Options

Where would my 10-year old sleep in a T@B unit?

jcusimjcusim Member Posts: 1
edited February 2016 in Modifications & Upgrades
I am SOOOO close in convincing my family on the T@B CS-S Outback, but am plagued with one remaining issue - where does my 10year old daughter sleep?

I know there is a tent option but honestly, the "parent safety" flags get raised going down that road. And sleeping in the car (bit safer but again not very "family friendly".  The sleeping with the parents is doable, but it creates just enough flack to make the whole endeavor come to a screeching halt.  Wanted to ask the question here to see if this problem has been solved by others.  Maybe replacing the back storage cabinets with a hammock or drop down cot from the ceiling even doable (without a ton of reinforcement)?  

Additional context: Family has come to the conclusion that that the bathroom / kitchen option of the CS-S model is the preferred way to go.  Believe me, that itself is a "win" but the result, the bench option in the front is out.  Also I've been trying to get the local dealer's help on this, but to date they have been actually pretty unresponsive and/or unwilling to work with me.  Unfortunately there are only 2 dealers in the state of Colorado (at opposite ends of the state).

Side advice to Little Guy: it would be VERY helpful to be able to order directly from the factory.  Casita, and Scamp, Lance and even Winnebago (to some extent) do this.  Why not you?

Thanks in advance for the help on this.  Soooo close to being a part of the T@B family and showing both my wife / daughter how much camper camping can be!  If I can only come up with some sort of solution.  Maybe if someone has heard rumors about maybe the T@DAs coming back.  Grasping at straws here.....

Comments

• Options
    T@BuhuraT@Buhura Member Posts: 97
    edited February 2016
    In ours, our 9yr old sleeps on the floor with his feet by the door and head by where the shower would be in newer T@Bs. During our big summer trip to AK he took turns with younger brother but mostly preferred the floor option in his own sleeping bag. One time we camped in summer we setup the side tent and slept with the door to the T@B open and they both slept outside and loved it. We felt comfortable keeping the door open to make sure thy could easily jump in or we could get out. That time it was really like tent camping with a hard shell for half of the sleeping space. 

I do love how convenient the T@B is but do wonder what we'll do as they grow when setting up the side tent isn't as convenient - we're 5 :)
    2006 Dutchman T@B T16, 2010 Volvo XC90 3.2 R-Design
  • Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    How set are you on the outdoor kitchen? WIth the larger bed in the S, I've slept 3-wide with 2 of my grandsons (10 and 12 yrs old). Our "outdoor kitchen" is a portable propane grill / stove. Allows cooking outside, or inside when the weather dictates. The bed configuration took the CS out of the picture for us.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Definitely compare the bed size in the clamshell to the bed size in the non-clamshell. It may be feasible for 3 to sleep in the larger bed of the non-clamshell.

Or, you may be more comfortable with Dad sleeping in the attached tent and Mom and Daughter sleeping inside.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    AustinRoamersAustinRoamers Member Posts: 45
    After we converted the table and used slats, a child could easily scoot their sleeping bag and feet under with the top of the sleeping bag at the front.  Which model has the most floor space with this mod?  And 10 yr old girls tend to grow ;) so that might not be a long term solution.  
    Kat & Sam      Austin, TX        2018 T@B 400           "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    After we converted the table and used slats, a child could easily scoot their sleeping bag and feet under with the top of the sleeping bag at the front.  Which model has the most floor space with this mod?  And 10 yr old girls tend to grow ;) so that might not be a long term solution.  
    I think the issue with sleeping on the floor there could be obstructing the carbon monoxide and LP monitor. They are very sensitive and that would not be a fun way to wake up.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I have seen where folks have built a bunk bed modification for a child to sleep above the regular bed.  Pictures below.

One thing I think you need to ask yourself, and I am not trying to put you off on buying a T@B, but is this really going to work for your family, even being small?  Where are you going to be in two years, or five years?  Is you daughter still going to be interested in sharing the space with you?  I know I sound a bit of a Debbie downer here, but it is a big investment and I want you to be happy with it.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Get the PahaQue Tent and put them on cots just outside the door. With the door open, the A/C can cool the tent.  Since the child is 10, in a year or so they can tent in a seperate tent out back. In my opinion, the inside of the T@B is too small for "living" even for a couple, so sleeping is all we really do inside. Sleeping in a tent outside won't really take away from family time.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Get the PahaQue Tent and put them on cots just outside the door. With the door open, the A/C can cool the tent.  Since the child is 10, in a year or so they can tent in a seperate tent out back. In my opinion, the inside of the T@B is too small for "living" even for a couple, so sleeping is all we really do inside. Sleeping in a tent outside won't really take away from family time.
    Or you guys could sleep on a cot and put the kids inside if it makes you feel safer.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Remembering back - I think we moved our son to his own tent when he was around 10 or 11. But he was comfortable being alone in the dark, our own tent was close by, and I'm a very light sleeper. And we gave him strict instructions what to do if he had to go to the bathroom (wake Dad up) or heard someone in the campsite (yell really loud to wake us up).

John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York