Norcold works with shore power but not propane

The Norcold fridge in our 2018 320 works great when connected to shore power.  When operating on propane, it lights nicely and appears to be set to operate well, but it is just not getting cold.  I can feel some heat exiting the exterior vent.  The trailer is level.  The outdoor temperature is mild.  The propane tank was recently filled.  Any advice to determine the source of the problem and rectify it?

I’ve read the many Norcold posts on this forum, but have not seen a discussion on the scenario where the fridge works fine with shore power, but not with propane (even though it lights).  Thank you.

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,545
    How long are you giving it to cool down? These type of refrigerators can take several hours to reach temperature, and it's often not at all obvious that they are working because the "cold" just radiates off the fins inside the box.
    The only operational difference between running on 120V electric and running on propane is the heat source. If it works on electric, and your propane burner is lighting, it should work on propane.
    If you are absolutely certain it doesn't work on propane, my only guess (and that's all it is) is that a misaligned propane burner might not be applying enough heat in the right place.
    2015 T@B S

• CaravanCleefCaravanCleef Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, ScottG.  We have left it to cool for over 12 hours. And while camping recently, it was working, then at some point stopped (even though the needle in the green indicated it was working).  Can you advise how I would determine if the propane burner is misaligned?
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,545
    edited October 1
    Yeah, twelve hours should be enough.

Unfortunately I can't advise on checking the burner, as I have never been faced with this issue (and I was really just guessing). I know some others have worked on their 3-way fridges and will hopefully chime in here with some solid advice.
    2015 T@B S

• Grumpy_GGrumpy_G Member Posts: 519
    Did you try changing the flame size / temperature setting ? I think in a 2018 you can remove the lower outside vent and can look/listen at the burner box if changing the temperature at the controls changes the flame.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,906
    This post, if you found it, is the definitive "troubleshooting" guide to the propane fridges.  If your propane is actually lighting (the indicator can be iffy) the problem could be the gas valve and the associated "thermistor" type thermostat that rests against the fins inside the trailer.  If that "thermistor" is faulty, the fridge may not be cooling.  The gas valve and thermistor are not hard to replace.  The thread below will help focus on exactly the parts that may be the issues. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • CaravanCleefCaravanCleef Member Posts: 3
    Thank you all for your contributions.  I now have a few potential solutions to pursue.
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,906
    Somewhere in this group is a thread about how to physically light the flame on the trailer, but, since Google cannot seem to do searches well anymore, I cannot find it. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • MadCityJackMadCityJack Member Posts: 111
    I had the same experience, went to an RV shop and they said it workekd fine on Propane.  Makes me crazy.   I have at least one post, maybe more on my experience.

I found the following on my ipad under files.   First author is unknown IGNITION – PROPANE GAS OPERATION
    Under normal operating conditions, with a properly maintained refrigerator, if you follow the
    below instructions, your refrigerator should be easy to ignite when using propane gas:
    1. Slowly open the valve at the propane gas storage tank. Opening the valve slowly will
    reduce the chance of tripping the safety shutoff in the propane regulator, which will turn
    off or limit the flow of propane.
    2. Turn the Selector Switch (207) to the propane gas position (flame symbol.)
    TIP: It is often helpful before lighting the refrigerator burner if you first light one or both
    of the stove top burners. It may take a few attempts to light those burners, but doing
    that will help draw propane into the gas lines and expel any air in those lines, which in
    turn will make it much easier to light the refrigerator burner.
    3. Turn the Propane Gas Control to the HI position (third flame symbol displayed behind the
    control knob), which is located at approximately the 1:00 o’clock position of the control
    knob (just as the setting for the control knob (294) is depicted in the above diagram.)
    4. Push and hold in the Propane Gas Control (294.) This will start the gas flowing to the
    igniter.
    5. Push in the Piezo Lighter (216) several times in rapid succession for about five seconds
    to ignite the propane gas flame. (NOTE: Per the Norcold owner’s manual, “Do not hold
    in the gas control for more than 30 seconds. If there is no flame in this time, wait at least
    five minutes before you try ignition again. If you continue to hold in the gas control, LP
    gas will collect in the burner area. This could cause a fire or explosion and result in
    dangerous personal injury or death.)
    6. When properly ignited, a flame will be present at the refrigerator burner and the flame
    meter (217) will slowly move to the right and into the green area of the meter. Once that
    occurs, wait about five seconds before releasing the Propane Gas Control. IF the flame
    meter does not move into the green area, repeat the above process (starting with Step 4)
    after waiting a sufficient period for any lingering gas to dissipate from the burner area.
    7. Use the Propane Gas Control (294) to set the desired temperature setting. Push and then
    turn the control knob to either the LO, MED, or HI setting. HI is the coldest temperature
    setting. These temperature settings are represented by a series of three flame symbols
    of progressively increasing size, displayed from left to right (i.e., clockwise) around the
    Propane Gas Control: “LO” is the smallest flame symbol; “MED” is a medium-sized flame;
    “HI” is a larger-sized flame. There is a fourth, even larger flame displayed adjacent to a
    power off symbol at the furthest clockwise point around the control knob. This is the
    setting for turning the propane function “OFF” and is where the knob should be set when
    not operating the refrigerator on propane gas.
    With a full, or nearly full refrigerator, you may find that the MED setting is a good setting
    to start with. Over time, you will determine the best temperature control setting for
    proper cooling. That setting will likely be impacted by the outside air temperature.
    Norcold clarifies in the owner’s manual that, “This is not an automatic gas control. It does
    not change the flame from high fire to low fire as with other RV refrigerators. If the cooling
    load changes, you must manually change the gas control to maintain the same
    temperature inside the refrigerator.” You may find it helpful to purchase a small
    refrigerator thermometer for monitoring the refrigerator compartment temperature.

From Jenn Grover:
    advice is what has worked for me.
    Here is my routine:
    1. Check to make sure that the battery is sufficiently charged. The Norcold will not light if your battery is dead. It needs
    ample charge to light and to run the fan if the ambient temperatures are warm enough.
    2. Open the propane tank valve.
    3. Light a stove burner to get the propane flowing.
    4. Turn the power setting on the Norcold to the propane (flame icon) setting.
    5. Turn the temperature gauge to the “Start” position. I have no idea why, but some dealers, including mine, have told
    customers this is not necessary.
    6. Press in the ignition button and wait for the green light to illuminate. Sometimes this happens right away, sometimes it
    takes 30-45 seconds.
    7. While holding the ignition button, turn the temperature dial to the desired temperature setting.
    8. Continue to depress the ignition button for approximately another 30 seconds. If the light goes out, repeat the process
    Tips
    • If it is hot or humid, the manual recommends running it on AC or DC for 5 minutes before trying to ignite it on propane.
    • Make sure your T@b is relatively level. If it is not level, you may have difficulty lighting the fridge. Being level from side
    to side seems to be more important than front to back.
    • Make sure you pre-cool your fridge before you leave, on AC for optimal performance.
    • If you start your fridge on propane, and place warm items in the fridge, it will not properly refrigerate your food.
    • Your fridge is not designed to run on battery, alone, while you camp. The three way fridge uses significantly
    more energy- it uses almost 12ah. If camping, you need to plan to use AC or propane.
    • LG T@bs have a high altitude kit, but you may still have some difficulties at higher elevation. Mine functioned without
    difficulty at around 9000′
    • The thermocoupler has been known to jiggle loose in transport. (HT: @ChanW ;) )
    • Per a user in the Yahoo group, the 3163 (our model) is known to have ignition problems. Evidently, the igniter and burner
    are sometimes just far enough apart, that the arc does not quite connect. That user recommended slightly bending the
    igniter towards the burner (down or counter clockwise.) I am not recommending that you do or not do this – do at your
    own risk.
    • On propane, the fridge is extremely quiet.
    • The fridge does require a little battery to run. If your battery dies, you will be unable to light your fridge and it will not
    stay lit.
    • It helps to light your stove for 30 seconds, or so, to make sure the gas is flowing properly before trying to light the fridge.
    • Your tow vehicle might not produce enough power to keep your battery charged while the fridge is on battery. The fridge
    has a great seal. If your vehicle does not keep the battery charged sufficiently, try to alternate between using the fridge
    and turning it off every couple of hours if driving for several hours.
    • The Norcold uses a separate fuse. It is located under the cooktop on an S model.
    • Clamshell models (CS) cannot use a three way fridge.
    • There is a vent in the storage space below the fridge.
    • A fan has been included in models that customers started receiving part of the way through calendar year 2015. If you
    have this fan, there will be an on/off switch located on the front of the Norcold that you can turn on to help remove
    excess heat. If you do not have the fan, you can call Pleasant Valley to request one.
    • Your fridge may blow out during high wind situations. This happened to me a total of one during two significant wind
    storms. I was able to immediately re-light the fridge.
    Fuses
    The Norcold uses three fuses. These fuses can be picked at RV parts stores or through Norcold repair centers.
    1. AC Circuit – 3 Amp Type 3AG – Norcold Part #61654622
    2. DC Circuit – 20 Amp Type 3AG – Norcold Part #61440522
    3. Gas Circuit – 1 Amp Type 3AG – Norcold Part #618079
    2017 T@B 320 Q Max 
    2018 Toyota Highlander, XLE  
    Wisconsin