Are You Jacked Up?

RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
Don't recall seeing it here, but I have read on other trailer forums that some manufacturers recommend that if you have torsion suspensions such as are on the T@B you should jack up the trailer and put it on jack stands when it is stored for long periods.  This supposedly takes the weight off the torsion mechanism, thus prolonging its lifespan, and keeps the tires from getting flat spots from being in one place for a long time.  Does anyone do this?

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    That makes some sense about the torsion suspension -- I thought I read someplace that it's a rubber-based 'spring' inside that torsion-tube. I haven't seen anything about jacking it up for the torsion suspension though, just for the tires.

I wonder if the suspension manufacturer can chime in. I'll see if I can get a reply via email.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I wonder if it recommended by other manufacturers due to the load size. The T@b is much lighter than most trailers.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I've read both pro and con answers to the above.  But I personally haven't done any of it and will add that you never want to place a jack or jack stand beneath the axle when raising the trailer as it could damage it.  And pay close attention and monitor the mechanic too if you take your trailer in for tire balancing or change out as this is exactly what some of these people will do.  I stopped a guy from placing his jack underneath my axle and he said he'd never heard of this before.  I also informed his boss of what the axle manufacturers recommend and he'd never heard it either.  

I did send an email to Dexter and will post up any information/instructions I receive.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I've read both pro and con answers to the above.  But I personally haven't done any of it and will add that you never want to place a jack or jack stand beneath the axle when raising the trailer as it could damage it.  And pay close attention and monitor the mechanic too if you take your trailer in for tire balancing or change out as this is exactly what some of these people will do.  I stopped a guy from placing his jack underneath my axle and he said he'd never heard of this before.  I also informed his boss of what the axle manufacturers recommend and he'd never heard it either.  

I did send an email to Dexter and will post up any information/instructions I receive.  
    Mike, I had the same with the place I took my T@b to for bearing service. I told him as I was dropping it off and he was unfamiliar with and wrote it down.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I had mine done at Trotters in Kingman and they knew not to. In fact, I didn't even unhitch, they jacked back under the frame and did it while I waited. Another thing is Trotters doesn't take appointments, first come first served. I was there when they opened at 8:00am and they got right on it. Had them fix my gray water valve previous and was the same deal - in and out in a Jiffy.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Just got this information back from dexter Axle company this afternoon as follows:

Mr. Smith,

Dexter Axle does not find it necessary to have to jack up a trailer during storage for the purpose of preserving the life of the torsion axle.

Thanks

Jim Miller / Dexter Axle
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Thanks a lot, Mike.  I have the AL-KO axle, before the merger, but I assume it's the same difference.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map