Options

Winterizing in AZ? Call for AZ T@bbers

Wanderoo and I were wondering if those of you living in southern AZ ever winterize? The dealer told me it wasn't necessary (even though some nights can dip below freezing) because the low temps don't last more than an evening. We wanted to be sure so wondered what others do. Thanks.
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Don't live there but spent a couple weeks in southern NM/AZ around New Years last year when it snowed and had full water onboard. It takes a certain amount of sustained temp to freeze water - you can test this out by putting a fresh tray of water in your fridge and seeing how long it takes to make cubes. If it's not going to be below freezing for a sustained period, no worry about freezing.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Hmmm...I know there have been a few times I've gotten up to go to work and there's ice on my windshield which I've had to scrape - but that's at 6:00 and by 7ish when the sun comes up, it's melted. So would need to know what is considered "sustained".

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    That would just be moisture, that freezes quicker - frost. A glass of water sitting on your hood more than likely wouldn't have frozen. Might not have even gotten slushy. It's a "hard" freeze like an ice cube that causes problems because it expands. Slushy ice probably wouldn't do any damage. Try the ice cube thing and see how long before it's somewhat solid or heavily iced over.
  • Options
    Okay PXL --- will try that (when the forecast calls for those kinds of temps) - thanks!

• Options
    I searched the web and it depends on a lot of factors - starting water temp, purity of water etc - In general, 3-4 hours for an ice cube according to this... https://www.quora.com/How-long-does-it-take-water-to-freeze ...Larger volumes (lakes) freeze slower than small volumes (a thimble).
    When the weather says a low of 30, it will depend on when that occurs and how long it will last. If it's 6am and the sun will be up in an hour, no problem. If it's at midnight and it will remain till sun up, maybe a problem.
  • Options
    Guessing based on that info, better safe than sorry. I'll continue to monitor the weather and take action if needed.

• Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    Hey Michelle, I know it is cooler in Tucson than PHX but our high today was 91°. Did it freeze out your way??!
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    Hey Michelle, I know it is cooler in Tucson than PHX but our high today was 91°. Did it freeze out your way??!
    Haha --- well when I went for my walk the other morning and it was below 70 I teased Wanderoo that it was time to break out the parka! I just saw the temps at Roper Lake State Park will be 70's/50's when I go in a few weeks. Actually will be lovely but I know I'll be bringing my jeans and a few layers =)

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Meanwhile in Florida...... =)

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    I live in Phoenix and I hadn't planned on winterizing. In fact, that is the one part of the forum I have always felt didn't apply to me. We get a few below freezing days (nights) but not many and I'm not headed to any really cold climates this winter. When home, my t@b is covered by a carport.
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Yeah. We don't plan to winterize either. We keep it outdoors at a storage place in the PHX east valley. I might get a cover but I said I'd do that for monsoons and didn't get around to it. We just picked it up to get ready to go out tomorrow morning and other than a little dusty she's just fine. The sun is yellowing some of the white trim unevenly but I'm going to call that patina of loving use.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    kccatekccate Member Posts: 51
    Bgualtieri, 
    would your storage place allow parking for just a few days at a time? My T@b and I are staying at Lost Dutchman SP for a week in Feb, and want to visit a friend in Chandler for a few days first. Her homes association rules will not permit me to park it on her street even for that short time. 
    Cathy and traveling canines, 
    on the sunny side of the street
    2007 Dutchman T@B, C@te's Cr@te
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
  • Options
    We use Power Ranch Storage at 8228 E Germann
    Mesa AZ 85212. Their number is (480) 615-5885
  • Options
    TABlefor3TABlefor3 Member Posts: 10
    We just picked up our Christmas present this weekend and already have a few weekends planned before the big January meet up.  Is anyone concerned about Phx weather this week or is it as Pxlated says the 30ish dip around 6-7am will not be a problem?  From my failing memory banks I seem to remember only one really hard freeze last winter did anyone have any problems then?
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    TABlefor3 said:
    We just picked up our Christmas present this weekend and already have a few weekends planned before the big January meet up.  Is anyone concerned about Phx weather this week or is it as Pxlated says the 30ish dip around 6-7am will not be a problem?  From my failing memory banks I seem to remember only one really hard freeze last winter did anyone have any problems then?
    I was in Arizona mostly, CA some, from Jan 6 to March 21, 2015. I had Coca Colas in the back seat of my truck and they never froze in that time period. In my experience, Cokes freeze very quickly in sub freezing temps....and then they tend to burst ;(  My bottled water was always cold, but it doesn't freeze as quickly as tap water. The coldest overnight temps I experienced, in a teardrop with no heat if not connected to electric, was 39* outside. Just wait until after about 9 am when the sun starts warming up and it's comfy outside...says this Midwesterner ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    I've done from 27-32 lows overnight with 50-65 daytime temps with no problem. The lows forcast are usually just for an hour (max) so not long enough to even skim a pond. Some weather apps will chart the daily temps over time so you can see how long the low temp will last.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Hate to break it to you but (at least here in Tucson), night time hourly temps are expected in the 20's for many hours for 3 nights. I JUST got back from CW getting the blow out plug and will don my rain gear and head to the storage lot after work. I could kick myself for not going yesterday when it was decent out. Kind of freakin' out since I haven't done this before - plan on opening the fw valve under the trailer, letting that drain and closing it. Gray was already drained and I haven't used the black yet. Then will hook my compressor up to the plug. The guy at CW said to turn it on and when it reaches about 35 psi, to detach it, go inside and open the faucet. Then repeat for the shower and toilet. Question - after blowing each area out, don't I reopen the gray to make sure it's drained? Then will pour antifreeze in the traps. Don't I still turn the water lines near the Alde to the winterize positions? Thanks!

• Options
    "20's for many hours" <- How many? Daytime temps look to be in the 50s/60s so plenty warm enough.
  • Options
    Tonight about 5 hrs and tomorrow night about 9 hours.

• Options
    TABlefor3TABlefor3 Member Posts: 10
    Yikes it does look like your dipping into the 20's and I'd probably freak out and learn how to winterize quickly myself but I'm hoping our Phoenix forecast is correct and we're looking at 34ish for the metro area and maybe a little colder for some reason in my neighborhood.  PXLated if one was concerned about it enough could one just run the Alde unattended in their driveway overnight and that would keep the pipes warm enough or are their external lines that just don't reap the benefits of the internal warmth.  I also have the CS so not sure what passes through from the cabin to the back heat wise.
  • Options
    Ya, you could heat the internals, but that doesn't help externally so if it's a lengthy drop in temps you could freeze up. If it was just 2-3 hrs I don't think you'd get a solid, hard freeze. I dewinterized in northern NM last year and came through Tucson & Phoenix over new years when it dropped and snowed without rewinterizing but the nighttime temps dropped hard for just 2-3 hrs.
  • Options
    I was able to drain the FW tank, opened the water lines under the seat and they drained. But I had an issue when I tried to connect the blow out plug to my compressor - the valve tip. I used a different tip (black one that I could fit inside the plug) but it still didn't create enough of a seal or connection to get enough pressure to do much of anything. Guess I need to find some other tip for the compressor but I'm not sure where to find one. Will take both the blow out plug and compressor into the office - there's a guy there that may help. I went ahead and added some antifreeze to the traps and just hope it helps. Looks like it may not get TOO cold tonight but tomorrow night is when it really drops according to the news (~7-8 hrs in the 20's). If I can figure out how to create a better seal to the plug I'll go back tomorrow and try again.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I'm sorry I don't have a link, but my local RV shop had a blow out plug with a shrader (sp - tire) valve end instead of a nipple end so an auto compressor would work. Not sure if it helps you now, but sounds like you will be just fine.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    If I remember correctly, Walmart had both the nipple and the std tire thread versions of the blowout plug. But, as Ratkity mentions, an rv store is the best bet.
  • Options
    Thanks!  I'm calling around today and if someone has it, I'll go there and then back over to the storage place after work.