Options

LED Tail Lights for the T@B

CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
edited March 2014 in Modifications & Upgrades
With much thanks to instructions written by Richard Lewis, which should be attached to this post, I recently replaces my original tail lights on the T@Bpole with LED tail lights. Richards instructions are for a Dutchman T@B, and while they are very similar to the Little Guy T@B's, there are some differences. It is not a difficult task, but it is a little more then just, well, changing a light bulb, so I will outline the modification below (with some pictures).

First thing you will need are the new lights. I used 4" Microflex LED Trailer Tail Lights. These seem to be the closest fit to the originals, though you will still need to make some modifications. If you get these lights, you will also need to get a pair of pigtails to work with them, as your current wiring will not work.

Before you do anything, make sure you are unplugged from you tow vehicle. The tail lights (and other running lights) are on a separate system from the rest of the T@B's power, and only have power when your tow vehicle is plugged in.

1. Remove the tail light cover trim piece. There are eight screws holding this piece in, four short screws that attach it to the side trim piece, and four longer screws that go into the body. All of these screws have the bugle type screw heads, and thus require a specialized driver (you should get one anyway, there are a lot of these screws in the T@B). Little Guy also solved a leakage problem by putting a bead of silicone at the top of this piece. You will have to probably cut this to get the trim off.

2. Cut the wires as close to the base of the light as you can, you will need as much wiring as possible to attach the new lights. Be careful not to pull too hard on the wiring as it could spring back into the body and have to be fished out.

image image

3. Remove the screws holding the lens cap in place and remove the cap.

4. Remove the bulb. Now look for two screws inside the housing. They are more bugle head screws that were added to secure the light to the trim.

image image

5. Now cut away the silicone around the back of the housing and you should be able to remove the light.

6. The opening the the trim will have to be widened to fit the new LED light. You can use a sanding drum on a drill to do this, or do as I did and carefully use a Dremel with a sanding drum to widen it out. The new light should be able to slide in tightly from the outside.

7. Use some silicone adhesive to secure the new housing in place.

8. Splice the wiring and test everything (lights, signals and brakes) before crimping any wires. The following colors should be a match:

Red to Red
White to White
Black to Brown

But test everything to make sure it all matches, as the wiring may have changed.

9. Once everything checks out, you are ready to replace the trim. Before you do, place some silicone over each of the screw holes leading into the body to guard against leaks. Replace the trim and screws, and place a new bead of silicone along the top of the trim.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
Sterling, VA

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Looks great and is a nice upgrade too! Well done!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    edited March 2014
    Great job and good advice about cutting the wire from the old lights as close as possible because there is no extra to work with. Also about the caulking to keep water out. When I changed mine (sorry, no pictures) I found some with slightly less diameter that did not require quite at much enlarging of the opening. I think they were 3.82 inches, and I enlarged with a dremel as well. I did not need any additional wiring (pigtail) as the lights I used spliced right onto the T@B wiring and worked as they were supposed to. This is a great mod that I encourage everyone who can to do.

EDIT: I guess I should say that the wiring (pigtail) came already attached to the lights I bought.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited March 2014
    I agree Larry, you can't scrimp on wire as there could be an extra project down the road.

One other thing I'll add and remember is that on some LED re-wire jobs people have noted a faint glow in their LED lights after the vehicle has been shut off. Although an absolute explanation cannot be offered up for this phenomena, it is most likely a result of small, trace/residual voltage still present on a circuit. I would guess it would be from a vehicle's security features or whatever else requires voltage after a vehicle is shut off. You often see the blinking red dashboard lights flicking on and off via sensors in vehicles. I would attribute any after glow on LED lights to this since they are a low voltage, low amperage draw.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    captaincaptain Member Posts: 5

I just installed the Microflex tail lights.  The Dremel tool was the key to easily and quickly enlarge the opening.  Frequent trial fitting is key to a snug fit.  The grey plastic housing virtually matches the trailer trim color resulting to an installation appearing to be factory installed.  I previously installed a center marker/directional/brake light above the moulding running between the tail lights. The step-by-step posting was well done, thanks.

Hugh Strobel 

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    This is such a well-outlined mod that I almost think I could do it by myself!!!  Pray, tell, what is the advantage of LED tail lights?  Better visibility?  Do the ones which come equipped with the factory T@Bs have a parasitic battery drain? :-/
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    ptrusheimptrusheim Member Posts: 3
    Does this mod use the red lens cover from the new assembly? I have broken one of mine and wonder if this would help that issue too?
  • Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @ptrusheim This thread is 5 years old, and the OP hasn’t been around for a couple of years. And I don’t know if the taillights have changed their configuration, except I believe all are now LEDs. Perhaps someone else will be able to tell you, or you can call your dealer to order a new cover. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @ptrusheim, the mod was  "store bought" LED replacement fixtures for the existing non - LED lights that came stock on earlier Tabs.

The fixture that's discussed here is all-in-one. The lens is not removable.

What year is your Tab? Are your existing lights LED?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Hoogie69Hoogie69 Member Posts: 31
    I swapped out the stock 1157 bulbs in my DM T@b for LED versions.  Works great so I would ask the question, why change out the fixtures?

2022 T@B 400 BD, with 2-way refrigerator and AllPro Awning
    TV is a 2021 Honda Passport Elite w/ transmission cooler and Redarc Liberty Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    dp150dp150 Member Posts: 18
    I just purchased 2015 T@b 320S. Trouble shooting LED tail light issue. After arriving  home with camper discovered right side brake and turn signal does not work. Removed 4 screws from plastic cover and 4 additional screws in overlapping cover. Is something else also holding  this tail light in place? I see no additional screws or fasteners but feels like still attached. Any info is greatly appreciated
    Don & Michelle
    2015 T@b S.  2017 Nissan Titan
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    edited March 2020
    @dp150, that area is heavily caulked. Please carefully run a razor knife between the body of the trailer and the trim, not into the center of the area where the wires run. See if it lifts then. This area is caulked heavily to prevent leaks as there is a hole in the body to allow the wires to attach. If only one side is affected, either the light itself has failed, a wire connection is loose/disconnected or there may be a ground. Good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    dp150dp150 Member Posts: 18
    Found the issue, ended up being my tow vehicle not the camper at all. Glad I did not tear up anything in the process. Thankful for all the folks providing helpful info on this forum
    Don & Michelle
    2015 T@b S.  2017 Nissan Titan
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Yep, 9 times out of ten, trailer light issues are either a bad ground it a TV issue, especially with LED lights.  Glad you got it sorted.
    cheers

2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    A very good rule of electrical troubleshooting is to divide and conquer. Do I have expected inputs and expected output at each test point. With a trailer you have a convenient spot to test at the plug, 1st check there, is expected data there going to trailer? Continue on back if it is. Saves a lot of time over going to end and starting like the taillights when the issue is way upstream.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite