Do you need/recommend sway bars for t@b 320s

Hey y'all, we are picking up our 320s in a couple of weeks. We have a hitch receiver with a 7 pin. We are discussing whether we need sway bars. Driving an 18 y.o. Tacoma. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,357
    A weight distribution hitch can also control sway, but is only needed if you have too much squat. A friction sway bar is cheap, easy to install and quick to hook up insurance against the unexpected. We think of it like wearing seat belts. We will very likely go a lifetime not needing it, but wouldn't drive without it.
    Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 437
    The Taco should be fine towing that without one. That said, the Gen 2 Tacos are known to squat in the rear. You did not mention the condition or mileage of your truck.
    If you have not already done it, you might want to upgrade the shocks and possibly consider air lift to sort out the squat. 
    You will also want to make sure that your truck has a transmission cooler if it is set up with an automatic, as many of the Gen 2 6's are. 
  • HappyCamper2024HappyCamper2024 Member Posts: 5
    I've never towed anything but an open trailer so not sure what you mean by squat. Can someone explain? First RV.

The truck has manual transmission. It's got some miles on it, for sure.  It's got a lift on it, we just got new shocks which replaced the old shocks which had a lifting plate above the shocks, now we just have shocks that have us at the same height, which is pretty tall, I'm short and I need to grab the handle to lift myself up to get in.

I measured to the center of the receiver hitch and its 16". The bottom of the t@b tongue was at 21.5" as it was sitting at the dealer. I was thinking about trying to find a hitch that raises it up a couple of inches.  

Sounds like I should look into some sway bars. 

• lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 866
    My first Tab trailer was a 320S---I tow with a Nissan Frontier, SV 4x4 with tow package and standard shocks.   I always towed with a full fresh water tank because I felt it towed much better with the extra weight up front (less bouncy).   I also had trailer tires at 5 lbs less than the max.  I never had any issues with any kind of sway from passing trucks or otherwise--never had a need for weight distribution or sway hitch.   

My truck also did not have any squat once the trailer was hitched up.  If you feel your Tacoma is squatting (i.e.  more than @ 1" to 2") you might consider air bags over a WDH or sway bar).   Air bags are much less of a hassle than WDH and the trailer shop I go to for all my after market stuff recommends air bags over WDH on smaller trailers like the 320S and 400, even though they sell and install both.

To measure squat, (how much the back of your truck squats with the trailer hooked up)  measure the distance from ground to underside of wheel wells all the way around, parked level without trailer.  Then measure all the way around with trailer hooked up.  You should be within 1 1/2 to 2" of same measurements and especially do not want front end higher.  You are shooting for level.   

2018 Tab 400
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
  • CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 129
    With too 6V AGM batteries our loaded tongue weight is about 297lb in our 320S Boondock - after a little over a year of ownership, I installed Old Man Emu springs and shocks raising the back up 1" higher then the front - but it sets level when towing. We've NEVER needed a sway bar hitch attachment. Just be careful not to place more then 30# on the back rack if your T@B comes with one
    TV:2019 Nissan Frontier With an Old Man Emu lift
    Trailer: 2019 T@B 320 Boondock with a Lock&Roll Coupler & Jack-e-up
    California, USA