Options

Is the Alde up to the task of winter camping?

Even though my T@b is winterized and sitting quietly for the winter season, I wondered about whether or not the Alde can keep the T@b warm enough to use for winter camping. I mean real winter, where snow is on the ground and temps stay below about 30 degrees. The Alde could run on electricity while driving, and on shore power at a campground. Would it be able to both keep the T@b warm enough to be comfortable and keep the water lines and holding tanks from freezing? My main thought was that if we chose to go south for awhile, we would have probably two days in the cold winter climate before we got far enough south to no longer worry about freezing, and I wonder if the T@b would survive. I guess another solution would be to leave in winterized until we arrive at our southern destination, then re-winterize before heading home. But could the Alde do the job?
2016 T@b S Maxx
2011 Subaru Outback
Rockford, Illinois

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    There's a couple other similar threads on this somewhere.
    First, I'd not have fresh water on board when it's consistently below freezing. The Alde may keep the internal pipes from freezing but definetly not anything external. I'd have it in winterized mode.
    Last year, before I could head south, I was stuck for a week in 40/27 degree weather and then a week in 10 degrees with a stiff 30mph wind. I was winterized and carried water internally. The Alde did fine the first week but not the second. With all the little cold air leaks from the AC and fridge vents I couldn't get much warmer than 55-60. If one had vent covers one might get better. I didn't dewinterize till I got south far enough where I had consistant above freezing temps.
  • Options
    BertBert Member Posts: 87
    We ran the Alde on propane at a Forest Service campground in Montana a couple of weeks ago and were quite toasty at 30 degrees F. The air conditioner and fridge vents were not covered. We kept the 2016 Tab Outback's ceiling vent and one window cracked to prevent condensation inside the trailer. It was windy out, but we were in the shelter of trees.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Vito, we've camped at 5 below zero Fahrenheit before, with no problem keeping the Tab warm. It was cozy.

I wouldn't trust the plumbing to stay thawed, however, and the outside holding tanks will definitely be at risk.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    There ya go - Fine for some, not others - In other words, "your mileage may vary"
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Agree with the consensus on liquids. I camped with snow, below 20 degrees last winter (backyard) to test it out and I was nice and cozy. some like to cover the a/c and fridge vents. I like a little fresh air so I don't and I leave the roof vent cracked to avoid condensation.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I've ordered one of the A/C vent covers from Elsie because I remember those cool winds in AZ last winter coming in through the A/C. Of course, I'm sure I'll be warmer in the T@B than I was in the Silver Shadow. I may even have a trick up my sleeve for the fridge vent. Hang onto that thought for a week or so.....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ChanW - 5 below, on propane, elect. or both?
    Verna - I made a sabel style ac cover yesterday. Was pretty easy.
  • Options
    PXL, we probably used both propane and electric, in fact I remember needing to keep the exhaust vent clear of snow, so yes. But now, skinflint that I am, I'm thinking I'd try to use electric as much as possible in the future, cuz the electric was already paid for (Ontario Provincial Park campground).
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    ChanW - 5 below, on propane, elect. or both?
    Verna - I made a sabel style ac cover yesterday. Was pretty easy.
    What kind did Sabel make?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - sabel posted pics within the last week or so but I've searched and can't figure out which thread they were in - msg sabel and he can probably direct you to them. Only took me 15-20 minutes and probaly cost $10 bucks.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Verna - sabel posted pics within the last week or so but I've searched and can't figure out which thread they were in - msg sabel and he can probably direct you to them. Only took me 15-20 minutes and probaly cost $10 bucks.
    Oh yeah, the plastic yard sign. Gotcha. Thanks.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - Yep, that be the one ... I used industrial strength velcro like sabel but if I redid it I think I'd use the velcro version of 3M Command Strips - Easier to remove if necessary.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited November 2015
    PXLated said:

Taken from THIS thread.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    How did you find that - I spent 15 minutes looking.
  • Options
    Thank you!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    My question about the water lines freezing was on the assumption that I would de-winterize before leaving my home, so that enroute we could use the sink, shower, toilet at campgrounds. But I guess if I want to winter camp I should just leave it winterized, use shore power for the Alde to keep us warm (especially at night), and just not use any of the water related items in the T@b (sink, shower and toilet). 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    Vito - I wouldn't dewinterize till you get into warmer temps. If you carry some water jugs and put some rv antifreeze down in your dump tanks, you could use the sink and toilet though - I did. You can run the Alde enroute on propane so it's not completely cold when you stop and hook into shore power.
  • Options
    Rereading the thread I see I'm the only one that actually stated a room temp - comfy, toasty, etc. are kind of fuzy - what room temps were you actually able to maintain in below freezing temps?
  • Options
    PXL, we don't usually have a thermometer in the Tab, but hanging out in our skivvies, sipping wine, watching a movie, while the snow settled quietly on the roof at 5 below, sez it was warmer than 70 in there.

PXLated said:
    Rereading the thread I see I'm the only one that actually stated a room temp - comfy, toasty, etc. are kind of fuzy - what room temps were you actually able to maintain in below freezing temps?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    PXL, we don't usually have a thermometer in the Tab, but hanging out in our skivvies, sipping wine, watching a movie, while the snow settled quietly on the roof at 5 below, sez it was warmer than 70 in there.

PXLated said:

I don't have one, either. As long as I am cozy, I don't care.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanW - Ahhhh, it was the wine rather than the Alde then :-)
  • Options
    Jenn - WHAT? - You've got monitor for everything else but you don't have a thermometer? Get with it :-)
  • Options
    Even I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - Yep, that's what I have. Been standard equip wherever I've lived.
  • Options
    I guess I have always thought that it didn't matter what the temperature was as long as I was comfy. :)

• Options
    Jenn - You mentioned you sleep with a window open even in winter and love snow/cold so it appears you're the exception on temp rather than the rule so I'm taking your "comfy" with a grain of salt :-)
    As a general rule I think it's considered 68-72.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Verna said:
    I've ordered one of the A/C vent covers from Elsie because I remember those cool winds in AZ last winter coming in through the A/C. Of course, I'm sure I'll be warmer in the T@B than I was in the Silver Shadow. I may even have a trick up my sleeve for the fridge vent. Hang onto that thought for a week or so.....
    Verna - does the a/c vent cover work on the S T@B? How do you plan on putting it up? I know Jenn suggested rare earth magnets.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - .. I'm taking your "comfy" with a grain of salt :-)
    As a general rule I think it's considered 68-72.
    Most do...I keep my winter thermostat between 62-64.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    PXL, probably the wine, the company, and the dog...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya