Options

Hello & Some Questions

webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
Hello, I have been looking for a small RV and have narrowed my search down to the T@b and R-Pod. I like the T@b better as it is easier to tow and I think we would do more spur of the moment trips with it. Wife wants the r-pod. I usually compromise and do what the wife wants, but I really like the T@b... I am fairly tall at 6'-4" and wife says the T@b is too small to suit me. I think sleeping and basic stuff would be just fine. She is only 5'-2" so she is fine. Any tall owner out there care to share their experiance? Thanks...
Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.

Comments

• Options
    Mr.Uncle.BillMr.Uncle.Bill Member Posts: 23
    My 6'-3" neighbor has been helping me with my T@B repair and he said he would not be comfortable in mine.  I have a 2012 T@B U.  
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I looked at both and chose the T@B for it's build quality - Haven't been disappointed after 11 months of full-time travel.
    As far as height, there's a lot of tall husbands here on the forums and discussions of how they're set up to sleep. Hopefully some of those might chime in here but you may try a search - babe just the word "tall" will do it.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I should note that sleeping is not an issue.  I sleep on my side curled up like a baby.

her main concern is the bathroom and me doing the cooking. (She is domestically challenged)  I though a stool would take care of cooking issue and I would simply sit in the bath area and get the outdoor shower option...

I like the S M@x version the best...

Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I should note that sleeping is not an issue.  I sleep on my side curled up like s baby.

her main concern is the bathroom and me doing the cooking. (She is domestically challenged)  I though a stool would take care of cooking issue and I would simply sit in the bath area and get the outdoor shower option...

I like the S M@x version the best...

I have to sit on the toilet to shower. It isn't inconvenient, really.

You might feel claustrophobic in it, that is really subjective and will vary by person, though. Best to try it out, if you can. After being inside an RPod, I am glad got a T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    My wife and I am not claustrophobic so I do not think the small bath is a big issue...(It is not like I will spend more than a few minutes in there anyway)

I think i would be happy with the R-Pod, but think I would enjoy the T@B more.  I really do not know exactly why...

I am an engineer and simply prefer the design of the T@B.  It is RIGHT SIZED in my opinion for basic camping and much better for travel.  In my opinion, we travel more than we camp.  I do not like staying in one place too long.  

I also plan to purchase a Tesla Model X in a couple of years (I have a Model S now) to tow the trailer on trips.  Being an electric car, range is an issue.  I do not think the T@B will hurt range nearly as much as the larger R-Pod will.   

Right now the Tow vehicle would be my wife's Lincoln MKC ( Basically a Ford Escape) and I know it is at the edge of the towing capacity for the lightest R-Pod (2200b dry).  It has the towing package and the engine has plenty of power to pull either.  I have little doubt the T@B is much easier to tow...

I should also note that I have a friend who I ocassionally go on fishing trips to with.  We sleep in a large tent now.  He is pushing hard for the r-pod as it has two beds vs one.  I can see an advantage for the r-pod on this one.  I like him but do not really want to spoon him on these trips...( any thoughts on this issue?)

By the way, thanks for the advise...
    Kennesaw, Georgia

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Buy the Max S, sleeping area is large.  Spooning would then be your or his option.
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Some insights on the R-Pod.
    Positives:
    medium weight trailer 
    basically stand up full length 
    bigger holding tanks 
    fiberglass roof
    aluminum framing 

Negatives:
    poor interior construction
    poor fit and finish
    vinyl wrapped wood construction
    fixtures are cheap
    curtains that don't close proper if the curtain
      rails screwed to tight

These are just from some observations, when looked at possibly purchasing one.
    Also, count on worse gas milage when towing, higher profile.
  • Options
    Buy the side tent and your buddy can spoon himself out there :-)
  • Options
    I was considering the R-Pod for a sec, but it was an apple and oranges kind of decision. They don't compare in my opinion. I finally picked the T@B Sofitel with the clam shell and don't regret it. One of my Big deciding factors was if it will fit in my garage. It does! and with room to spare. 

As far as sleeping two, the tent or big awning are a great option, or making an L of two bodies, one hanging out a bit by the door. 
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I went to a local dealer and actually looked at them today.  Even though I can't fully stand up in the T@B, I did not find it too difficult to move around in it. I was actually surprised at how much room I had in the little bath.  I  can easily reach the stove, fridge and over head cabinets sitting on the end of the bench by the door so I do not see cooking as an issue at all...

The wife went with me an she said she liked the trailer a lot more than she thought she would.  I would definitely order it with the external shower option.  That way I could more easily wash my hair (what's left of it anyway)  I love the way the window shades and screen door work.  It was about 85 degrees today and we hoped open the windows and it was quite pleasant even without the vent fan running as a light breeze was moving through.  This little guy has excellent ventilation.

I agree the bed is roomy even for me.   My buddy and I could easly sleep in "Our Half of the bed" or he can sleep in tent outside for those few fishing trips we do each year....

At 5'-2" the wife is nearly the ideal size for the T@B.  She can stand up in the shower.  

If this one was blue vs red I would have probably bought it....  (Wife wants blue and....well...she is spoiled badly...)

Thanks for all of the advice!!!

Kennesaw, Georgia

• Options
    Glad you checked it out. My brother is about your height and has a hard time staying in it to watch a movie. Everyone has their own level of comfort.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Cool - Ya gotta see and try in person. I passed up the T@B several times because it looked too small from the outside. Finally stopped and tried it out and was amazed at how roomy it felt once inside.
  • Options
    JKJenn,

I guess it all boils down to how lazy you are...  I fall into the "cat lounging" category.  I can get comfortable to be lazy just about anywhere...

And when all else fails, a little wine will usually take care of any comfort issues...

I might make a smaller table though....

Kennesaw, Georgia

• Options
    JKJenn,

I guess it all boils down to how lazy you are...  I fall into the "cat lounging" category.  I can get comfortable to be lazy just about anywhere...

And when all else fails, a little wine will usually take care of any comfort issues...

I might make a smaller table though....

No, he just gets very claustrophobic.

• Options
    I understand..  If you are claustrophobic it is not a good fit...  

I found it comfortabl...
    Kennesaw, Georgia

• Options
    I understand..  If you are claustrophobic it is not a good fit...  

I found it comfortabl...
    I am really glad! I am about 5' 9" and very comfortable.

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Ditch the table, make slats (see in files and discussions), find a small table and you will definitely have more room.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    Yes I got a smaller table immediately. And I keep thinking the clamshell kitchen, what I wanted, was made for short AND tall people. The tall counter is Really tall for me! But I wouldn't trade it, I want to be outside!
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    webcrawler, it fits you well.  Just ditch the table.
  • Options
    I am thinking a couple of TV trays is all we might need....

Bed slats are a good idea...

I asked local dealer for quote (T@B M@X S Silver/Blue with external shower, A/C and front Window)  

May be ordering soon.  It looks like there is a 90+ day wait for them right now...
    Kennesaw, Georgia

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    @webcrawler, did the dealer give you a price for adding an external shower to a Max S? If so, would you mind sharing?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    They said the outdoor shower was $350.00....

I do not know if that is high or not...

Kennesaw, Georgia

• Options
    Sorry,

After looking at it, I think the $350 was for the shower and the front window option....
    Kennesaw, Georgia

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Thanks, that is helpful - I want both of those and that gives me an idea what to expect.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Machak88Machak88 Member Posts: 160
    edited September 2015
    @webcrawler, you made great decision! My husband is 6'2", and he is very comfortable in our S-model. We also considered r-pod, but went ahead with the T@B S-Max and after 2 happy and very active camping seasons we are confident that we made the right choice. Good luck getting your t@b soon, we are looking forward to your updates and photos when you start t@bbing around  :).
    2014 T@B S-Maxx with 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo, Atlanta, GA. 
  • Options
    I like this one but it is 700 miles away...
    Kennesaw, Georgia

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2015
    Looks good! Camp on the way home!

I'm 6'2", and 'dishes' is the only real painful chore.  B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Chan,

I have 5'-2" wife for the dishes...  I cook and she cleans... (I do usually clean as I go though)

I will probably find a light weight folding stool for times when I need to was dishes...

Thanks for the info...

Kennesaw, Georgia

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    I wash dishes outside mostly unless the weather's bad (5'4") and love having the indoor option!
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    JodellRJodellR Member Posts: 67
    That blue T@b is at Haydocy if I am not mistaken, and is a special color set-up. Agree with ChanW to drive there to get it, and camp on the way back. It's a special way to say hi to a rare color.

2015 Yellow/White T@b Max S, 2015 Navy Blue VW Tiguan TV, 2 yr English Bulldog navigator