 AAA batteries. Wouldn't want them to run on the camper batteries as that's one of the first things a thief would shut off. Can monitor them with my phone. Going on three years and still have the original batteries. I'll replace them in the fall just because.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2023 Ford Maverick XLT
  • Options
    Thanks all for the tips.  Hardwired and drawing 0.13 amps at rest.  Part of insurance along with locks and visibility.
    I like the Spot Mapping, and daily email alert that it's still active.