Options

Taking a trip in late Oct through early November

vitovito Member Posts: 181
I've only had my T@b a few months, and we've only had the opportunity to take it out on two camping trips. But now it looks like we can get away for a week or so in late October through early November, and we might head out to some of the Civil War battlefields in Pennsylvania that we've wanted to visit for years. By that time of the year I assume we could encounter nights where the temps drop below freezing, but I am hoping that we will not have a problem with the T@b. Its likely that we will be using the heater at night, so that should protect the pipes, etc. but when driving the T@b might get quite cold. Am I being foolish to think about a trip this late in the year or is camping still a reasonable activity here in the Midwest at that time?
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    vito said:
    I've only had my T@b a few months, and we've only had the opportunity to take it out on two camping trips. But now it looks like we can get away for a week or so in late October through early November, and we might head out to some of the Civil War battlefields in Pennsylvania that we've wanted to visit for years. By that time of the year I assume we could encounter nights where the temps drop below freezing, but I am hoping that we will not have a problem with the T@b. Its likely that we will be using the heater at night, so that should protect the pipes, etc. but when driving the T@b might get quite cold. Am I being foolish to think about a trip this late in the year or is camping still a reasonable activity here in the Midwest at that time?
    Vito, you just never know what the weather will be like. The last two years we have had accumulating snow by the end of October but other years we weren't even getting a heavy frost before Thanksgiving. I would have a couple of back-up plans for the trip. You could winterize and still user the Alde (assuming you have an Alde.) In this instance you would want to use WAG bags for the restroom and find a shower alternative - perhaps at a CG. A lot of the PA state parks CGs are open until December. It looks like Caledonia State Park has restrooms and warm showers but you might want to call the park to see how long into the colder months these are available. I would say this is a completely do-able trip. Deep snow is unlikely to be an issue at this time of year and even if it were to conme, it wouldn't last more than a day or so in all likelihood. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    I didn't plan on any winterizing until my return from the trip. Going to full hook up campgrounds means I can leave the fresh water tank empty. I would dump both gray and black water tanks when leaving a campground so there shouldn't be much that can freeze even if temps drop below 32. I guess if things really got very cold I could find an RV dealer to totally winterize the T@b and then would head home. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Last year I didn't head way south until the middle of Nov so winterized - had 10 degree weather with light snow - until I hit southern Kansas. Used the Alde the whole time (Oct & Nov). Since the main water tank was empty I carried water jugs. This year I'm getting out earlier so not winterizing.
  • Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    PXLated - How long did the T@B sit at below freezing weather?  Was it just while you were driving?  You didn't winterize before leaving, right?  I'm trying to get a sense of tolerance for future reference.

Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    Beth - I winterized in late Oct when I woke up to snow flurries (got the 10 degree weather a week later) and didn't dewinterize until I finally got to southern Kansas in mid Nov.
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    I've got a Maxx S with the indoor freshwater tank - under the sink - so there are no outside water lines. We spent 4 nights in the Georgia mountains last February, with the first night in the teens (I think subsequent nights were in the 20s.) I may have poured some RV antifreeze into the black and grey tanks to allow it to run to the exposed drain connections - can't remember. I left the shower and water pump access doors open to allow heat from the Alde into those areas. I'm sure the air temps were above freezing during the daytimes. I verified water systems were operational in the mornings; no problems.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    Gerry - Good point, there are internal and external water tanks depending on year of T@B.