Options

Can you use shore power when the battery has been removed?

I've winterized the T@b, but wondered about using it in the driveway as an extra "guest room" when the family is all at my home for Thanksgiving. But of course I would need to be able to run the Alde heater. Would shore power still run the Alde even though I have removed the battery from the T@b?
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    To answer your question, no, you do not have to put the battery back in temporarily. Everything will run through the converter, as long as you have shore power connected. This will save you some and effort of putting the battery back in just for a few days.  

Me, I'd give my guests my bedroom and I would sleep in my T@B!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Verna - So, even all the DC stuff (lights, etc) would work? For some reason I've always though that was all run through the battery and the converter when on shore power just kept the battery charged.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Everything will still work, as long as you have shore power. The converter takes the 110V and converts it to 12V for the lights, etc.  

I have my T@B plugged into shore power from the garage.  I just removed the 30amp fuse at the battery of my T@B and the 12V meter inside showed 13.7V, the Fantastic Fan worked and the ceiling light worked. The converter converts the power to 12V.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I understand the converter - just thought it routed everything up through the battery and back.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Verna said:

I have my T@B plugged into shore power from the garage.  I just removed the 30amp fuse at the battery of my T@B and the 12V meter inside showed 13.7V...

So, this means that if you are connected to a charging source, taking a voltage reading through the 12V plug does not give an accurate indication of the battery's charge state.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited November 2015
    RZRBUG said:
    So, this means that if you are connected to a charging source, taking a voltage reading through the 12V plug does not give an accurate indication of the battery's charge state.

No, it shouldn't give an accurate battery read if the fuse is eliminated and would only be reading the voltage being applied on the trailer circuit from the electric converter Larry.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Larry, sorry to have confused you. I was just proving the converter was supplying 12V to the 12V only circuits. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Well, I'm easily confused, but I was already pretty sure of this from previous experience.  When I first got my T@B, I was not aware of this fact, so I just stated it here again so that others would know.  What some may not know, including me at one time, is that you can have a dead battery and still show a high reading at the 12V plug if you are connected to a charging source.  Is that not true?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Thanks. Good to know. It would be much easier to NOT put the battery back. I have it hooked up to the Tender in the garage, and maybe I'm showing my age, but it is heavy to lift in and out of the T@b so I hope to leave it where it is until the next time I use the T@b and de-winterize it. 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    RZRBUG said:
    Well, I'm easily confused, but I was already pretty sure of this from previous experience.  When I first got my T@B, I was not aware of this fact, so I just stated it here again so that others would know.  What some may not know, including me at one time, is that you can have a dead battery and still show a high reading at the 12V plug if you are connected to a charging source.  Is that not true?
    Yes, Larry, even if you don 't have a good battery, IF you are connected to shore power, your 12V plug will still show a "normal" voltage. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    snowballsnowball Member Posts: 9
    If You are not putting the battery back in make sure the positive cable is not touching anything that could short it to ground. The charge voltage is still present on the positive battery cable. Best to pull the fuse or turn off the battery shut off switch if you have one.
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Fwiw- the converter powers the 12 volt system as it charges the battery. If you keep your T@B on shore power it'll continuously keep your battery happy. But avoid extreme temperatures . Battery can freeze in sub zeros I'm told.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    Absolutely, do it all the time.  Our T@B is stored about 10 minutes from home less the battery which is kept on a maintenance charger in the garage.  Run the T@B over and back less battery.   Not to start the discussion again but have opted for the battery cut off switch on the positive side so the connector is isolated when the battery is removed for this reason.  

Yes, the running lights work just fine.  They are are powered by the TV.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,477
    I read somewhere (probably on this forum…) something to the effect that the battery serves to mitigate fluctuations from the converter. Therefore, even though your electrical system will work without the battery, it's better to have it in place.

Do those of you with more battery knowledge than I have any thoughts on this?

2015 T@B S

• Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    ScottG said:
    I read somewhere (probably on this forum…) something to the effect that the battery serves to mitigate fluctuations from the converter. Therefore, even though your electrical system will work without the battery, it's better to have it in place.

Do those of you with more battery knowledge than I have any thoughts on this?

My dad told me something similar, (electrical engineer). Also on my old television that ran on 12V, when I would forget to turn the battery on, the television signal was flickery, but I turn the battery on and everything cleared up.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL