Feedback request: Notes on antifreeze, 2021 TAB 400 BD

I made some notes on adding antifreeze after my latest winterizing session and would greatly appreciate comments. Please send along your additions, deletions and corrections. The notes are in a PDF - MS Word outlines are not  compatible here.

Thanks.
2020 Toyota Highlander + 2021 T@B 400 BD 
Truckee, CA expat, now driving out of Reno

Comments

• marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 152
    I just winterized my 2021 400 Boondock this afternoon.  Overall, your notes look good.  A few comments.

When you say "Nautilus pump", are you referring to the water pump button in the Nautilus compartment?  On my Tab 400, this is a second water pump switch that can be used to turn the pump on or off if used outside.  Same functionality as the interior water pump switch - no difference between them.

After I finish pumping antifreeze into all the faucets (hot and cold), I also briefly open and shut the low point drains in the Nautilus compartment (you might be covering this under "all outside valves" but I find I might overlook it if I don't call it out specifically), as well as the gray and black tank valves -- with outtake cover still in place.  This allows antifreeze to coat the valves themselves.  Finally, I pour a generous amount of antifreeze into each of the drains - kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower drain and toilet, leaving a cup or so in the toilet itself.  Two gallons is sufficient for the entire process.  I also leave the interior faucets slightly open to relieve any pressure that might build up.

I love checklists - makes the process repeatable and reliable.

--Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • geoBgeoB Member Posts: 87
    @Marlee
    Some great comments. 
    • You're right about "Nautilus pump" switch. I only used that when priming the siphon hose, but the pump will survive either way.
    • I hadn't thought about briefly opening valves after adding antifreeze. That makes some sense.
    • What's the advantage of adding more antifreeze into drains after pumping through valves? 

2020 Toyota Highlander + 2021 T@B 400 BD 
    Truckee, CA expat, now driving out of Reno
  • marleecampsmarleecamps Member Posts: 152
    Probably not much if you are running enough antifreeze through the faucets.  I always run each hot and cold until I see a steady stream of antifreeze.  Then when I'm finished with all faucets and flushing toilet, I pour the remainder into the drains and toilet bowl.

I use the external water pump on a regular basis - that outdoor shower is very handy in rinsing off muddy hiking boots - and dogs!
    --Marlee
    2021 Tab400 Boondock; TV 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee; Minnesota
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,911
    What is the "Red" valve mentioned in the comment with the Alde Yellow Valve?  The separate Alde Flow Yellow valve? Are you looking at the various colored valves on the Nautilus panel?  Are you sure you are looking at the proper low point drains?
    I could be wrong, also, since some models of the Nautilus have the low point drains right there in the Nautilus panel.
    And: you have skipped an entire step.  The thing that causes the most confusion about the Nautilus is the use of a compressor to "blow out" the Nautilus "harness", that profusion of valves and pipes directly behind the Nautilus with the valves set at the "45 degree" position.
    See Page 11 of the Nautilus 3.0 manual, page 12 of the Nautilus 2.5 manual.
    After you "blow out" the "harness", then the next step is to have the valves in the "Winterize" position for delivery to the faucets.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi