Tire pressure monitoring system

PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
Curious if anyone has used a tire pressure monitoring system with their T@Bs. We have them in our cars and they work very well. One time the one in my car alerted me to a puncture and recently my husband's car indicated he had low pressure in a couple of tires.  There are 3rd party systems similar to this that are marketed to RVers. http://www.amazon.com/Accutire-MS-4378GB-Pressure-Monitor-Trailer/dp/B002PMM9N2
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Cool! I think a trailer's an excellent use for that technology. I wonder how reliable this particular system is. The price seems surprisingly low.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    This one does not have great reviews but there are other more expensive ones. All seem to have the same technology. 
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    That is cheap - I had to replace two of my tire sensors - valve stems got damaged - and they were like $90 each.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Ah... checked those reviews. Yikes! I guess I'll have to wait for a better product to surface before I make any conclusions.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    The sensors seem fragile. When they replaced my tires they recommended replacing the sensors too.

It SEEMS like these could be helpful. If you're tooling down the road and a trailer tire blows out how would you know?
  • mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I added acu-pressure safety caps (40 PSI) for my tires.  While driving they don't say anything, but when I stop and start I roll around the tab and make sure that both are green.  (not good for punctures; just let's me know if tire is low whenever I look).  Then again, they were only 12 dollars.

@mash2, are there indicators right there on the caps?
    Yes.  You buy them by pressure.  I bought 40 PSI's.  At 40 PSI, the entire area is green.  When pressure falls to about 36 PSI (10% below on a 40 PSI cap) , the green turns to yellow;  at 30 PSI, the area turns red( 25% below again on a 40 PSI Cap).  Had them for a while and like them.  I check pressure every once in a while (always the pessimist with technologies), but it is comforting to get visual confirmation the the tire is still good to go.  They cam in a 4 pack (couldn't find 2 pack in 40 PSI, so just stuck the extra in my spare junk drawer in the tab in case one is needed.)  I like the low tech approach.  I had one flat, and it was pretty obvious that it was a flat.  So for me, low pressure indicator made the most sense to me and it was surprisingly simple yet graceful solution for me.  Apparently there are some with red and green and red yellow and green.  I have three color and it is simple to see if pressure is lower than I want  (the other version shows red, red+green, green as the choices).  I like the more obvious yellow.  

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    mash2 - Where did you get them - auto parts store?
    amazon... or their own website.   Available from both.  Not sure what retailers carry.
  • ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 270
    This is the system we got.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHHV2OU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

We read too many accounts of trailers being damaged by blowouts and flats. and my parents experienced a couple that caused lots of damage. We were heading to Yellowstone and wanted piece of mind. t has worked great so far. We had one sensor come with a small leak but it came with 5 so we swapped it out. We put 2 on the main tires and one on the spare so we can keep an eye on it also. Don't want to have to replace a flat only to find out the spare is empty. Pricey yes, but repairing damage from a shredded tire is more. 

My theory is many blowouts are are from tires that get low over time or from slow leaks and then overheat or pop a bead. Now, I can watch for that.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ChrisK said:
    This is the system we got.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHHV2OU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

We read too many accounts of trailers being damaged by blowouts and flats. and my parents experienced a couple that caused lots of damage. We were heading to Yellowstone and wanted piece of mind. t has worked great so far. We had one sensor come with a small leak but it came with 5 so we swapped it out. We put 2 on the main tires and one on the spare so we can keep an eye on it also. Don't want to have to replace a flat only to find out the spare is empty. Pricey yes, but repairing damage from a shredded tire is more. 

My theory is many blowouts are are from tires that get low over time or from slow leaks and then overheat or pop a bead. Now, I can watch for that.
    It does seem to get good ratings but it appears as though the installation might cause a lot of grief. Something with known installation difficulties might be worth letting CW install, especially if you are a Good Sams member.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014