Options

Living in a TAB MAX S during the winter... Doable?

Plan to give it a try here in Colorado if I indeed go thru with my purchase. :)

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    What's the temp range in your area of CO?
  • Options
    ColoradoGalColoradoGal Member Posts: 5
    Average... winter 20-30"s
  • Options
    ColoradoGalColoradoGal Member Posts: 5
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    You would need some skirting around the bottom. A way to trap heat. Heat tape on water line.  A dependable heat source gas or electric. A cover such as a car port would be good.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited October 2015
    Waste water (gray & black) would be a problem unless you had a sewer hookup. Could freeze.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    You would need some skirting around the bottom. A way to trap heat. Heat tape on water line.  A dependable heat source gas or electric. A cover such as a car port would be good.
    If you get a portable car port beware of the danger of collapse if you get heavy snow.

I was actually just thinking about this today. Please let us know what you end up doing. I would like to do some winter camping in Colorado. I would be curious as to how hard it is to find fresh water fills and dump stations.

Are you planning on being mobile or staying in one spot? If one spot, you might want to get a macerator for the black tank.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    ColoradoGal, I'm would love an update on this.  I'm in CO and would love to go out boondocking in the winter and was wondering what could be done to make this possible.  I would love to have the water (fresh, gray and black), but could pretend I'm in a tent again.  Will the Aldi, that uses glycol, still work for heat only?
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Smullis7 said:
    ColoradoGal, I'm would love an update on this.  I'm in CO and would love to go out boondocking in the winter and was wondering what could be done to make this possible.  I would love to have the water (fresh, gray and black), but could pretend I'm in a tent again.  Will the Aldi, that uses glycol, still work for heat only?
    Just bring your shovel to dig out your boondocking site! I think you would have to use a generator because of the need to heat tanks. If you are good without the fresh water or tanks, you can definitely do it, I have done it. The Alde is a phenomenal little unit! I brought my own fresh water and used WAG bags. Your ability to recharge with solar will be diminished in the winter, but should still mostly work in CO, where you get all of that sunshine. In PA, it would not work. Nov - March is mostly grey skies. :(

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Smullis7Smullis7 Member Posts: 221
    Thanks, Jenn.  I'm from western PA near the border of Ohio...just NW of Beaver Falls, so I know the winter grey skies there.  :-)
    Sheila and the Mullis Pups (Winston, Morgan, Leroy & Dakota)
    M@bel M@y, my 2017 T@B Outback Max S (silver w/black trim), towed by Maude Myrtle, my 2016 Jeep Rubicon Hardrock.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yes, Alde works fine in cold. We camped as low as 5 below in Ontario one year, and stayed toasty.
    I wouldn't recommend using the water or tanks, however. As soon as we hit the road leaving camp, all the heat left the living space, and the sink developed an icicle on its spigot. We should have winterized before we left camp, but that would've been pretty difficult in the cold, so next time we'll just use jugs.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya