Options

Solar bundle kit is Zamp socket ready?

LehfeldtLehfeldt Member Posts: 20
Asking for your wisdom and experience: is this solar bundle Zamp socket ready? 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B8L8MD2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3OCGGJKWK5L74&coliid=IBZL1ZG1KPGKF&psc=1

Human: Christopher Lehfeldt T@B: 2016 Max Q named "atT@Boy" TV: 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E HQ: Rochester, NY

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Can't talk to compatibility of the panels/controller but connector wise it appears to not be in that it's set up to be connected directly to the battery, doesn't have the Zamp style connector so it's not plug-n-play ready. You could buy a Zamp style connector and replace the battery connectors if everything else about the system is ok.
  • Options
    Thanks!

Human: Christopher Lehfeldt T@B: 2016 Max Q named "atT@Boy" TV: 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E HQ: Rochester, NY
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited September 2015
    Renogy has started shipping their folding panels with the 2 pin (SAE) connectors that Zamp uses. I would call Renogy and ask them if you can get that connector. I had this exact set up. You need to use a flat screwdriver to get the bare MC4 wire to fit into the terminals of the solar controller. They use is a heavy gauge gauge wire, which is good, but it can make the connection to the solar controller tricky. The panels are high quality, but big and heavy. Also, it is worth the extra $30for the digital display as the non display version of the controller is not very intuitive.

I sold the set up, mostly due to the space it took up and the weight.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Probably easier to just get a Zamp style connector from Amazon and replace the battery connectors. No mussing around at the controller. Just make sure you get a 10-12 gauge connector. The ones in auto parts stores are 16. Here's what one looks like...you just cut off and use the correct end - the silver part is the negative on Zamp (lower left half in the pic) ...

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Lehfeldt said:
    I bought a 50 watt Renogy monocrystalline panel and will say that it is a very heavy-duty panel and performs well.  The system shown in the Amazon ad will work fine, but will require a set of aluminum hinges (and fold up style support legs for outside use) that will allow for ease of use and portability if you plan to use it for charging up your T@B battery.  You could wire both panels up in parallel as suggested and mount the controller to the back of a panel with some silicone caulk.  

And as noted above you can use the panels in conjunction with the Zamp solar connector that comes mounted on the T@B units.  You will need a quick disconnect fitting and this could be spliced onto the Renogy solar panel wiring.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    This is a kit for permanent mounting.  Therefore you wouldn't be plugging and unplugging.  You wouldn't use the port for this installation.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    But, as Mike mentioned, you could turn it into a portable by adding hinges/legs and making it a suitcase. Guess it depends on how much hassle one wants to go thru.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    It would be way too heavy for most people as a folding unit.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thank goodness I asked first before leaping to purchase, your advice is much appreciated. I guess I'll spring for the Zamp solar panel bundle suitcase.