Towing with a Honda Odyssey Van

rhaspyhonkerrhaspyhonker Member Posts: 33
edited September 2015 in Trailer & Towing
We just bought our T@B S Max a month ago.  We have been towing it with our 2004 Honda Odyssey van, 298k miles, original transmission (crazy, huh!).  We put a class 3 hitch on with trans cooler.  I read that it's best to only tow in D3 and never use overdrive.  We made it from Virginia Beach to Columbus, OH that way but wow did it take a long time and really cut into our gas mileage (rpm's ran at about 3500).  But then last week my trans gave out and now I'm in the market for a new van.  I'm looking at more Odysseys but now in the 2007-2009 range with under 100k miles.  Do I still need to tow in D3 with these newer models?  Is it possible to tow in D4 if the newer model vans come with it?  Does anybody know much about towing with the Honda minivan?  I love the reliability of the Honda and want to stay with this make and model but I'm just not sure what to do from a towing standpoint. Can anybody shed some light on this issue?  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• keithpkeithp Member Posts: 31
    My 2000 Odyssey also lost its transmission after only a few short trips across the Cascades with the T@B. I've heard that newer models are a bit more reliable, but I decided to get an Outback to replace the Odyssey. Loved the van for 15 years, but would never consider towing a trailer with a new one unless they seriously upgraded that transmission.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited September 2015
    We just bought our T@B S Max a month ago.  We have been towing it with our 2004 Honda Odyssey van, 298k miles, original transmission (crazy, huh!).  We put a class 3 hitch on with trans cooler.  I read that it's best to only tow in D3 and never use overdrive.  We made it from Virginia Beach to Columbus, OH that way but wow did it take a long time and really cut into our gas mileage (rpm's ran at about 3500).  But then last week my trans gave out and now I'm in the market for a new van.  I'm looking at more Odysseys but now in the 2007-2009 range with under 100k miles.  Do I still need to tow in D3 with these newer models?  Is it possible to tow in D4 if the newer model vans come with it?  Does anybody know much about towing with the Honda minivan?  I love the reliability of the Honda and want to stay with this make and model but I'm just not sure what to do from a towing standpoint. Can anybody shed some light on this issue?  Thanks in advance!
    I'd do some serious thinking when considering a new tow vehicle.  With that many miles it was more or less a ticking time bomb and the transmission was probably never serviced regularly (with so many miles) and could not handle the added weight pulled, extra heat generated and gave out after a great run and via service to you and your family.  You would probably be best served consulting with a Honda service rep about your tow options and vehicle drive capacity as the newer models no doubt have changed some and been upgraded via newer specs and design.  I never tow in over drive unless I am on a flat surface and have minimal wind resistance.  I tow and shift accordingly when driving up any inclines, in mountainous terrain and when descending steep grades in an effort to better utilize/conserve the transmission and save the brakes.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    About the only time I've managed overdrive is on either perfectly flat land with no wind or a nice long downward slope otherwise it just lugs the engine. Too low on the RPMs
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I tow with a 2014 Odyssey with no issues.  3500 lb towing capacity.  I've never switched gears but I have only towed on the flat.
  • wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    Try driving by the feel.  If it's constantly shifting in/out of overdrive, then lock it out.  Traditionally, locking out of overdrive was done to prevent needless lugging and transmission wear.  In most new vehicles, the electronics in the engine & transmission can detect & will prevent it from damage (by shifting out of overdrive), but then it sometimes bounces back and forth endlessly.  This also causes some wear.

If the manual states to lock it out, by all means do so.  Otherwise, be your own judge.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    In simple terms:

Locking out the torque converter translates to a 1:1 ratio between engine and tranny rpm.  Optimal towing to reduce tranny wear is a 1:1 ratio (overdrive off).  If you have a 5-speed, 4th gear may give you a 1:1.  4spd, 3rd gear may give you a 1:1.  Look in the owner's manual for specs. 

My rule of thumb is if I am going up even a slight incline I keep the tranny at a 1:1.  Flats I will try overdrive.  If car begins to shift a lot I drop back down to a 1:1.  I also run a Scangauge II so I can monitor tranny temp and water temp. (Factory gauges are not that reliable).

I live at 6800 ft msl and commonly tow up and over 10,000 ft msl.  My towing habits will differ as with every 1,000ft of elevation gain an engine will lose about 3% horsepower, unless you have a turbo forcing air into the engine (in simple terms).
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    The new Honda Odyssey's are rated at 3500lbs. I have a RAM van rated at 3600lbs. with a 6 speed transmission, and found that 6th is to high, I keep it locked in 5th. when towing. I only use 6th. going downhill.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • rhaspyhonkerrhaspyhonker Member Posts: 33
    Thanks everybody!  We just bought a 2009 Honda Odyssey and had the towing parts transferred from the old van to the new.  We towed from Michigan to Ohio about 200 miles in D3 without problems other than it takes so long to get anywhere in that gear.  Plus we are trying to adjust to going from 24 mpg to about 16 +/- mpg with the t@b in tow.  Other than that we can't wait to use it for a full season next year.  Any thoughts on power steering coolers?  Inline trans fluid filters?  Dealership is telling me not to do the inline trans filter.  Thoughts?
  • JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    I wouldn't worry about a power steering cooler, your van may have one on it already. Your transmission already has an internal filter, no need for another one, you might consider adding a transmission COOLER though, that would be a good thing.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    With the fourth transmission (non-Honda rebuild) in my 2001 Odyssey I put in a big *** trans cooler.  I have been towing the T@B with it with no problems. I will be adding a trans oil temp gauge just to keep an eye on things as I travel to AZ for Dodger Spring Training.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

4th Odyssey Trans gave up the ghost in the AZ desert to watch Kershaw pitch in Spring Training.  Looking at a Toyota Sequia or Tacoma.

Has anyone found a solution to the Odyssey transmission that will allow me to pull my T@B cs Max with it.  I have the biggest Trans cooler I could find and added a temp gauge to the line leading to the cooler.  I'm trying not to spend 30k for another TV.  Thanks

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    dinzzy, you might want to try to find some Odyssey forums to see if anyone there has run into the same issue and tried all you have, but found another solution (other than a new TV). Best of luck in your quest!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    edited April 2016

Bought a new Tacoma TRD Sport TV.  Selling the Odyssey.  I just can't trust it any more!

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    dinzzy said:

Bought a new Tacoma TRD Sport TV.  Selling the Odyssey.  I just can't trust it any more!
    Love that color!  Good choice of tow vehicle. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Niiiiiiice! You'll love it!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    I'm lovin' the palm trees in the backgound...wish I was there! 

It's been a year since we bought our T@b max S.  Started with an '04 Honda Odyssey van as stated in my first post. It stranded us about 3.5 hours into a 7 hour drive home last Labor day weekend. After it cooled off we were able to drive again-I was the problem-messing with OD when I should have just stayed in D3. We sold the '04 to a local farmer we do regular business with...it's still running great at 300k+ miles.  We bought an '09 Honda Odyssey last September and put all the towing junk on it and we have had no problems as long as we stay in D3 and don't exceed 60 mph.  We've gone camping about 7 times this season so far...short and long distances.  I'd really like to drive faster than 60, but I'm not in the mood for a bigger, gas guzzler/diesel to do it...or a bigger car payment!
  • leroybortleroybort Member Posts: 61
    edited July 2018
    WE gave up on our Odyssey when it quit a couple hours into a longer trip.  Now drive a '16 Pathfinder equipped with tow package.  More comfy too.
    Sug@rsh@ck -  2016 Max S Outback, 2016 Nissan Pathfinder.  
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    What year was your van leroybort?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • leroybortleroybort Member Posts: 61
    2004.  230,000 miles.  Still have it, just don't tow with it.
    Sug@rsh@ck -  2016 Max S Outback, 2016 Nissan Pathfinder.  
  • keithpkeithp Member Posts: 31
    One camping trip with the van and now it's relegated to city driving -- don't trust it any further than AAA will tow it.
    The Odyssey's have a history of problem transmissions, with or without towing.
    Looking at making a switch...Odyssey is fine but engine rpm is too high for my taste when running down the freeway in D3 at 55-60 mph.  I'm researching the reliability of the Toyota Highlander vs the Nissan pathfinder.  I'm looking at used vehicles between 2008-2011 model year.  I'm surprised that the Toyota Highlander has such a high towing capacity for such a small SUV. I can't use the Tacoma in this case because I need enclosed cargo space for my small business.  Pickup truck with cap isn't practical for my line of work. Plus we need the seating capacity. My wife wants to avoid the gas usage of the V8 in the Nissan.  I'm not crazy about the quality of the Ford, Chevy or especially the Dodge products. Doesn't leave much to choose from...basically I want my cake and I want to eat it, too, so to speak. 
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Our 2013 Highlander does fine with the T@B. Be aware that not all Highlander models have the 5000lb capacity. We have the 6cyl 4wd "Plus" model that includes towing upgrades. The base model has a 2000lb capacity. Toyota has specs on their web site for all their vehicles. You might also consider a 4Runner.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    Careful of the Honda Odyssey's. I've heard too many bad things about the transmissions going out even when towing way below weight.
    What kind of RPMs are you running at 60 mph?  We tow with a Toyota Sienna at 60 mph, usually in 5th gear and RPMs are 2000-2300.  
    I would love to tow in 5th gear!  But all I have on the Odyssey is 3+ overdrive. I'm running at about 3400 rpm's when I get to 55-60 mph.  I might look at the Toyota Sienna...are you towing in overdrive?  Toyota 4runner is also a good choice, too!  I'm a big fan of the Honda products but they don't really design their vehicles for towing. If I get a Highlander, I'll make sure it's got the factory towing package on it.  
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If it matters to you, Highlanders can tow "when properly equipped." You will need to add a hitch, 7 way connector, and wiring. 4Runners come with this stuff (but I'm not sure if they come with "all" the wiring, like the 12v wire from the battery).

We drove both and we knew we wanted a tow capable vehicle for "someday" as we keep our vehicles 10-12 years and at the time we were thinking pop-up camper. We picked the Highlander for day to day comfort but in retrospect I think the 4Runner would be a better choice for towing and hauling camping stuff on road trips. One downside of the Highlander is wasted space for a third row seat that would only fit munchkins.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    Raspyhonker - not in overdrive.  Have not done mountains yet, but will drop to 4th with an incline.
    @Photomom, oh man, I love them Dunkin' Donuts munchkins! :wink: