Dog Issue

RCBRCB Member Posts: 210
We have an 8 year old mini Australian Shepherd that is an absolute pain in the car. He whines loudly, mumbly loud whining, occasional barking etc etc. Has anyone similar experiences and possible solutions ?  We are at the point of drugging the dog, but are not keen to do that. So any suggestions from you with dawg campers would be appreciated. Thanks.
400 - 2019
St Catharines, ON

Comments

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,580
    If this is a new issue, I'd take him to the vet. My dog was always fine in the car and her behavior changed. It turned out that she had a serious eye issue.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • pakpak Member Posts: 117
    We just returned after a two week trip from NE Wa to Carlsbad Caverns. Our 2yo mini Aussie is also a nervous traveler. We got trazodone from the vet. This helps but is not perfect. On the freeways smooth and straight she is ok. She does not like curvey roads and her feet catch fire when a rumble strip is encountered. We stop and walk alot. It sure would be nice to have an eager traveler, but this is a liveable situation. We are looking into shorter trips vs long road trips.
  • RCBRCB Member Posts: 210
    Thanks pak, will visit the vet this week.
    400 - 2019
    St Catharines, ON
  • BlueespyBlueespy Member Posts: 191
    I have a 60lb Aussie and he loves to travel.  He gets joy out of just sitting in the back seat and driving around the block.  When we pull our t@b into the yard, he knows it's camping time and that dump truck butt just starts shaking with excitement.  I would suggest giving your dog some good play time/exercise before traveling.  Time to smell, run, do their business, etc. 
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2020 Ford F-150 XLT (V-8)
    Niceville, Florida
  • CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 129
    Our Border Collie isn't happy riding - but she does best in our King Cab (extended Cab) Frontier - she has her own Den back there and does much better - good luck
    TV:2019 Nissan Frontier With an Old Man Emu lift
    Trailer: 2019 T@B 320 Boondock with a Lock&Roll Coupler & Jack-e-up
    California, USA
  • TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 234
    I would do small trips with him to do something fun so that he starts to associate getting in TV with positive feelings and confidence. go to the same park or same walking trail for a few days then add new location. If he can develop some confidence it will help with the anxiety.