Options

The New T@B is Home!!!

webcrawlerwebcrawler Member Posts: 133
edited October 2015 in Introductions
Well a strange turn of events late last week...

Wife changed her mind (<sarcasm> how rare is that!! </sarcasm>) and decided that Sliver/Black would be a better choice than Silver/Blue I talked about in my previous post.  So I did a quick search and found a loaded 2016 T@B Max S at a dealer (Chilhowee RV Center) near Knoxville, TN.  It is about 170 miles from the house so I called them and worked out a deal and put down a deposit.  It did not have the external shower, but it did have the portal window in the wet bath and I kind of like that.  It has the the scuba black interior.  Not my favorite, but we can always change out the cushion covers if it is ever an issue.

We picked it up yesterday (10/10/15) and bought it home so my first drive was a bout 170 miles (in the rain of course).

I parked it in front of the lower garage.  I will need to pour a cement pad for her to live on full time....

A few initial notes:

1) The dealer was pleasant and did a GREAT job installing my Tekonsha Prodigy Wireless Brake controller on the trailer for me.  I had already already installed the 7 pin plug with charging power on my 2015 Lincoln MKC and paired the unit to the hand held controller.  It worked flawlessly on the entire trip.

2) My tow vehicle is a 2015 Lincoln MKC AWD with the 2.0L Ecoboost engine and it has the towing package.  It is rated to tow 3,000 lb.  It seems to tow the little T@B very well.  The Lincoln is a bit heaver and wider than the Ford Escape it is based on.  It had plenty of power and I drove 60-70 mph all the way home.  I averaged a little over 17mpg in the rain so that seemed acceptable.  It gets about 23-25 mpg on the highway normally.  The Lincoln has sway control and it activated once when a really strong gust of wind hit the trailer.  It worked much better to control sway than I though it would.  I often tow a boat that weighs about 2000 lb so I was reasonably sure it would handle the T@B.

3) The bed is plenty wide, but a hair short for me (I'm 6'-4") but It was comfortable.  I took a nap in it when we got her home.  However, I can see hitting my head on the rear cabnites a few times.  I will probably have to re-vent the heat vents as I am sure my pillows with cover the slots.  That seems to be a common modification.

4) The monster heavy table will have to go and be replaced with bed slats and couple of TV trays....

5) I did note (but kept to my self) that the little short 5'-2" wife looks like a Keebler Elf in the tree house when she is inside the trailer.  (I guess I look like a giant...)

6) We already had our first zombie experience at the very first rest stop.  An RV owner and a trucker...

7) I still can't get over how well the trailer vents and the window slide screens/shades are near perfect.  This one does have the new metal clips that hold the shade/screen together.  Nice little mod.  The Front window is a great option...

8) I am pretty good at backing trailers, but the short tounge makes this one a little twitchy... (Go very slow and make small corrections)  You can see from one of the picks how challenging my rear driveway is...

9) I've got a lot to learn about the trailer and camping in it.  I am more or less a complete Newbie to RV's in general.  I have learned a lot from reading the posts here (thanks for that)  Any Tips on winterizing will be most welcome....

10) We are going to attempt a weekend trip in a week or two once I get a few essentials put together. (Again the posts here are most helpful)

Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Nice write-up and very looking set-up!   I'm sure you guys are very happy and excited at the same time....  Thanks for sharing and enjoy your new trailer!   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Nice lookin rig - Congrats, you're gonna love it!
  • Options
    I did get the impression that the guy who did our delivery did not know much about the Alde system in the camper.  However it works great.  I tested the hot water, heater and shower today and all worked flawlessly.  I found the various valves and sorted out how they work.
    Kennesaw, Georgia

2016 Silver/Black T@B M@x S with Scuba Black interior.  2015 Lincoln MKC AWD 2.0L Ecoboost tow vehicle. Tekonsha Prodigy wireless Brake Controller.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    So glad you were able to pick one up so quickly!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Enjoy your new T@B!  Wow, a 2016.  I have a 2014 T@B S M@xx and it seems just like yesterday that I picked her up and started my adventures.  Two years later and I'm still having a ball.  I love my T@B!  I must take this opportunity to put in my +++ for the Norcold 3-way.  I love my 3-way and it has always operated perfectly even when not perfectly level.  This little trailer is my dream come true.  Have fun!!!
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    boo - It's an option - Don't see too many of them though.
  • Options
    Boo,

The portal window in the wet bath is an option but few people get it.  I kind of like it...  The only option this one does not have is the external shower.

I decided to test the stove.   My first T@b cooking is jiffy pop and a good Pino..

Kennesaw, Georgia

• Options
    JiffyPop - Man, haven't had that for years - Makes me want some - I can still almost sing their jinggle :-)
  • Options
    tingle49tingle49 Member Posts: 13
    that is real cool... We just put a deposit on the white with silver trim T@B Max S at Chilhowee also...we take delivery 10/31 long wait going to take a look this Saturday. Our tow vehicle is a 2015 Escape Titanium 4WD 2.0 Eco-boost White with silver roof rack. So now we wait...they say the waiting is the hardest part!
    Sometimes I think well; sometimes I don 't think so well... 
  • Options
    Yep - Waiting is a booger.
  • Options
    Mine will probably be there for repair of not norcold.

hope yours is flawless....
    Kennesaw, Georgia

• Options
    angelheart51angelheart51 Member Posts: 5
    Tingle49 please let me know how you make out towing with your escape. I just bought a used 2014 escape 3 months ago. A few weeks ago I found out that I can tow. I have a post under  Dogs and TAB's, 
    Angelheart51
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I did get the impression that the guy who did our delivery did not know much about the Alde system in the camper.  However it works great.  I tested the hot water, heater and shower today and all worked flawlessly.  I found the various valves and sorted out how they work.
    Hi Congrats on your delivery!  Would you mind telling me in what position the round dial on your Alde was set at coming off the dealer lot...off, hot, cold or open, and if you have monkeyed with it at all...kinda stumped in its purpose/use.  Enjoy the "outfitting stage" (that never seems to never end). :)
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    The round dial is a mixer for adding a little cold water to the hot water.  The Alde system gets way too hot (160 degrees) so they have this valve to add some cold water too it.  I have turned it down about 1/4 turn twice and it seems about right for a shower now with just the hot water value opened and good for washing dishes with just hot water....

Kennesaw, Georgia

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Thanks webcrawler.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    LARKLARK Member Posts: 146
    :) Beauty....same color as mine. Enjoy!
    M@rk and Donn@ : 2015 T@B S Max, Silver/Black, 2008 Toyota Beef Taco DC