Options

Irregular Fridge

I'm finding over the last month or so, my 3-way fridge is acting real irregular. There are times when I can't get anything better than 45 no matter the temp setting and then other times where it's going to 30-32 on the medium setting. Doesn't make a difference if I running off propane or my generator. And, I'm always leveled out.
Anyone got any idea why it's so erratic - Wasn't in the past that I noticed.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Bad thermostat? Vent clogged so cannot cool properly?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Knowing where you've been. I vote for dust and dirt on coils and vents. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Pulling the stove and taking an air compressor to everything might be a good place to start. ;)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ventilation? Got the fan mod installed?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    No fan mod yet installed. Been cool temps, 75 day 48 night.
    Brought up dust once before and someone posted that it wouldn't affect anything... Thinking out loud, if it was dust, wouldn't it be consistently not cooling? Or consistently something?
    Last night it was 32 on medium - forgot to look as I broke camp - traveled 3 hrs today (paved roads) on battery. Turned it off while in an hour meeting. Back to battery for 30 minutes. Set up around 6:00 and it was at 42. That temp doesn't surprise me.
    Now at 10:30 on a high setting on propane it's 47. Just turned it down to medium to see what happens since it's been so inconsistent.
  • Options
    PXL, I found that propane mode especially creates a lot of heat inside that fridge space, outside of the fridge. The burner exhaust pipe gets pretty hot inside there. 

That's the main reason I did all the fan and insulation modding.

But I'd think you'd notice it first with the counter getting hot, in that case.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I'm going to do the mod, just haven't been near a workspace and the closest I've been to a dealer all summer has been 4-500 miles.
    Right now the counter is what I'd call luke warm.
    I'll see what happens overnight and haul out the generator tomorrow and switch to AC and see what happens.
  • Options
    Been playing around with running it on both propane and generator and it seems to run fine except the temp regulator (knob) is goofy. Set it on 3.5 and I'll might get 33 degrees, turn it up to full and may get 45 or something in between. It's like no matter what setting you choose it randomly picks a temp. It definetly doesn't necessarily get colder as you start at 3 and turn up. It may or may not.
  • Options
    Been playing around for a couple of weeks and still have temp fluctuations BUT - Discovered that the digital thermometer is flaky. Put a second one in and they don't match. Can be off by 8-10 degrees of each other even though right next to each other. So, bought a third thinking I'd be able to then tell which of the originals was bad - Nope, now have three different temps. Gonna have to get an old fashion glass tube analog one I guess.
    Anyone else discovered the digital problem?
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    I believe there is an old saying that goes something like, "A man with two watches is never sure what time it is."  If any of these thermometers has a submersible probe put the probe in a bowl of ice water (ice present in the water).  The thermometer had better read 32 degrees F.  I have worked as a electrical equipment inspector.  This method is considered acceptable in a pinch to calibrate a thermometer. 
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    I have one of the traditional fridge/freezer dial-type thermometers, hangs from the shelf grate, came from the grocery store. I ought to calibrate it, but it seems to be consistent, at least.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya