Options

Moisture mitigation: H2Out SD309

I pulled the trigger and snagged one of these, as the damp humid days are on their way. It seems to me the fresh, relatively crisp scene of my new T@b might be worth preserving.

I saw these dessicant packs on the LG shop website, and a review I read had good things to say. We'll see. Rechargeable by baking in the oven for 2 to 3 hours, this should last some time. I'm not sure how I'll be able to report on its efficacy, as you onky know the value of dessicant when it doesn't work (and the subsequent funky musk appears). This one is for T@b Comm@nd, and I think I might snag a smaller one or two for some other storage areas in the home.

LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 

Comments

• Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    I got one of those, but the oven has to be electric and not gas (did not read that part when I bought it) so I have to ask others to bake it for me.  :)  Otherwise I think it works fine.  Will turn pink faster the more humid it is.
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    If you have a gas range, I believe you can put it in a pan on top of the stove, ope ing the lid occassionally to let the moisture out. I saw a couple of "how to's" for recharging it I found of interest for when we are on the road. The homestead is electric, so we are good, there... ...but I think the ultimate ticket will be in an electric toaster oven. Less space to heat.

P.s. Dear T@b, thank you for giving this gizmo nerd a host of new gadgets and gizmos to try out!
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    X, I for one am interested in the longevity. I live in a tropical, steamy hot spot. Please update when you can. I too would like to keep my new LG crisp and clean. Thanks.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    For record keeping, it was inserted in the T@b last night, May 27, 2014.
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited May 2014
    I bought a similar product with the same crystals inside. It's by a company called Eva Dry. http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-E-500-Renewable-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFD2/ref=pd_sim_hg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1J8DG5CK2K96HHT24P8V I didn't find that it did much of anything. I bought a miniature dehumidifier that is great, also by Eva Dry. Does a fantastic job and you simply dump out the water every few days. http://www.amazon.com/Eva-Dry-Edv-1100-Eva-dry-Electric-Dehumidifier/dp/B000H0ZDD2/ref=pd_sim_hg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=13DGQC92Z2667H6BKYR5. Also there is a product call Davis Ayr Dryer that gets good reviews. I actually bought one of those, too, but haven't put it to work since I haven't had my trailer plugged into shore power. I thought it would be great for the extended storage time during the winter. http://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instruments-Air-Dryr-500-Dryer/dp/B000B7MU9Q/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_text_y
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    I currently use the DAMP RID hanging bags; one hanging from a cabinet knob..  Every time I open up the LG (every week or two if not to take on a weekend getaway sooner) and check the DAMP RID, almost all the crystals have turned to liquid, meaning, that they have absorbed moisture in the LG.  I am open to other options, as clearly I need them and will for the long haul...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Oh, wow, you guys really have a humid climate.  I live in Denver, Colorado, and technically we are "high desert."  There is NO humidity here.  I also have the H2Out product, but there is no moisture to get out!!!  I checked my ClemenT@B tonight, and even after major storms last week, there is no humidity at all inside my T@B.  Everything is intact, stable, and dry.  My PahaQue cover is secure.  All is well. :x
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156

X, I read that the stove top method is not a good idea for those.  Can't specifically remember why, but it was enough to know not to try it something about being dangerous..  I have been using mine since spring 2013,  I am assuming it is working since it keeps turning pink.  :)

June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Since I have a gas oven, I went for the Damp RID setup. I will see how it does. If I lived in the southwest, o don't think I would bother with a dehumidifying option.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Hey XPADREX, what is the status of your gadget-doo-dad-humidity-sucker-thingy? I will go visit my LG tomorrow, put his new PahaQue cover in place, right after I hang a new DampRid Bag on the inside. I will continue doing this until somebody has another viable option to offer up... :)
  • Options
    I am on the road right now (sadly, no T@b, but the Hampton is doing its best to accommodate my weary self).
    I think it's pretty much like a monster whistle. No monsters means itMs working, right? Well, I wouldn't know how thus was doing unless it didn't work.

The out beads have turned pinkish... ...but I will give it the full two months and see. Reviews were good, so I figured better safe than sorry.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    I have, and use, H2Out.  It would turn pink, and I would stick it in the oven.  This cycle has been ongoing on for about nine months.  I have not had any moisture problems so far.  Humidity here is very high, however.  I recently ordered two Dri-Z-Air gadgets from Camping World and put them in the trailer about a week ago.  These things are a little inconvenient as you have to empty water from the containers and be extremely careful not to spill it on anything you don't want to ruin, BUT they really suck the moisture out of the air.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map