Options

Altering the hinge on the sofa back

kyetkyet Member Posts: 11
I know there was a thread and photos on how to alter the hinge (with some extra hinges, bolts, metal angle iron, etc) so the sofa back in it's down position could then be opened by tipping up it's front for much easier access to that storage area.  I even bought the parts from a list I thought I found here.  Well, I finally have the sofa back out for reupholstering and feel if I don't take the extra step now, once I put it back in, it will never get done.  Does anyone remember that thread and could point me in the right direction.  I loved that idea.
2014 T@B Q "Lacy"

Comments

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Over on the Yahoo forum there are a couple of examples.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Thank you.  Do you have a web address for that forum?  I obviously havee seen it before but probaby in my late night wanderings.
    2014 T@B Q "Lacy"
  • Options
    Got it!    Unfortunately with the hinge I have this will not work without major mods to the back cushion.  I think I will now install a small hatch into the area instead.  Oh well.  Thank you again.  The new fabric looks good (of course only the one sofa cushion is done) but I can't wait until they are all done.  I'll keep plugging away.
    2014 T@B Q "Lacy"
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    We have a 2015 Sofitel and I love the double hinge idea. My ratchet hinges are different than the ones in the above right up. They are larger and wider, but with a small modification to the back lower corner of the cushion frame. It was very do able. It required unstappling the fabric at the corners.  Then cutting approx. 1/2"x2" piece from the corner of the wood frame. Restapple the fabric and backing and proceed with the hardware installation.  I would say it is about a 3 on the difficulty scale of 5.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    It's possible that after I got the whole sofa back rehuposltered with the new fabric last night (backing on and all), and leaned it up to show it off...  is when I gave up on the idea.  My sister in law oohing and awwing the fabric asked if it was upside down.  It was!  I had to undo the entire thing and redo.  With 10 more cushions to go, I don't know if I have it in me.  I have been very cranky since last night:)  Looking for every other possible option besides taking that fabric off one more time.  I too have the same wider and more intricate hinges.  Maybe I ought to just leave everything on the kitchen island for one more day and proceed with the original plan.  My OCD want s the trailer cleaned up, the kitchen cleaned up, and the sewing room cleaned up.  Maybe patience is not my best virtue.
    2014 T@B Q "Lacy"
  • Options
    I really see where you are coming from. The double hinge mod is really one of the best ones I have come across. My thanks to kyet for starting this thread or I would not have found it. Without this mod it was almost impossible to reach stuff in the bottom of those two rear compartments.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Very true.  My arms are just not that long:)

2014 T@B Q "Lacy"
  • Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Find an old "bed" sofa at a garage sale and use those hinges!
  • Options
    duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    I have watched the YouTube video on this and would be very interested in installing this mod in my T@B.  Does anyone have the instructions and list of materials required to complete this mod?

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

• Options
    susaninnhsusaninnh Member Posts: 11
    We too are interested in modifying the hinges on our sofa to make it easier to access.  Are the yahoo posts still available? I am looking for other posts on this modification. Any help appreciated.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    The TaB Yahoo forum information is not available.  Sounds like there is a You Tube video out there.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    @susaninnh -- The simplest mod to gain easy access is to remove the hinges as noted in this post. 
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10380/split-the-seat-back-or-not
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496

I have the Richard Lewis book and found this:

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @susaninnh, I modified the sofa back to be a double hinge for easy access to rear storage area using a length of angle iron bolted to the existing hinge with a lag screw for the pivot at the top of the sofa back.
    A notch needs to cut at the top for the frame of the sofa to swivel, and a cut out at the hinge to clear the hinging mechanism. 
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    Someone on this site did a mod for easy access by removing the hinges, then switching the back solid cushion with the bottom split cushions.  They did mention that they leave it in the bed configuration most of the time so they didn't miss sitting against the back cushion.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited September 2020
    Someone on this site did a mod for easy access by removing the hinges, then switching the back solid cushion with the bottom split cushions.  They did mention that they leave it in the bed configuration most of the time so they didn't miss sitting against the back cushion.
    That's the post from @JanandDave that I linked to above. Simply remove the hinges.
    Works great especially if you roll-up your bedding/mattress topper and store it behind the bench during the day. Then it's a couch as normal. At night unroll the bedding and you're done.
    You can also switch cushion positions to achieve split back mode.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    edited September 2020
    Anyone w/ mechanical smarts look into seriously doing this on the 2021 slit seat backs? I don't know if the hinges are the same, since this post may only deal with earlier hinges. If so you'd only have to fabricate two additional assemblies. I was wondering what the mod was until the video and saw the new feature. Very nice.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    susaninnhsusaninnh Member Posts: 11
    We are going to tackle this on a 2004 t@b.  We will not be swapping the seats.  We just want to be able to flip up the couch back to access.  Will post pictures of how it goes.  Installing solar on roof today and completing my new wall paper. 
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2020
    I had loved this suggestion when I first read about it, since it was practically as cheap, and as helpful, as the PWM speed controller for the overhead fan!  A nice side benefit is the bench seat turned out to not be as wobbly when raising and lowering the bench, maybe because it's anchored at the top of the bench instead of at the bottom.

On the 2017 T@B, the ratchet hinge only has 3 positions... flat, 40 degrees and 80 degrees (roughly).  Didn't want to have to raise the bench to 40 degrees just to gain access to some clothing or bedding in that small back area using a new hinge or pivot point.  So used aluminum angle iron all the way up from original bottom of the bench where it used to be attached to the ratchet hinge, up to the top of the bench, and added an extra hinge at the top of the bench on both sides.  That way the front of the back bench lifts 20 degrees even when in bed mode.  But I had to move the ratcheting hinges a half inch closer to the front of the cabin to allow that.

Or one can raise bench to the 40 degree point, then freely rotate the new hinges 30-50 degrees, and use the table to prop the bench in place for loading and unloading.

It took several fittings to get this to work, since there's not much room between the bench and the walls. Easiest way to do this for me turned out to be unscrewing the hinges from the bottom 2x4 first, and rotate the bench out to where there was room to adjust everything until there was no binding of the cushion with the ratchet hinges, yet was held firmly by the new aluminum arms.  I couldn't find a 1.5" wide hinge that was also 6" long at the local big fixit store, so went with 1.5" by 1.25", and its been working, but it seems like the top hinge would be stronger if it attached to the bench over a longer span... and not just to the top piece of wood in the cushion / bench.  Used glue on the screws and loctite on all the bolt & nut pairs that went through the new aluminum arm.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    We did this mod about 5 years ago. It is fairly involved. Maybe a 4 on a scale 5. A year later we had NuCamp replace our cushions with the newer firmer version. At that time we elected not to do it again. Since we leave ours lay flat 95% of the I was more inclined to just remove the the hinges completely. That’s just our experience.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2020
    @Dalehelman Intrigued by your replacing of cushions. Not the best sleep on the ones I have (too soft).  Do they just reupholster your existing ones, or send a new back bench, rear seats, and the side cushions to your fave dealer for $1500?  Do you get a choice of colors or patterns, cloth or fake leather?

Never mind.  Found your post of Nov'16 where you indicated it was $600.  Or was four years ago.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max