Options

Southwest Trip

2»

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    That drive through Escalante could cause a white knuckle driver to lose their mind in spots :-)
    Roads were good but ground was snow-covered in many areas. Bryce was pretty white.
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Pxl. Are you in zones now, Friday night. I'm just west of you@ sand hollow. Just down for the weekend. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    normfun - Sorry for delayed response - Was shooting late and then up at 5:00am for sunrise shots and then a long day thru the parks - a short nap was in order. I'm currently south of St. George at a BLM. Where's Sand Hollow?
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    PXL - any recommendations as to a particular site at Arches? I plan on making a reservation for next May.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Pxl. Looks like we just missed. Sand hollow is south of Jerry 9 west of Hurricane. We will meet down the road somewhere I'm sure. Enjoy the area. We are house shopping today in st George. 

• Options
    edited November 2015
    It was first come first serve this late in the season and I got there somewhat late so was half full. Took #11 which wasn't a bad site. Fairly close to the entrance and not too far from the restrooms. Good solar angles.

• Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Norman, will you be moving to St. George?  It's a nice area.  I moved here from PA in 2006.  Tuachan is a nice outdoor theater, good healthcare, enough shopping areas and a Costco.  It's only 1.5 hours to Las Vegas if you want to see a good live performance, do more extensive shopping (they are building a IKEA, to be finished mid 2016), or go to a good restaurant.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    It was first come first serve this late in the season and I got there somewhat late so was half full. Took #11 which wasn't a bad site. Fairly close to the entrance and not too far from the restrooms. Good solar angles.

Thanks PXL - I'm keeping a spreadsheet of various campgrounds and others' opinions/recommendations on the site(s) they like. Hoping when I jump on the reservation system 6 months out I'll get lucky on choosing. There's only a few places I plan on making reservations beforehand and Arches is one of them.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Allie. Yes we looking at moving to St George. We head here most weekends during the winter anyway. If all goes well we will retire in October so we have time. We are very familiar with the area and have lots of friends and cousins in the area. I bet the move from PA was a shock to the system. 

• Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    Normfun, it was a shock to the system, but in a good way.  
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    PXLated said:

PXL - which campground was this site (#11) - you said fairly close to the entrance - entrance to Devils Garden or a different campground? Thanks.

• Options
    Ya, Devil's Garden (Arches) - As far as I know it's the only campground in the park.
  • Options
    Thanks PXL - just wanted to be sure (I thought that's the one you were referring to).

• Options
    The only trouble with that campground is it's at the end of the road, 18 miles from the entrance. Long drive if you want to tour the SW area. Thought about checking out the BLM areas outside the park but didn't get around to it.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    PXLated said:
    The only trouble with that campground is it's at the end of the road, 18 miles from the entrance. Long drive if you want to tour the SW area. Thought about checking out the BLM areas outside the park but didn't get around to it.
    There are a ton of gorgeous BLM sites around Moab.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    Firey Furnace in Arches N P. Permit required to enter the Furnace. No reservations offered in camp ground until March 2016.
  • Options
    Jenn - Have you stayed in any of them?
    I saw them on UltimateCG and was going to check them out but between weather and temps just fled the area.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Good point. My loose plan at the moment is to spend a few days in the park and then explore other parts of the Moab area after that (on my way to Ridgway, CO).  Read that Ken's Lake is nice and quiet but I will also look for some BML sites.

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Ken's Lake sites can be reserved when season is on.  It was okay (nice to have a guaranteed spot in the area during summer season).
  • Options
    I kind of avoid all these places during reservation season - Too crowded for my taste.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I knew I was arriving late in the day and wanted to be sure I had somewhere to stay (it gets busy).  I will often reserve locations when I know that I'm going to arrive at a relatively busy location and I just want to kick back and get ready to start exploring an area the next day.