Options

Gap around fridge... necessary?

There is a visible gap above my fridge in my T@b. You can see into the cabinet space, and the curbside vent. The gap is about a 1/4 inch thick or so.

I am wondering if this is necessary, or if it could be sealed? I ask because I think that when I have the ceiling vent fan on exhaust, it is drawing heat into the T@b. I don't mind so much in cooler weather, but am not as keen in summer.

I also wonder if this ncould allow for increased influx of moisture laden air while the a/c is running.

Thoughts??
LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 

Comments

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    Hi, Xpadrex -- I don't know.  Golly, gee.  I will check mine out next weekend and let you know. Maybe it's just for ventilation?  The 3-way Norcold does throw off some heat.  :-/
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    You might try a search. It seems like someone questioned this a while back.....
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    LOL I thought the same thing! I did search, and the questioner was yours truly. I had hoped there was an answer then, but to be fair it was asked in a separate thread unrelated to the fridge.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I contacted the factory this morning regarding the gap in your refrigerator unit.   They said that the refrigerator can be sealed along the top/sides, but not the bottom....the fridge is designed to breath on the bottom.

Thanks
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks, Mike.
  • Options
    PaulaKPaulaK Member Posts: 54
    X, did you close that gap, and did it help? I agree that a lot of warmth comes out of there when the fridge is running. We got a roll of foam weatherstripping but are wondering if it will help. Anyone else try anything?

Paula & Larry | 2015 T@B S M@XX "Serenity"| 2014 Subaru Outback | Maple Grove, MN
  • Options
    moniraqmoniraq Member Posts: 46
    I'd be curious to know more about this too. The two times I've taken the T@Z out, it's been well over 90 degrees and the heat coming from the refrigerator area really doesn't help matters.
    Monica (aka GlobeDiva)
    2014 T@b Max "Q"
    TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC60 T5
  • Options
    I did not, because of the independent confirmation I had that it was necessary. Here;s an upcoming mod... to go from passive ventilation (as it is now) to the option of a 12 volt fan that will force the air in the surround out towards the vent.
  • Options
    VindalouVindalou Member Posts: 6
    My experience is that the fridge will passively dissipate heat into the unit until the temperature around the fridge gets to about 115 degrees F.  Then the fan kicks on, air is pulled from inside the TAB and out through the side vent. Course, if the inside is too hot, this will not cool the fridge enough and the whole thing shuts down.  I just use the ceiling vent to pull the hot air out and all is good.
  • Options
    TaBmaybeTaBmaybe Member Posts: 3
    new owner and not very knowledgable......can any one let me know how the marine battery gets recharged while in route?.  does battery on/off switch have to be turned on while traveling to do it.?----karen o
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited August 2014
    Karen , I answered your question in "Need Some New Camper Input"
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    floridatabberfloridatabber Member Posts: 5
    This may have been answered before and may sound silly: Does the battery need to be on for the fridge to run on gas?
    2014 T@B 320 S
    2012 GMC Sierra, 5.3 L V8
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    the battery switch needs to be on When towing, running any trailer appliances, including the fridge, even in gas.  Both the fridge and Alde need 12 VDC for fans, and controllers.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    floridatabberfloridatabber Member Posts: 5
    @Denny16 Thank you. 
    2014 T@B 320 S
    2012 GMC Sierra, 5.3 L V8
  • Options
    gregtipton19_gregtipton19_ Member Posts: 23
    Funny, I've heard a lot about the so-called Amish quality on these trailers. Not so fast.......mine is a 2020 400 boondock model. I quickly noticed the gap around my fridge which is the big one so I sealed around it with silicone. Who in their right minds leaves a gap around an appliance where you can actually see through to the outside? Heat, cold, bugs, etc. I also have a front window that needs replaced because the two hydraulic struts have faulty handles that don't seal the window closed. The Bluetooth has never worked, the white round cabinet under the sink has uneven gaps in it and pops open when traveling. I could go on but obviously need to get in and get some warranty work done. Wish I would've looked closer at the detail before I bought but none of the companies (except most of the fiberglass models) build with decent quality. For the money, TAB should do a lot better. 
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    I believe the large fridge has a screen and grill over the intake and exhaust openings on the side of the trailer, so not likely any bugs will get in.
    a bit of door weather seal foam would close off the gap.  I agree, if the space is not needed for added ventilation, it should have been closed off with cabinet trim or ?  

The good news, nuCamp will make right any issues with workmanship or system issues.  I am sure you can get the sink cabinet issue sorted.  Outs works quite well, no doors or drawers popping open when going over rough roads or highway.  We are having some warranty work done also, including a new front window.  Took a little extra time to get the window (due to the Covid 19 issue), but It is being installed now.  
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    gregtipton19_gregtipton19_ Member Posts: 23
    Thanks D16. I'm sure nuCamp will work things out. Seems their strong point is their customer service so I'm looking forward to working with them.