Options

Use of Alde after Winterizing

KandDKandD Member Posts: 5
We have winterized our T@B S Maxx (2015) because it could get cold here anytime.  We still want to camp and we are wondering if we can use the Alde for heat eventhough we will not be using water.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I did for the whole month of Nov last year before I got south enough to dewinterize again.
  • Options
    So you used your Alde without being connected to water and without having any water in your Alde?
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yes you can use the Alde in the winter.

There's a specific way to winterize your plumbing to keep the winterizing antifreeze out of the Alde.

It's been discussed here. Do a search for "bypass" here on the forum.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Wonderful. Thanks PXLated and ChanW.  When my husband did the winterizing he did it so no antifreeze went into the Alde.  Thanks so much for the information! We should be all set.
  • Options
    The Alde (in essence) as two systems...
    1) The heating system which uses heated glycol (not water) to heat the T@B - it's a somewhat closed/sealed system other than the overflow container that allows you to top off the glycol if necessary. This is the half that feeds the radiators
    2) The hot water system - this is a small chamber that preheats a limited amount of hot water and then provides the on demand hot water

You never drain/winterize #1, it won't freeze up, it's glycol.
    You do drain and winterize #2 as it's water

The plumbing for the two are independent of each other.
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    I didn't find glycol at the T@B Store awhile back, can it be found at AutoZone, HD etc?  I know regular antifreeze is bad for the aluminum.
  • Options
    Ya, you can have heat - Even without shore power - I carried bottled water for cooking, drinking, etc. Alde on propane/battery - solar to recharge the battery.  Spent a month before I got south enough to dewinterize and refill the onboard water.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    That's one of the best things about this darn cute little camper. How easily it goes off-grid.

I like the fact that LG added isolation valves to the water system for winterizing the Alde, although I prefer the blow-out method, rather than using antifreeze.

The one time I used antifreeze to winterize, it took five rinsings or more to get it out in the spring.

PXLated said:
    Ya, you can have heat - Even without shore power - I carried bottled water for cooking, drinking, etc. Alde on propane/battery - solar to recharge the battery.  Spent a month before I got south enough to dewinterize and refill the onboard water.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Sgtjohn said:
    I didn't find glycol at the T@B Store awhile back, can it be found at AutoZone, HD etc?  I know regular antifreeze is bad for the aluminum.
    I just did a search for the Sierra Peak and it appears that in my area, Dollar General, and Advanced Auto Parts,

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    ChanW said:

I like the fact that LG added isolation valves to the water system for winterizing the Alde, although I prefer the blow-out method, rather than using antifreeze.

The one time I used antifreeze to winterize, it took five rinsings or more to get it out in the spring.

This reminds me of a couple things I've been wondering about.

1. What do you do with the antifreeze when you remove it in the spring?

2. Is it possible to use either a manual bike pump or a tire inflator to "blow" out the system, or do you need an air compressor?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Photomom - Bike pump = Hand pump? What do you mean by "tire inflator"? 
    I'm the ChanW camp, use the blowout method. I use what I would call a "tire inflator" - Small, portable compressor that clips to a battery. There was a thread last fall that talked about what was needed as far as blowout pressure - based on that, I bought the portable compressor.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Standard floor bicycle pump w/gauge works well, blowing out the water lines.  The lines are so short, compared to a motorhome or large trailer.  Pump the bike pump to 40 psi and release water through faucet, etc. Continue, until just air discharges.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I used a bike pump until I got the right attachment for the compressor. Regardless of the method, You need a blowout plug. I have a portable compressor that I cannot use as it is 125psi. You should not exceed 50 psi on your compressor.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited September 2015
    A tire inflator is one of these things: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-ASI300-120-Volt-Inflator/dp/B000IE0YIQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1442622244&sr=8-10&keywords=tire+inflator

We take one camping for bike tires, tires on the boat trailer, etc.
  • Options
    So, what do you do with the used RV antifreeze? Do you need to take it to haz mat collection?

• Options
    Photomom said:
    So, what do you do with the used RV antifreeze? Do you need to take it to haz mat collection?

RV antifreeze is non-toxic and safe to flush with grey water.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    FYI, if you have a portable compressor like mine, that is more than 50 psi and not adjustable, you can use the same pressure regulator you use on your water hose. I use this air compressor because I air down my Jeep tires when I go off road. It fills the tires at a decent rate and feel that it is a good value. You can get higher powered compressors, and ones that actually are mounted in your TV, but this one suits my needs.