Options

2016 exterior water tank covered

I crawled under my T@b today to see if there was any water in the tank (if the dealer had put some in) and was surprised to see the whole area is covered (thought it was exposed). So now we can't tell how much water we have or am I missing something?
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited November 2015
    Hmmmm - My 2015 fresh water tank is a milky white plastic, not covered with anything, but it's too opaque to see if there's water in it - there is, should be about 2/3rds full at this point. What's yours covered with?
    You are talking the tank behind the step correct?
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    The 2016 we looked at had a sheet of some kind of dark material covering the entire undercarriage. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited November 2015
    Thus the need for a tank monitor?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    No tank monitor for me - Have never looked at the tank. Have never run out. You kind of gain a feel for how much you've used. Do carry an extra 6-7 gallons. I generally run out of refrigerated food before water. Other than boondocking, most campsites seem to have water.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    No tank monitor for me - Have never looked at the tank. Have never run out. You kind of gain a feel for how much you've used. Do carry an extra 6-7 gallons. I generally run out of refrigerated food before water. Other than boondocking, most campsites seem to have water.
    I rarely look at mine, either but could be why LG has started installing them.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I don't think it's bad they're putting them in. Those that just recreationally camp might not establish enough of a standard routine to just have a feel for it. On the other hand, if you just do campgrounds there's usually water available so if you do run out can just gather up a refill.
    When I started, water was a big concern. You realize just how much we take unlimited water at the turn of a faucet for granted. Takes a little bit of reeducation to adjust. I've got it down where I can usually clean up after a meal (pots/pans, utincils, etc) on 2-3 cups of water.
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Every time I go on a trip, I realize how wasteful I am at home.  Even If I have access to water on the trip, I have an external gray water tank, so I'm careful not to fill it up too quickly.

In my 2013, the fresh water tank is under the cabinets.  The only way to see it is to unload the cabinets, take out the shelf, and stick my head back under there with a flashlight.  No, thank you.  I don't need to know that badly.  I carry a little extra in case I run out and don't worry about it.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    PXLated said:
    Hmmmm - My 2015 fresh water tank is a milky white plastic, not covered with anything, but it's too opaque to see if there's water in it - there is, should be about 2/3rds full at this point. What's yours covered with?
    You are talking the tank behind the step correct?

What Photomom said - "The 2016 we looked at had a sheet of some kind of dark material covering the entire undercarriage".  As stated, guess I'll get a feel for how much is in there after several trips. Would like to empty it so a) I'm not traveling with a bunch of water that adds weight and b) then I can add it myself and know how much I'm putting in and then get a feel of how much I use.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Michele - Very easy to empty - There should be a valve hanging down behind the step.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Michele - Very easy to empty - There should be a valve hanging down behind the step.

It might be different with the 10 gallon tank but I honestly can't tell the difference with the 5 gallon tank.

• Options
    Jenn - The 2014's fresh water drain was in the front driver's side corner. That changes on the 2015 to behind the step.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - The 2014's fresh water drain was in the front driver's side corner. That changes on the 2015 to behind the step.
    I meant to quote Michelle's comment about the added weight.

• Options
  • Options
    Oh, so there's a drain with a cap or something (near the front door/step underneath)? Just unscrew it? Cool!

• Options
    Michele - There should be a valve (similar to the ones inside by the Alde) located behind and slightly toward the rear of the step. You may need to crawl under to see it, might be hidden behind the frame.
    If you don't see a valve handle but just the plumbing, the handle might have come off with travel - I've lost two so finally gave up and just use a pliers to open/close.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Michele, while mine is a 2014, if you sit on the ground between the door step and the passenger side tire, look under your T@B for a pipe that has a lever. With the step pushed in, you should be able to easily reach the valve. If you have water in the tank, lower your tongue as low as you can to drain as much water as you can. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Michelle, you could also turn on your water pump inside and turn your sink faucet on until it runs dry. That water would then drain into your grey water tank (down the sink drain) which you could them dump. I used this method to determine how much water my dealer put in my water tank (which wasn't much at all) on pick-up day.  Knowing where the tank release valve is good to know too though to get those last drops out!

Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Thanks all! Next time I go to the storage lot, I'll crawl under and find the valve (hope it hasn't come off but will use pliers like PXL uses if it has).

RollingLagrima - I had the pump on a bit and turned on the kitchen faucet - but it kept coming and coming (didn't seem to wane) so I shut it off as we were leaving for the balloon festival. Perhaps Tom's put in more water in mine than they did in yours.