Propane/Battery Lock

Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,361
I camp in some rough locales, so was concerned about securing my propane tank and battery.  Simple mailbox lock at HomeDepot for under $5.00.  Used a Step Drill from Harbor Freight for $6.00.
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Someone told me it was illegal to have a locked propane tank. Said it was because police/firemen need to get at it in case of accident/fire. I notice most campers have cheap, unlocked covers. T@Bs used to have a lockable latch. Any idea if there's any truth to this?
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The manufacturer, Pleasant Valley, cannot put a lock on the tub/tongue box, because, as you said, PXLated, due to being able to have quick access to the shut off for propane in case of a fire. 

The end user, or owner, can be made aware of this law for the manufacturer, but the law does not apply to the end user/owner. 

I can put a lock on mine, but I have experienced a grill fire at home and I know how scarey it was to reach in and shut the propane valve off. 

I carry a couple of long of long bike cables and padlocks so I could lock the cables around the box if I felt the contents were in danger.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,394
    My T@b came with a lock. How else would you keep it from flying open during transit?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Not sure how hard it would be for police/fire to break into a plastic tub if needed, but understand.  I added a combo lock to mine so that I don't need to have key on me to access. 
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,361
    OMG. I didn't consider that potential hazard. I'll check with Phoenix Fire and make sure I'm legal. Thanks for everyone's comments. This is my first RV, so learning as I go.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
    Jenn - Mine has a latch, it just doesn't lock.
    jkjenn said:
    My T@b came with a lock. How else would you keep it from flying open during transit?
    Jenn, apparently Pleasant Valley originally had locks, but had to stop installing them when advised of the ramifications of installing the lock.  I have a rubber "do-dad" that holds my diamond plate lid on place. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I had asked the factory about this about a week ago as to whether the front tub came with a lock.  They responded that there isn't the ability to lock it since NFPA disallows locking due to an LP tank. 

I certainly understand people's concerns via theft, etc. as we have seen incidents of battery theft reported in the LG units from time to time.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    My lock, as a lock, I think is fairly worthless. As a matter of fact, it needs to be replaced. I wonder if the rubber do-dads would fit that hole?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited October 2015
    jkjenn said:
    My lock, as a lock, I think is fairly worthless. As a matter of fact, it needs to be replaced. I wonder if the rubber do-dads would fit that hole?
    If you happen to get the rubber do-dad, Jenn, warning....there is elasticity in the rubber and it pulls my hand back and I almost have a permanent cut in the web of my hand between my thumb and finger. I'm trying to re-educate myself to push the do-dad into place, rather than stretching it into place. Try it, you'll understand. Guys, your hands are stronger than mine, so this may or may not happen to you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    I don't know Verna, the older I get the creakier my hands get. One of these days I'm going to have to have the bag boy open all the jars before I leave the grocery store or I'll starve :-(
    My lock is close to being shot so I need to some up with something else to keep the lid down. It doesn't have to be a lock. I would like to see if I can fit something for that hole, though, even if it is just a rubber plug.

The simplest would probably be to just get a replacement part if LG has any - or directly from the mfg
    PXLated said:
    The simplest would probably be to just get a replacement part if LG has any - or directly from the mfg
    I asked Marvin and Austin at Tearstock. They can't sell them.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Verna - Do they remember who the mfg was? Could then either find another source or go direct.
    It seemed to be a reluctant conversation, PXLated. I know Pleasant Valley was surprised to find out about the regulations. I don't know anything else.  

You could find a lock similar to the one pictured above in hardware stores, or you could find locks like the ones on the galley hatches ( just like what is on my truck camper shell). 

I think one like what is on my truck camper shell would last longer than the conventional lock, as pictured above....but that's my personal opinion.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Personally I'm not worried about it. If someone wants to steal something a simple little lock won't stop them. I'd rather have them just get in and take the tank than bust up the cover to get at it.
    As I said, I use a combo lock.  Usually leave it unlocked.  If I'm concerned, I just switch number and have a little more security (note use of term little  -- nothing on mine will do much to deter).  I generally subscribe to leave it unlocked ... most they can grab from one is the propane and random blocks that I store in the area, since batteries have been relocated.  And no that is not the combination to open it.  I locked it for the picture.
    Since you said you lock it by moving one digit - Hmmm, how long would it take. Thinking like a thief, still too long, I'd just pry it open :-)
    Naw, I shifted everything.  And as a thief, yes, I'd actually just pop the rubber thing that hold the '06 lid to the tub and go for it.   The combo is incredibly simple if you know me, but random if you don't.

I assume if they have to think how to do it, it may make them think twice.   Best I can hope for.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,159
    I like the combi lock idea - one less key - but then I'd have to find my glasses to open it... B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    ChanW said:
    I like the combi lock idea - one less key - but then I'd have to find my glasses to open it... B-)
    I did when I first saw it and then remembered that twice, I just wanted to get and open up the propane bottle ASAP, as it was pouring rain.

Again, unless I'm concerned, I leave it unlocked.  Under normal circumstances, it's not in the way.  

Could also use some paint colors to create cover numbers and then just remember a color sequence (wouldn't need glasses).  
  • larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    My father always said locks are for honest people!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
    Or at least only mildly dishonest people.
    mash2 said:
    Again, unless I'm concerned, I leave it unlocked.  Under normal circumstances, it's not in the way.  

Could also use some paint colors to create cover numbers and then just remember a color sequence (wouldn't need glasses).  
    Does it latch if unlocked? I am looking to make sure it is secure while I am driving.

It has held on mine for 3 years....  Not sure how the new one's attached.  On the DM's, it fits well.  I have it tightened so that it has a positive hold that I need to rotate to open (not hard but it doesn't move unless I twist it.  I could lock it, but it has been fine.  If you want, I can try taking a picture of the reverse side of the mechanism so you could get a sense of the setup.
    mash2 said:
    It has held on mine for 3 years....  Not sure how the new one's attached.  On the DM's, it fits well.  I have it tightened so that it has a positive hold that I need to rotate to open (not hard but it doesn't move unless I twist it.  I could lock it, but it has been fine.  If you want, I can try taking a picture of the reverse side of the mechanism so you could get a sense of the setup.
    That would be really awesome, if you have the time. Thanks!

Will do...

Spent the evening repairing heater and I'm back to normality so will document next time I'm in the area of the propane box.  

I checked and it looks like the propane box setup is similar to my DM setup.