2014 320S Alde System Won’t Work on Battery

Pekoe1111Pekoe1111 Member Posts: 40
I have a 2014 320 S and the Alde heating system works fine on shore power, but won’t on battery. Only the red light flashes and the system will not start. I just purchased a new deep cycle marine battery. Any ideas why it will not run on the battery? I tried turning off power and turning on again with the same results.  Thanks!

Comments

• Bill&SuzeBill&Suze Member Posts: 70
    Alde is powered by shore power and/or propane. You can prioritize which is to dominate. The red light will blink if you have not turned propane on. While 12V DC is needed it is not the main power source.
    Susan & Bill, Yarmouth, Maine
    2024 T@B 400 Boondock Black Canyon
    2024 Kia EV9
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,911
    The blinking light is from a low battery situation, according to the manual.  If the light is on and not blinking, it is one of the other error types.
    What is the "state of charge" of your battery?  If the battery status is being "sensed" by the Alde as being below about 10.5V, the Alde will not work on propane to try to preserve/protect the battery.
    Do you have a multimeter or some other way to determine the battery status?  This thread has a description of the difference between the "blinking" red and the "fixed" red light and what it may mean.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Pekoe1111Pekoe1111 Member Posts: 40
    Strange. My battery is at 100% and I’m quite sure my propane tank is full. I successfully started my fridge. I’ll double check the battery and tank tomorrow.  
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,706
    Do you have the analog control?  

From the Alde 3010 manual:

If both the electrical cartridge and the LP gas boiler are ON, the electrical cartridge heats up first and the LP gas boiler only starts when the room temperature has gone down by 2-4°F (1-2°C).  Did you try it only on battery and LPG?

TROUBLESHOOTING

The boiler does not start on Gas:
    1. Check to make sure that there is gas in the LP Gas tank. If it is empty, have the tank refilled.
    2. Check to make sure that the main gas valve is fully open. If not, open the gas valve all the way.
    3. Check that the boiler is connected to the electricity supply (> 11 V DC).
    4. Check that the 12 V fuse for the boiler is intact.
    5. Check whether the electric connections on the boiler are securely in position.
    If none of the above helps, contact a service workshop

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio