Options

Battery question

My dealer told me that we can upgrade a group 24 battery for more capacity - it would still be a group 24, whatever that means, and would still be the same size, but would have a higher reserve amp/hour rating. 

Can can someone explain? I was under the impression that all group 24 batteries were the same. 
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    That's what I thought also.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    No, it can vary. I have seen them at 84ah and 100ah.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn - Does it say on the battery which it is?
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I did find a 100 ah group 24 by Trojan, but it is flooded and I want to stay with agm so I'm thinking of going to a group 27.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Dealer says a group 27 won't fit. What would you have to do to use one?
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    This is the 100ah battery that the dealer had put in my T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    I checked outside dimensions on some group 24 and 27 battery boxes.  The group 27 box is almost three inches longer and a quarter inch taller with same width.  My trailer isn't here, but my memory thinks it will fit.  Of course, Jenn offers a reasonable solution.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Just laying down under and feeling around the battery box frame it appears there is only an inch or so extra in length and 1/2 inch in width. Doesn't sound like a 27 would fit without a different frame. Didn't open the battery box to see if there was any extra space in there.
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    The innards of a battery can vary along several dimensions.

1. Area of plate surface.
    2. Quantity, arrangement, and porosity of active materials.
    3. Quantity and strength of electrolyte.
    4. Circulation of electrolyte.
    Different arrangements of these creates varying storage capacity inside different batteries with the same dimensions (Group size generally refers to dimensions of the battery , not the AMP capacity -- because of additional volume, group 27 can potentially have more of the good innards (surface plate area, etc., so are generally considered to have higher capacity -- but this is actually highlighted in the storage capacity measured in AMP's).  In general, most use Reserve Capacity as the measure (the number of minutes a battery can maintain a useful voltage under a 25 ampere discharge.  This gives an indication of the quality of the innards (surface of plates, quality of materials).   

Battery groups generally refer to the outer dimensions of the battery.  Group 24 is generally 10-11 inch length while Group 27 is generally 12-12 1/2 inch length (width and height are generally comparable between the two groups).  I remember having to build new platform to fit group 27 in my DM t@B because length of battery was too long. 

The battery capacity within Group 24 and Group 27 batteries does vary.  Look at a battery speciality store and you can see the range of capacity available at each group size.  As Jenn highlighted, Interstate has a 100 AMP Group 24 version (as do others) in deep cycle.   

While the group size indicates relative size, there is some variation in dimensions within each group.  You can measure the length of the current battery box to determine what is maximum size that can be accomodated (check width and height to ensure that the battery volume will fit in the space).  

• Options
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Aassuming that the cost difference isn't significant, I'd definitely opt for more AH.  
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    He said the delta would be around $30. I'm for getting the biggest one we can stuff in there. Our first T@B summer we'll be taking weekend trips only and it would be nice not to have to deal with a generator while we're learning everything else. 
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581