Slipcovers?

Almost ready to order my T@B S Max - the dealer talked to the factory and they cannot substitute the neutral fabric that I wanted. Sounded like a legal thing with the owner of the Tabitha trademark. He is checking to see if they will still use a custom fabric that I send to them and what the cost might be.

Another option would be to make my own slipcovers. I did a few searches here but couldn't find any posts about doing that. Does anyone have any info about this - type of fabric, difficulty, how much fabric you need, etc.?

I really dislike the "RV look" upholstery choices and wish a neutral fabric was generally available!
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    @Sandra, that is awesome info. Thanks! I would probably use a solid color fabric so I wouldn't have to match patterns. Then I can get crazy with colorful pillows and accessories.

What type of fabric did you use? Would something like Waverly home dec twill be appropriate?
  • BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    I would think it would depend if you plan to take them off to wash or if they are a permanent installation. Twill is generally considered a fairly durable fabric for home use but camping can be a different matter depending on how you camp, animals, etc. I would suggest you take an up close look at the fabric and its care instructions before selecting. 
    edited October 2015
    Actually I just found a place that specializes in slipcover fabric and has a selection of pet friendly fabrics. http://slipcoverfabrics.com/collections/pet-friendly-slipcover-fabrics  And they will pre-wash the fabric for you.

I like the red and white ticking for the seats and the vintage rose print for the seat backs very much.

Another question - I believe the standard cushions have something connecting the seat cushion and the seat back. Is there a reason why these need to be connected? I think it would be easier to make covers if they could be left separate.
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I cut mine apart - Haven't had any trouble with slippage.
  • IrishCamper74IrishCamper74 Member Posts: 237
    Just discovered this post! Priceless as I also don't like any of the interior choices.
    Better Homes & Gardens have a cool line of indoor/outdoor fabric. I want something durable, washable & bright. Went looking at a fabric store & my husband immediately picked out a vintage airplane pattern. While a flowery print may be a punch on his man card..... bi-planes may be a bit too much!  =)

Now I just need to find someone who can sew...
    Light a campfire and everyone's a storyteller. ~John Geddes

2017 t@b CS, silver with green trim.
    TV: 2017 Honda Ridgeline.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Now I just need to find someone who can sew...
    My local dry cleaners has a seamstress who not only hems and repairs clothing, she has sewn Sunbrella fabric for a replacement Pergola cover for me. I'm sure you can find someone local like that. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    I have found that at some of the fabric stores or quilting shops in my area, they sometimes know of a person who will do cushion cover sewing.  Just have to ask.  I found that the ones who advertise are very expensive.

Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I am getting ready to have slipcovers made for the CS.  I found an online shop (slipcovershop.com).  Has anyone used them before?  Question, is the vinyl fabric backing on the undersides and backs of the TaB cushions only to prevent slippage?  
    For those of you who have had new slipcovers made, did you remove the original covers, or just leave them in place?  I am undecided on what kind of pattern to use and would appreciate pictures of your slipcovers.  Thanks, Sharon
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Thanks Boo.  That is a great idea.  I think eventually I will make some using bed sheet material.  Right now I think I want to redecorate!  This company also offers elastic covers.  
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @SAM, soooooo nice looking! And what a change that great insertion of color makes.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I've used slipcovers in my 2007 since 2012.  Mine also slip on like a shower cap so that I can easily remove to launder.  I would like to recover them now though.  I don't remove for washing nearly as often as I thought I would.  I had a woman who runs a sewing shop make them for me.  The factory sells slipcovers unless they've quit.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

We knew we wanted denim as it is washable, but with 2 adults, they probably won’t need much laundering.  Thought I was going to do the back cushions, but the denim picks up the blue so nicely, I think I will stop there.  The good thing with the solid 54 inch fabric, she was able to do it without seams.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    SAM said:
    We knew we wanted denim as it is washable, but with 2 adults, they probably won’t need much laundering.  Thought I was going to do the back cushions, but the denim picks up the blue so nicely, I think I will stop there.  The good thing with the solid 54 inch fabric, she was able to do it without seams.
    Denim is a great choice!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014