Friction Sway Bar for the Tab????

BertBert Member Posts: 87
The parts guy sold me a Valley (now Husky) friction sway bar (http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-hitches/sway-control-valley.htm) when I bought my new Tab Outback Max S. I'm a sucker for anything that promises to make things safer. Did I waste my money?

Comments

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Well, you're only the second Tabber I've heard was sold one so you decide ;-)
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Mine came with one, but I forgot to put it on once since I've never had to tow a camper with one in the past (even heavier campers). I didn't have a problem with towing or sway at all when I forgot it. That said, if there's an accident and it's not there, am I liable? My worst problem with that silly thing is forgetting to take it off before backing up. They bend into funky shapes if you jack knife while backing (TV dependent from what someone else told me - YMMV). 

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • BertBert Member Posts: 87
    Thanks, Sandra, Ratkity and PXLated. The device is relatively inexpensive ($50) compared to its installed cost ($180). A plate that supports one end of the sway bar now covers holes drilled into the tongue frame so the plate could be mounted there. The other end is supported by a plate installed under the trailer ball. Both plates could be removed. I'll ponder my options a while before figuring out what to do. Articles recommending sway bars say sway is most likely to be a problem when descending steep grades in tight curves (pretty frequent in the mountains around here) and when getting buffeted by 18 wheelers as they pass. That said, the sway bar is supposed to be removed when driving on slick (wet or icy) surfaces and when backing. Not sure I'm good at remembering such things each and every time I'm supposed to.