ALDE throwing an error message or ALDE heat on electric not working??

lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 844
I have a 2017 Tab 320S with the digital Alde panel.  At campground in mountains & wanted to turn on heat on electric.  All other things electric working fine, fridge hot water lights, etc.  Double checked the electric box (campground power) and my surge protector was reading normal and not throwing any error codes.  The thermostat on main panel has red in the middle indicating temp?  Then another window opens and the only thing on it is the little thermostat again with the red temp in the middle then on the right an electric plug icon and a number indicating heat inside the trailer (I don't know).  Heat never came on.  But I DO have hot water.  Checked glycol level before this trip and it was fine.  What do the panel readings mean?  Did I just not turn the heat up high enough for it to come on??  Is the temp in the second window that popped up the actual temp inside the trailer at that moment? Also am not hearing the rumbling I usually hear when it's on gas and boondocking.   OK--update--after @ 30 minutes now on the second panel screen there is a circle (like recirculating round arrow) above the thermostat and I "think" I feel heat coming from the back wall vents.  Did I just not have the temp turned up high enough?? Any ideas please??   
2018 Tab 400
2016 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab

Comments

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,678
    lkc001 said:
    . . .  a 2017 Tab 320S with the digital Alde panel.
    . . .  thermostat on main panel has red in the middle indicating temp?
           Then another window opens and the only thing on it is the little thermostat again
            with the red temp in the middle then on the right an electric plug icon and a number
            indicating heat inside the trailer (I don't know). 

. . . I DO have hot water.  
    . . .  What do the panel readings mean?
    . . . am not hearing the rumbling I usually hear when it's on gas and boondocking.
    . . .  after @ 30 minutes now on the second panel screen there is a circle (like recirculating
           round arrow) above the thermostat  
    First do you have the Alde Owners Manual?  If not a PDF copy is available here:
    Forum Resources ALDE Manuals

Look for this comment:

As for your questions, a few answers:
     ---  When running on propane you hear the propane combustion fan and burner.
             Which is louder than the circulation pump (only noise on electric)
     ---  It typically takes 30'ish minutes after start-up to feel the ALDE cabin heat.
     ---  You may not have had the cabin heating temperature set high enough to cause
             the circulation pump to turn-on (heat cabin).  The "recirculating round arrow" you
             noted indicates the pump is moving glycol to heat cabin.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  52   Nights:  329  Towing Miles 41,900+
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,835
    The extra added ingredient after all this is: time.  It takes a while for the Alde heat to warm the glycol..pump the warm glycol around the system, warming up the pipes and the various convectors.  It might take the glycol several trips around the convectors and back into the Alde to finally start increasing the air temperature inside the trailer. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 844
    lkc001 said:
    . . .  a 2017 Tab 320S with the digital Alde panel.
    . . .  thermostat on main panel has red in the middle indicating temp?
           Then another window opens and the only thing on it is the little thermostat again
            with the red temp in the middle then on the right an electric plug icon and a number
            indicating heat inside the trailer (I don't know). 

. . . I DO have hot water.  
    . . .  What do the panel readings mean?
    . . . am not hearing the rumbling I usually hear when it's on gas and boondocking.
    . . .  after @ 30 minutes now on the second panel screen there is a circle (like recirculating
           round arrow) above the thermostat  
    First do you have the Alde Owners Manual?  If not a PDF copy is available here:
    Forum Resources ALDE Manuals

Look for this comment:

As for your questions, a few answers:
     ---  When running on propane you hear the propane combustion fan and burner.
             Which is louder than the circulation pump (only noise on electric)
     ---  It typically takes 30'ish minutes after start-up to feel the ALDE cabin heat.
     ---  You may not have had the cabin heating temperature set high enough to cause
             the circulation pump to turn-on (heat cabin).  The "recirculating round arrow" you
             noted indicates the pump is moving glycol to heat cabin.

Thank you--yes I have a manual--but don't have it with me at campsite --forgot it at home, was hoping someone had a quick answer.  Live and learn.  I believe I did not have the temp set high enough and once the recirculating symbol showed up, @ 30 min later I felt heat from the back registers, so it does work on electric.
    2018 Tab 400
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 844
    The extra added ingredient after all this is: time.  It takes a while for the Alde heat to warm the glycol..pump the warm glycol around the system, warming up the pipes and the various convectors.  It might take the glycol several trips around the convectors and back into the Alde to finally start increasing the air temperature inside the trailer. 
    Yes--it did seem to take longer on electric for me to start feeling heat from the back register plus I couldn't hear it like you can on gas.
    2018 Tab 400
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 315
    It takes forever for the Alde to heat the trailer with electricity; it works much quicker on gas. I check the bathroom heater to make sure the system is working. The convector there seems to radiate heat most effectively.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,668
    @lkc001 - For initially heating of the cabin, Alde recommends using LPG and electric.  Make the electric priority.  The LPG will heat the cabin up to the selected temp, then it will cut out and let the electric maintain the heat.  The LPG will resume when the temp falls a few degrees below the thermostat setting.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio