Options

Full-Timing It (or near) In Your T@B

NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
This thread was inspired by ejodoin who's thinking of full-timing it as a traveling nurse but others here have thought about it or are planning on giving it a shot also. Don't know what the best format is as everyone travels differently - I do a lot of one nighters, others find spots and settle, etc. Maybe Q&As or summaries of what works, what doesn't.

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Since I am considering this, I have benefitted from the LoLoHo (The Long, Long, Honeymoon), Gone with the Wynns, and Technomadia blogs and videos for a lot of information. 

The thing I am usually interest in is water and tank management.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    After 3 months in the Southwest last winter in my 5x10 Silver Shadow teardrop, I'll feel like I'm camping in a mansion in my T@B.  While this isn't as long term as PXLated and others, this was 1/4th of a year.

Last winter, I totally "winged it". And I'll do it that way again.  If I see something that looks interesting, I'll stop and see it and find somewhere to camp. With a bathroom inside and the tanks, I am totally self contained and that means I can camp anywhere. Last winter I was confined to campgrounds or BLM Campground (with no facilities) and this winter I can stay overnight wherever I feel safe. 

I stayed as long as 6 days in one site, and a lot of one nighters. I used Allstays Camp and RV app on my iPhone last year. Using PXLated's advice, I will try to use the Ultimate Camping app so I can find small campgrounds in the small towns and counties. I've stayed at one in Illinois and it was nice.

Dumping will be a different experience. I've found the Flying J truck stops charge $7.50 to dump with a Good Sam membership ($25/yr) or $10 without. Good Sam memberships also gives 3 cents discount on gas at Flying J/Pilot.  Plus you get a discount at the Camping World stores. Some things are less expensive than Amazon, but not always. If you stay at a campground, find one with a dump and use it. Also, the full service campsites would be another choice.

Water wasn't as hard to get as I thought last year, but it will be different with a fresh water tank this year. I filled four 4-gallon Reliance jugs at campgrounds before I left to explore, so I had plenty of water when I was Boondocking. I only drink bottled water when traveling, so I keep at least two cases of bottled water. I did buy a pump to go on one of those clear 5-gallon jugs that you can refill or exchange in grocery stores. I'll see if that is a good idea of not, it would be nice if it fit on 3 gallon jugs made the same. 

Groceries are available everywhere.  Fry's in AZ, Ralph's in CA, King Sooper in CO and City Market in CO are all associated with Kroger's here in Indiana, and it was nice to be able to get their store brands I was used to. Walmarys seem to be all over the place, and convenience stores have milk if you run out.

I did have a problem getting rid of trash. I found I wasn't the only one using the trash cans in the Walmart parking lots. I hate to keep trash for too long because of smell and bugs (although not as many bugs in AZ except ants). 

Safety is a major concern when solo camping, especially long term. Don't get complacent and let your guard down. Walk softly and carry a good walking stick for two legged and four legged creatures and those ground slithering kind, too. Don't advertise any weapons you may have. Know how to use them, be familiar with the laws, and be sure you can use the weapon to protect yourself. Above all, be safe, and be aware of your surroundings and those around you. 

PXLated, I hope this is the kind of discussion you wanted.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    @Verna I managed to find several free dump stations along the way: rest areas in Colorado and Iowa, and one at the Montrose fairgrounds in Colorado.

I too, stick to bottled water while traveling. In addition, I tried to save the fresh water tank for showers and used separated jugs for flushing the toilet. I kept a couple of 1 gallon jugs for toilet flushing because of their easy to handle size. I also had a couple of 2 gallon jugs as back up in the TV that I did not need to use.

I know you can extend your black tank stay with wag bags, but that gets rather pricey.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Always seems like the technical aspects of full timing are covered by many discussions, but what about the reality of health insurance coverage, particularly for the people who retire early and their insurance ends with their job?  What are their options, unless everyone here is looking at age 65, to use Medicare, which you still should have a supplemental insurance for the 20% not covered.  What are your options, when on the road under age 65, Obamacare, no insurance, catastrophic insurance?  It is not a perfect world and everyone is not wealthy, just curious what options, people are using?

• Options
    I'm in that Medicare age so have that plus VA coverage. Luckily I'm healthy (not a single pill yet) but not having a regular doc to go to and picking up on the road as you need is probably a challenge. Haven't had to do it but it's something I've thought about.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    jdargis said:
    Always seems like the technical aspects of full timing are covered by many discussions, but what about the reality of health insurance coverage, particularly for the people who retire early and their insurance ends with their job?  What are their options, unless everyone here is looking at age 65, to use Medicare, which you still should have a supplemental insurance for the 20% not covered.  What are your options, when on the road under age 65, Obamacare, no insurance, catastrophic insurance?  It is not a perfect world and everyone is not wealthy, just curious what options, people are using?

The Technomadia blog just posted a link to an RV guide to health insurance issues. http://www.technomadia.com/2013/11/chapter-12-healthcare-and-staying-healthy-on-the-road-2/

• Options
    Luckily I still have coverage for another 20 months before Medicare. As long as I go to a PPO facility/Dr, I'm OK. Obviously I've looked into it. I have a finger that will still be healing as I winter and camp, but I assured my surgeon that his name and office number would be mentioned if a problem arose.  Plus with technology today, two doctors can confer and send X-rays across the country.

But anyway, you have to be aware of the limits of your coverage. A few years ago I went to the closest Immediate Care facility and ended up paying the entire bill because it was not a PPO facility. I ask first now. 

Be be sure to carry ID with you at all times, a list of your meds, a list of your physical ailments/allergies, and necessary immediate med's (Epi Pen, nitostat, etc.), an insurance card, and a list of people to contact. Scoff if you may, but how else would anyone know who you are, allergies, etc if you don't have the info on you. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I've got the feeling now that this topic is toooooooo broad :-(
    So much depends on exactly what full-time means and how you're doing it. Spending a week or two or four in one campground or area vs a few days here than there, then everywhere are totally different experiences with different challenges. Even the specifics like water or dump stations can be area specific, easy/available some places, harder to find in others. And then there's the whole what are your "personal" requirements/needs question.
  • Options
    Let it grow, PXLated. There's not normally as many people here on the weekend. Just Moderate and see what questions come up that someone has answers for. This is a subject that doesn't just have one answer. There is one "Like" up there that means that others are reading and watching.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    edited November 2015
    How about structured as separate "Long term travel" series instead of a single thread, spinning off specific topics as they emerge.  It is kind of bouncing around so far, with specific issues that would be good to explore, but seem like they will get lost in a single thread. 

So far seems like an interest in long term medical might be good to explore.  
    Pxlated brought up styles of vagabonding (single night vs longer term stays - with issues/opportunities in each approach).  I've done both (I did spend 18 months traveling a while ago and there is a very different feel and experience with longer term stops vs short stays.  I'm still trying to figure out my approach for my next longer trip.  Depth in a place vs breadth of places gives a very different feel for the experiences.  
    There may also be the basic housekeeping issues for long term travel.
    Other discussions have talked about linking to delivery services. 
    There has also been a longer term thread running on phone and internet service.  
    The other one that comes to mind is something on the value of "stuff" (what is needed to survive comfortably in a long term trip format) that has been discussed a various times in the forum.

Just a thought...
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I wouldn't mind having a thread on something like "long term travel" or "full-timing". I plan on leaving AZ in April (for a year). Sorting out Medicare and plans now (original medicare + one of the "letter plans" that falls under that umbrella will cover me wherever I go). But I haven't chosen one yet. Like PXL, I'm not on any meds (although I realize things can change). Will discuss more and ask questions if a specific thread is established.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    lunafemme - Takes a few trips to get the organization down and to know exactly what you need/want and what you don't. About the only thing I miss is not having an oven. Yes, I could get a toaster oven but just one more space taker and not at many hookup sites so just random use.
  • Options
    @PXLatedI have heard good things about the solar ovens and I believe they fold flat.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I use the coleman oven (folds down flat).  Not great, but if I want baked goods, it has been fun to be able to bake in a pinch.  I just hook up a propane stove outside and let it work.  Great after an evening shooting to come back to chili and cornbread.
  • Options
    I had just bad luck with the cook stove toaster thingy I thought the oven would be a crock also.
  • Options
    It's better than the toaster.  The oven keeps course temperature at best, but I put together, turn on and keep an eye on the things baking.  For basic cooking, I keep an eye on things and it has done okay.  It is a bit more advanced than the toaster (didn't work for me either).  I wouldn't cook a roast in it, but for simple baking, it has been okay (muffins in morning, cornbread).    As I said, cornbread and chili go together with me and it has been fine... bake in a handleless frying thing and it performed.  I also keep some muffin aluminum foil muffin cups and I'm good to go.

Some things in life are essential....
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    Here's another oven option to consider.  It has gotten good reviews from other rv forums/blogs/boating forums.  A bit pricy but seems to work really well.   
    http://www.amazon.com/Omnia-Oven-stove-solution-wonder/dp/B000YLJQ5U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Yep...full timer...celebrated 1 year in October...2014 max s... unique setup in my barn as a mancave...frequent road trips in between...living in the Deep South, humidity control is my biggest challenge...everything still works great...temperpedic mattress...satelliteTV...my keurig...made it like home...the Alde is awesome... I am a fan of radiant heat now...AC is underpowered... If it was on rolling...brackets so you could pull it out , I believe it would work better...a 20 degree difference is about max in my experience...tows like a dream behind my 2011 Honda CRV...@12 mpg...after all the learning curve on winterising...antifreeze vs blowout... Blowout works best for me...with antifreeze in drains... The system is so small... EZ to maintain...once you learn how to operate all the valves on the plumbing... Play with it... It was intimidating at first... But it's not rocket science...the manual was worthless... Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Mash2, I purchased the Coleman oven because I, too, like cornbread with my chili, or a wheat roll , too. I haven't used it yet, but I think it will be used a lot this winter.  I consider it the missing link to camping for 3+ months. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, let me know of your opinion.  worked for me but be interested in what others think (I'm pretty forgiving of things.  Promise it will work for cornbread (I've made it quite a few times), but I haven't tried anything fancier.  
  • Options
    Might have to pick one up - But the things I miss an oven for the most are pot roasts, scandinavian hot dishes, day-long baked beans, etc. Not sure it would work for that type of baking - what ya think?
  • Options
    I'd be skeptical.  Like I said, I've done simple things, but major baking is not one of my strengths (chili and cornbread just isn't that hard).  BBchBNum's example mighty work better.  
  • Options
    Or a Dutch Oven but I can't see that fitting into my routine.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Might have to pick one up - But the things I miss an oven for the most are pot roasts, scandinavian hot dishes, day-long baked beans, etc. Not sure it would work for that type of baking - what ya think?
    It's not recommended for those type of dishes, PXLated. Have you looked into a Thermal Pot?  You cook for 10+ minutes, let's say chicken for chicken and noodles, boil the meat well. Add spices, seasonings, add the noodles to the main pot. Put them in the thermal pot (like a thermos) and let the steam and heat from the pot cook everything all day. Open it up 4 to 8 hours later to a meal completely done. It worked very well for my chicken and Reames noodles and my ground turkey chili last winter. The only energy used was in the initial boiling/preparation of the main ingredient in the meal. Pot toasts and veggies are supposed to easy, but I didn't try them last winter.  Check Amazon for the Thermal Pots--around $60 for the one I got. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

I think this can be a relevant topic, PXLated, whether T@bbers are full-timing or going on an extended trip for 3+ months.  I will be taking an extended trip next year (3+ months) after I get moved to Arizona.  I plan to implement dehydrating my own food into my food plan -- not to fix meals that will be extravagant -- but to have meals that will be faster and cheaper to make, as well as healthier.  I can post up my experience as that progresses.  First step:  just got a book from the library about food dehydrating!

Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    Just to be clear - I'm not unhappy with my meals or routines, there's just a couple of things I used to do/cook that I don't now. The things I thought I'd miss, like a microwave, I don't at all.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Just to be clear - I'm not unhappy with my meals or routines, there's just a couple of things I used to do/cook that I don't now. The things I thought I'd miss, like a microwave, I don't at all.
    I wanted to reheat some pizza this year and found out you can do it in a skillet!

• Options
    Welcome to the "you can do anything with a skillet" club. Skillet dinners are great.
  • Options
    @Vernahow is the Coleman Oven working for you?