Options

5 Nights at Walmart

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

When you are driving from Pittsburgh to Colorado, it takes a couple of days to get there. So, on my most recent trip, I participated in the Rvers rite of passage, I spent a few nights in Walmart parking lots. I had read about this and even watched some videos to prepare myself and finally worked up the courage to try it for myself. Here are some questions that were answered for me:

Is it safe?

This is probably the most important question and the answer will vary by location, but, overwhelmingly I believe it is safe in many, if not most places. No one approached me, at all, while at a Walmart. I parked under lights, when possible and near other RVs or trucks who were overnighting.

Is it loud?

I found it fairly busy up until around 11:00 PM and then, in most places, it got pretty quiet. One night in Nebraska when the weather was bad, there were a lot of trucks running overnight and that was not as quiet, but still plenty quiet enough for me to sleep well.

How do you know which Walmarts allow overnight parking?

There are a few ways to do this. Several sites keep track of where it is and is not allowed. I have done some research for Walmarts  along my route and saved those locations on the maps program on my smartphone. RVParky.com is a pretty good site, but sometimes they say no parking when parking is allowed. I found this to be true of a Camping World and Cabelas in Omaha.

Here are some things that I found very convenient:

• Very easy for bad weather - 2 of the nights I used Walmart, the weather had turned bad. I pulled into Walmart, unplugged the TV, turned on the propane and hunkered down for the evening. The bonus is that there is no mud!

• TV reception - even with tiny antenna, I am able to get a few channels.

• Good cell phone/data connections - catch up on email, check the weather, look at your route, etc…

• Pharmacy and grocery are right there - I had to pick up some allergy meds and groceries along the way. The groceries at Walmart are generally cheaper than the tiny stores in many of the National Park area towns, too.

• Usually have food and gas close by - I like to start the day with a full tank

• It's free!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I am so with you!  I never thought I'd do this.  However, after a couple of cross country trips where I stayed in random RV parks along interstates that I felt were sketchy, I finally took the Walmart plunge.  I've done it many times now and find it both safe and very convenient.  The fact that it is free is seriously the cherry on the sundae.  

What I've learned is that even if you encounter a Walmart that "doesn't allow" overnight parking, chances are it is still ok from Walmart's standpoint.  Typically, it's due to a local ordinance.  At one such Walmart, I was inside stocking up on groceries and asked to speak with the manager.  She said that technically the local community didn't allow overnight camping but that they'd never seen anyone questioned about it.  There were other RVs out there, so we tucked in the middle, and it was just fine.  Now I mostly use whether there are other RVs there as my gauge.  The Allstays Walmart app is a good preview, though.  I love being able to run in, get some groceries, maybe a breakfast sandwich from the Subway inside, whatever.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    One more thought, we've also tried to be very discreet.   Normally we arrive after dark and leave in the early morning.  We just get out of the car and into the trailer.  I'd think that setting up outside and looking like Walmart tailgaters might attract negative attention.  
  • Options
    Lisa33 said:
    One more thought, we've also tried to be very discreet.   Normally we arrive after dark and leave in the early morning.  We just get out of the car and into the trailer.  I'd think that setting up outside and looking like Walmart tailgaters might attract negative attention.  
    That is me, too. The earliest I arrived was sunset. I did hang out until the pharmacy opened at 9:00, but that seemed legit since I was waiting to do business with them. I also parked Fr an hour once to nap, but I set my alarm and was in and out quickly.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    About the only thing I use the AllStays app for anymore is it shows Walmarts - The ones allowing overnights have a yellow W, the ones restricted have a red W. Have never stayed in one.
    Have an acquantenance that's been on the road for 3-4 years and I remember him talking about Walmart rules - No slide outs or canopys deployed was one.
  • Options
    The Long, Long, Honeymoon folks have a good video about the, do's and don'ts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVvScIscBdo

• Options
    I always manage to find nice little muni campgrounds - In one again right now - About 5 miles from the nearest Walmart - Six pads with electric. Next to the ballpark. Small town of less than a thousand. Free :-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I always manage to find nice little muni campgrounds - In one again right now - About 5 miles from the nearest Walmart - Six pads with electric. Next to the ballpark. Small town of less than a thousand. Free :-)
    Harder to locate and get information on them around 8:00 or 9:00 at night.

• Options
    True - I make sure I never go that late :-)
    It's also easier if one isn't traveling freeways.
  • Options
    AllieAllie Member Posts: 194
    On a round x-country trip in 2014, I stayed overnight at campgrounds, KOA's when on my way back east.  Ran me about 40-50$ per night.  I was only their to sleep, and shower.  On the way back, I used Wal-Mart and truck stops for free, except for the charge to shower at the truck stop.  Saved quite a bit of money.  One Wal-Mart did not seem to have any campers in the parking lot, and did not look very safe.  Found another in the same town a few miles away and the one corner was loaded with travel trailers.  Felt more secure there.  On that same trip, I stayed in the parking lot (under a light) of a truck stop with a restaurant and gift shop.  About 3AM, I heard a chain rattling and thought someone was trying to unhook my little trailer and run off with it.  Poked my head up to look out the window and came face to face with a fella emptying the trash cans that were chained to the lamp post.  Scared him as much as he scared me.
    Allie
    Condo A-Go-Go
    2018 Casita Spirit Dlx (KONDO)
    2017 Tacoma (AH GOGO)
    S. UTAH
  • Options
    Allie - I've only paid $50 twice (CA State Parks) - I do mostly boondocking but in areas where that isn't possible I find nice little county or municipal park campgrounds. Some are free but others $10. But I rarely travel freeways, they're harder to find on those routes. Right now I'm shooting an old church so am boondocking in the old cemetery (only semi-level spot) but there are five muni campgrounds within 10 miles. One is $10, one is $15, one is $25, and two are free. For $50, I can get a motel room :-)
  • Options
    kccatekccate Member Posts: 51
    Pxlated, how do you locate the municipal sites?
    Cathy and traveling canines, 
    on the sunny side of the street
    2007 Dutchman T@B, C@te's Cr@te
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i
  • Options
    kccate - A little app on my iPad called UltimateCG (CampGround).
    Some areas have a lot of munis, other areas don't. Some have County parks other areas don't. Some areas have neither but I always look.
    I stayed in 5-6 munis crossing Nebraska. All had elect. hookups (some had water hookups) all were free for 1-4 days (or donation). One even had good solid WiFi.
  • Options
    Allie said:
    On a round x-country trip in 2014, I stayed overnight at campgrounds, KOA's when on my way back east.  Ran me about 40-50$ per night.  I was only their to sleep, and shower.  On the way back, I used Wal-Mart and truck stops for free, except for the charge to shower at the truck stop.  Saved quite a bit of money.  One Wal-Mart did not seem to have any campers in the parking lot, and did not look very safe.  Found another in the same town a few miles away and the one corner was loaded with travel trailers.  Felt more secure there.  On that same trip, I stayed in the parking lot (under a light) of a truck stop with a restaurant and gift shop.  About 3AM, I heard a chain rattling and thought someone was trying to unhook my little trailer and run off with it.  Poked my head up to look out the window and came face to face with a fella emptying the trash cans that were chained to the lamp post.  Scared him as much as he scared me.
    Last year I paid $40-50 a night to sleep and shower. I hope most of those days are behind me now, too.

• Options
    $40-50/night - Wow - No way I'd do that, I could get a hotel room with cable/wifi/etc for that. Going thru Albuquerque last year I got an Inns/Suites room for $33. Similar in Topeka and Mesa.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    $40-50/night - Wow - No way I'd do that, I could get a hotel room with cable/wifi/etc for that. Going thru Albuquerque last year I got an Inns/Suites room for $33. Similar in Topeka and Mesa.
    I was traveling in 100 degree heat and high humidity, I need a/c and somewhere not far from the interstate.

• Options
    Don't have to venture far in many cases... Aurora, NE - 2.5 miles off the freeway - City Park...Free or Donate, Elect/Water hookups, great park WiFi :-)
    Can't use a generator at Walmart I don't believe so no air there.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Don't have to venture far in many cases... Aurora, NE - 2.5 miles off the freeway - City Park...Free or Donate, Elect/Water hookups, great park WiFi :-)
    Can't use a generator at Walmart I don't believe so no air there.
    When you have to drive from CO to Pgh in 2-3 days, you have to get your miles in and can't necessarily plan around these parks. After my experience in Platte, not sure they are the best spots, anyway. It might be a little more difficult if they are or not in the dark.

PXLated, you have to remember those of us who still have bosses to report to have time constraints to work around.

I am not sure about generators at Walmart... but I prefer to travel in the fall, anyway, mist of the time. When I travel in the summer, I will do what I have to do to stay reasonably comfortable... and my T@b is more comfortable than most motels... and without the bed bugs!

• Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Pxlated.  May be time to add a minibar in the t@b.  But I share your approach to traveling.  I understand Jenn's issue, but can't bring myself to hang out at a walmart.  
  • Options
    Jenn - Oh, I understand, just pointing out that there are options besides Walmart - The worst muni I've been in beats a Walmart parking lot in my book. And, like Platte, there are good and bad Walmarts - saw one in KS that had a ton of semis with their engines running. Not much peacefull sleep there I wouldn't think.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - Oh, I understand, just pointing out that there are options besides Walmart - The worst muni I've been in beats a Walmart parking lot in my book. And, like Platte, there are good and bad Walmarts - saw one in KS that had a ton of semis with their engines running. Not much peacefull sleep there I wouldn't think.

Different strokes for different folks. :) My Platte experience was with a State Recreation area. So far, I have had all good Walmart experiences.

• Options
    I never thought I'd be ok with Walmart, either.  I don't hang out there, though.  We get there when it's dark, maybe do a little restocking shopping and go to sleep.  Then we wake up early in the morning and leave.  In the summer of 2014, we took a six week trip around Colorado, Utah and Oregon.  With  boondocking, Walmarts and the occasional federal campground, I averaged $2.50 per night for camping fees.  I couldn't afford the long stretches on the road otherwise.  I figure I saved about $1200 on that trip alone.  
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    For safety alone, Wal-Mart every time.  Worst experience I've ever had was at a muni in KS.  It was clean, paved hiking trails, small lake, two group pavilions, playground, paved pads, two shower houses.  Perfect, right?  Wrong.  After dark, I would have felt safer on the streets of any ghetto in America.  Teenage cruisers, boom boxes, drug deals, etc.  Not saying I would never stay at another one, but I would certainly investigate it more carefully, and given the choice of a Wal-Mart across the street, Wally, here I come.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Larry, it is a good point you have there.  Security wise, Wal-Mart is a far better choice, they have their own security, cameras on the lot, and at least here at home, the local sheriff deputies seem to like to hang out there too.

To each their own, I do my travel much like Jenn, I still have a full time job, so I have a limited amount of time and have to plan my route carefully around reaching goals and being at certain places at certain times.  For me, sometimes private campgrounds work, sometimes munis, and sometimes Wal-mart is just fine for an overnight. 

I am already looking at a two week trip in August 2016.  I have a week to get to Salt Lake City for a weekend event, then a week to get home.  I have to pick and choose what I can do on the way, and unfortunately a lot of interstate travel will be required.  It is what it is.  Wal-mart stops will be a part of that plan.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Safe travels, Nathan.  I realize no one wants to "camp" at Wal-Mart, but in most cases people find themselves there because they've been caught with not much other option.  That has been the case every time I've stayed at one.  I've usually traveled longer than I'd planned and there were no campgrounds of any kind on any of the five apps I use.  I have yet to set it as a destination, but have been so thankful that it was there as an option.

BTW, if you find yourself needing to take advantage of one on I-80 near Lexington, NE, I recommend it.  You will, however, find yourself among several others and a large contingent of semis.  It's a popular stop.  I stopped there going and coming on my trip to The Black Hills this summer.  I even met some friendly fellow travelers there.  And, it is where I watched the total lunar eclipse.  I might add that if you ever find yourself among lights while wanting to star gaze, you can hold a roll of paper towels up to your eye then block out the remainder of the light with your hands at the bottom.  Helps considerably.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Imagine that - The guy that never plans (me), has never been left with nothing but the Walmart option ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I do understand ya'lls dilemma though - Limited time, get from point A to point B as fast as you can so you can spend the max time at B so push it till there's nothing but the Walmart option. Or the easiest option becomes Walmart.
  • Options
    RZRBUG said:
    Safe travels, Nathan.  I realize no one wants to "camp" at Wal-Mart, but in most cases people find themselves there because they've been caught with not much other option.  That has been the case every time I've stayed at one.  I've usually traveled longer than I'd planned and there were no campgrounds of any kind on any of the five apps I use.  I have yet to set it as a destination, but have been so thankful that it was there as an option.
    I actually plan for the Walmart stops. It is a good time to restock on groceries, allergy meds, etc.

• Options
    PXLated said:
    Imagine that - The guy that never plans (me), has never been left with nothing but the Walmart option ;-)
    I never plan either, except for a final destination.  That's why I've been caught with no other option.  I usually travel state roads that often have no facilities to accommodate travelers of any kind.  On my last trip, I got caught in the middle of nowhere at dark, a time that I have much difficulty seeing how to drive.  There was nothing within miles except a Wal-Mart.  I don't feel comfortable pulling into any old parking lot, or a vacant spot along the road, or a cemetery.  Whatever anyone's travel method, it's fine with me.  If you like munis and I don't, that's fine.  If I like Wal-Mart and you don't....

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    In all our years as tent campers I never got why someone would want to "camp" at Walmart. Ewww, a parking lot? Now that we are anticipating some cross country travel I totally get it - if you just need a place to sleep for 8 hours, why pay $45 bucks at an RV resort or $130 at a motel?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Alot depends on where you're traveling - In some areas there just aren't many options while in others there's plenty.