Options

FYI: Renogy 100W Flexible Panels Aren't Flexible

I noticed a couple of days ago that the Renogy 100W flexible solar panels were no longer available on Amazon (I bought one in April.) I checked the Renogy website, and they listed them as "sold out." I also noticed that they didn't list them as "flexible", but rather the salient feature was "lightweight" and in bold at the bottom of the description: "Please Note: Please DO NOT bend this solar panel." So I sent them an email and they said they discovered that flexing the panel "too much" can cause the cells in the panel to crack, and are thus "susceptible to burning" - I assume this means "burning out." They are working on a design change for the flexible panels. Maybe future ones will truly be flexible.

Also note that the description on those panels suggested allowing an air gap between the panel and a mounting surface to allow heat to dissipate (I think that was new as well.) I think some folks were considering mounting them directly onto the surface of their trailer.
gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I noticed some discussion on the flexible panels and that they are no longer available, as well. They always had a limited amount of flex. I was pretty intrigued with the discussion about the need to for air flow. My application of my 50 watt panel allows for ample air flow, but I wondered about people who had bought the bigger panels for their T@bs. I don't remember seeing anyone permanently mounting to their T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There was one T@B at Tearstock that had "flexible" solar panels mounted directly to his T@B. I didn't get a chance to look at it closely or to ask which brand he had. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    mash2 has flexible panels mounted directly to his T@B.  His panels were made by Unisolar, but they went out of business.  Very limited quantities are sometimes available on some of the resale sites.  I understand that a new generation is being developed and may now be in production, but from what I've seen, they are VERY expensive.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Yeah, quite a few people grabbed unisolars when they were being discounted.  I've seen quite a few unisolar 68's on T@Bs over the past couple of years.  I still randomly see pal-68's on ebay every once in a while (actually picked up a spare a few months ago at a decent price).  

It would be nice if someone came out with a good version again.  It is really nice not needing to deal with solar when I arrive or worry about security on the solar system.  Two fit perfectly on either side of the fan and provide me with 136 watts on a permanent basis.  I'm still toying with where I will add the third and whether I will permanently attach it (may allow this to be my wandering panel but then I'd need to deal with security).  
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    I have 2 Renogy flexible panels mounted on top of my tab. Only a slight bend to them. I'll let you know if I have any problems but so far they're great. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    So, a little off topic, but I'm curious about how the solar panels and TV charge works.  Without solar, the converter charges the battery while connected to the TV via the 7-pin plug.  With solar, does the TV AND the solar panels both charge?  Do they work together?  Does one override the other?

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    I disconnected the TV charge. I also installed a "AB" battery switch so either solar or the converter can charge the battery and run the trailer. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    If you have solar going, plus connected to TV, the solar charge controller will detect the higher voltage and quit charging, or at least charge minimally. In addition, the TV's voltage regulator will detect an increase of voltage from solar as well. They both have different target voltages so how much each participates in the charge process can vary. In short, they can both charge together indefinitely without concern.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    mash2 said:
    Yeah, quite a few people grabbed unisolars when they were being discounted.  I've seen quite a few unisolar 68's on T@Bs over the past couple of years.  I still randomly see pal-68's on ebay every once in a while (actually picked up a spare a few months ago at a decent price).  

It would be nice if someone came out with a good version again.  It is really nice not needing to deal with solar when I arrive or worry about security on the solar system.  Two fit perfectly on either side of the fan and provide me with 136 watts on a permanent basis.  I'm still toying with where I will add the third and whether I will permanently attach it (may allow this to be my wandering panel but then I'd need to deal with security).  

I found a source for Unisolar 120W panels for $160.  Sounds like a deal to me.  They are 24V.  Is that a problem?  Will 24V work with 12V battery?  If I decide to go to a two-battery setup to increase storage capacity, can I still use them?

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Look at the length of the panels.  I seem to recall that they were too long to fit on T@B.  As I recall the 120 Watt panels were 18 foot long.
  • Options
    mash2 said:
    Look at the length of the panels.  I seem to recall that they were too long to fit on T@B.  As I recall the 120 Watt panels were 18 foot long.
    I've heard that the devil is in the details.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Unless I'm mistaken, the only unisolar that is short enough and permanently mountable is the pvl-68.  There were some recently on ebay for $199.  If you keep an eye on ebay they do sow up in the 150 to 200 range still (mine were a steal at less than 100 each).  I would assume that someone will make adhesive panels ... they are a great application for RV's.  I think the canadian safari alto uses them in their rv installation.  You could send them an email and ask what panels they install on the Alto series (look like they are PVL68's but it may be worth an email).
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Has anyone talked with Zamp about their launch of the Flexi-flat panels?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    I have to tell you, the 50 watt flexible Rengy mounted on my roof rack of my TV has really exceeded my expectations. It is giving me a nice little boost when I stop for breaks and even starts charging before I take off in the morning.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I wouldn't think you'd need to hook that up with your setup.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I wouldn't think you'd need to hook that up with your setup.
    Recharges to full quicker with the extra boost.

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Here is a shot of how my wife and I are using (2)100watt flexible Renogy Panels.  The site is Oreville NF in the Black Hills south of Hill City. 

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    JC, great looking stand.  Is there a way to fold the panel section?  It doesn't appear to be hinged, although I may have missed that.  Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Yes, it is hinged with a 36 inch stainless piano hinge.  It measures 42 x 24 folded and fits perfectly behind the rear seat in the JGC.  It weighs 20 lbs.  The frame is maybe 10 lbs but I have not weighed the frame.  The bolts and nuts are epoxied into the knobs.  If you have any questions let me know.  BTW Renogy did not foresee any problems with this setup as I was concerned about not having any air gap behind the PV.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    capewoodscapewoods Member Posts: 36
    Great!  Having just permanently mounted two Renogy 100W flexible solar panels to my T@B clamshell, I come across this post.  I love it so far, but I guess I'm going to have to just wait and see what happens.  The bend is less than the 30 degrees they said they could accommodate.  I also used a permanent tape that I know is going to take the roof with it if I ever did try and get them off.