Adding Solar Panels

Hey Folks, I have a 2022 Tab 320S that already has a solar panel on top, I am looking at the Renogy 200 Watt solar panels with 20 amp controller.  I have a 100ah Renogy 100AH  AGM  Battery. Is it safe to hook this up to the Battery?   Thanks, Rick

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,668
    Yes, it is fine to have 2 sources of solar.  It will charge faster.  300 AH solar will future proof your camper for a larger battery, too.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 415
    Hi,

Yes that would be safe to add additional solar panels wired in parallel.  Some good practices are;

-use busbars rather than having multiple connections on each battery post.  

-locate the solar charge controller as close to the battery as your set up allows to maximize charge current from the portable solar panel 

-use fuse protection and wiring sized for  your circuit.
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 309
    Agreed.  I did the same thing, however I bypassed the controller on the Renogy 200w panel and added a second Victron controller inside the tub.  I often camp on state land deep in the woods and have to move my suitcase panel around to catch the sun.  So, as @Yoshi_TAB mentioned, I wanted the controller as close to the battery as possible.  Also, I really like the Bluetooth convenience of the Victron controllers.
    I also used a bus-bar as mentioned above.  You can see it in the photo below, just to the left of my battery monitor shunt. 
    Good luck! 

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,668
    @Rickman52 - are you referring to a solar suitcase or installed?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio