Options

Lagun Table Pedestal Mounting Tips

Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
The Lagun table pedestal is a very nice add-on to the T@B trailer and is as much a labor of love as it is a very versatile and simplistic feature that will obviously make life easier and allow for quick room via the ability to rotate the table out of the way quickly.  I know that others have purchased the pedestal and I received mine about a week ago.  This has been a learning process and I have picked up tips from others via the postings and tips from other members.  I thought I would add to the list in an effort to help out others in the future via my project.  

Verna and I have conversed during this project via text messages and on the phone.  I also took the time to share tips with the factory in an effort to make them aware of what we've encountered during installation and use of the new Lagun pedestal.  

Mounting Plate -  Things are not always as simple as they look.  Via Verna's installation we have learned that when you mount the face plate to the wood beneath the bench cushion at the rear of the trailer and install the vertical pedestal (or main) support piece you soon find out that the bench cushions do not seat properly.  As you can see the cushion does not fit properly and this is because my cushions jut out approximately 2" over the front of the bench.  the cushions sit atop a wood base and the wood hits on the pedestal.  

The solution to my problem was to make a wood mounting piece that extended my Lagun pedestal out approximately 2" from the face of the bench seat.  I'm guessing that others may have a differing clearance here since Verna's cushions only extend out about 1-1/2" over the bench, so measure the distance and adjust accordingly.  The photo below shows the wood piece that was made and I ended up using 4" wood screws as opposed to the 2" stainless screws that came from the factory.  We drilled through the wood spacer, inserted the wood screws through the aluminum plate and screwed them directly into the 2 x 4 bench support pieces of the bench and there is ample strength.  I would just recommend that you use similar thickness wood screws as were supplied with the pedestal.  I also just used a 3" stainless screw in the lower right-hand face plate hole and it worked fine.  The ALDE unit sits opposite the 2 x 4 inside the bench so the lower screw does not come into contact with it or anything else.  

As you can see, after the wood offset spacer is mounted it definitely cleans things up  and allows the pedestal to be installed  and used without interfering with or hitting the front edge of the seat cushions.  

I also used the earlier bed slat tip of incorporating a flat bungee cord on the back side of the bed slates.  I found my flat bungee cords at Home Depot ($5.00 for a container of bungee cords) and used 2 flat bungee cords to keep the bed slats together.  My bed slats are made of maple and certainly you can use other types of wood.  I also made my slats 29" long and they are approximately 5-1/2" wide as you will be filling in a space approximately 30" long.  Check things out as things no doubt will vary according to your needs.  I allowed for some spacing, but the slats do move and I can push them tightly together too.  

I followed suit too and added a small storage rack inside the driver's side bench seat area that is dedicated to trailer wiring, the electric converter and carbon monoxide detector, etc.  as shown below.  I used 2 x 4 material, cut some pieces of 2 x 4 and used these as support pieces to keep the wood storage rack raised above all of the wiring and water pipe that runs inside this bench.  Use extreme caution if you do this, think through the process (in an effort to avid damaging anything inside this area) should you choose to go this route as you could easily screw into something here and damage wiring or a water pipe.  I used a felt marker to place a small reference mark on the side bench walls so I knew exactly where the lower support pieces were located and also measured the wood to keep from drilling the screws in too far.  I also used plastic zip ties to gather the wiring in and secure it firmly in place.  I used a small piece of 2 x 4 as a foot inside the storage rack and this will keep the slats in place and prevent them rubbing against the wiring that runs up inside the shower wall area.  

I used particle board for the floor that the slats sit on and a piece of treated wood I had for the upright wall that sits just in front of the electric converter.  I screwed some one-by material to this piece and screwed through the one-by piece to secure it in place.  Nothing was disturbed, I took my time doing this and now have a handy and convenient place to store my bed slats when not in use.  I apologize for any repetition here but wanted to document this and hope that it makes this project easier for others or at least stimulates some additional ideas in accomplishing the same thing.  

As an end result I now have my Lagun pedestal in place, my friend completed the table top and I mounted it to the aluminum pedestal plate on the support arm with 1/2" stainless screws with painted heads.  This is a first run and who knows, I might have another table top made down the road should our needs change and we want a large table top.  This top is an oval shape and should work fine and I'm thrilled to have this work completed so I can move on to something else.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited December 2015
    Looks like a nice cocktail lounge table - What ya servin Mike ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Anything you like bro!  I do make a decent Margarita but you will have to bring the chips and salsa!   B)   =)
  • Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Is the table top stable with the Lagun bracket?  The single post insert or twist table brackets are not!  Is it solid, or does it wobble?  I haven't got a chance to install ours yet.
  • Options
    jdargis said:
    Is the table top stable with the Lagun bracket?  The single post insert or twist table brackets are not!  Is it solid, or does it wobble?  I haven't got a chance to install ours yet.
    Everything works fine.  
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Mike Absolutely fantastic re-cap of installing the Lagun system.
    Question:  The lower right screw when you use the add on block does the screw just have to go into the block or should it be long enough to go into the back board where the Alde is?
    Many thanks and again a fantastic presentation. Hope people will post pictures of their completed table
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Thanks John....  You want the screw long enough to penetrate and anchor into the wood bench panel which is 1/2" thick.  The factory supplies all the screws and mounting hardware (3-2" stainless screws and 1-3/4" stainless screw) and they would like you to screw into the wood to anchor the base at all four corners.  When you raise up the cushions you will see that the screws at the top enter the 2 x 4 supports for the bench, and also on the lower left side.  The lower right-hand screw goes into the 1/2 wood face of the bench seat and when I looked down into the bench there was nothing in the area that I could damage with a longer screw.  There IS (in my trailer) a 120V wire that was below this area but did not pose any contact issues for the bolt.  

One other note I failed to mention in my write-up -  there are support screws that go down through the 2 x 4 bench near the top.  I had one of the screws out while installing the upper screws in the plate to avoid hitting the screw.  That is a consideration to look at and keep in mind when installing the plate.  I just re positioned the screw and re-installed it after the plate was mounted and there was no problem.  I had to do the same thing when I was installing the cleats (bed slat support rails) for my bed slats.  

These are the instructions that were included with the Lagun pedestal.

3.jpg 70.7K
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    If you have the Lagun table and use use bed slats, you will need to completely remove the table top and post and stow that somewhere overnight, right?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    All pieces of the Lagun table will slide together on the bottomside of the table top. Mine was shipped with all pieces connected together. That way you won't lose the pieces and have to look for them the next morning. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks Mike We have our Lagun and will be using your info as our guide
    South Carolina
  • Options
    I have pondered storage of the table top after setting up the bed and will probably just place my table top along the wall inside the shower/toilet area, along with the vertical support piece.  I also purchased a furniture blanket and plan to just wrap it up and place it between the bench seats on the floor during travel.  Since my slats are all linked together and stow beneath the driver's side bench I can have the bed in place in a few minutes time and no longer will be struggling with the old bulky table/frame set-up.  For me, the extra space gained and ease of use of the Lagun table pedestal was worth the investment and will no longer be fighting the larger table set-up......  That was my early Christmas gift!

• Options
    We are planning on making one of the dimension of the table wide enough to be used in place of our slats but not as long as the original table...doing it in cardboard first to see how it works
    South Carolina
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Does anyone know why it is recommended to install the top of the bracket even with the top of dinette panel?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I would assume ,after doing ours, that it provides you the maximum adjustments of the table height. At least that is what we have found out with ours.
    South Carolina
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Ok, that helps, thanks.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2016
    Hey John that's what I did for my Table top it dbl as my slats with a little bit of a twist. I have on each side of table a 5" fold up section like having leaf table that makes it larger when we place it in postion across rail supports if Im not mistaking table  5x30 then 18x30 then 5x30. Wanted to keep main table size down for simple fact 18" was about as wide as I good get to rotate towards sofa from center mount postion.

So my bed slat coverage is roughly 28x30 it's probally short a little but the alluminum  base on lagun table controled the design of what I could fabricate without cutting into the alluminum.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• Options
    Spruce1Spruce1 Member Posts: 100
    Tonydjd said:
    Hey John that's what I did for my Table top it dbl as my slats with a little bit of a twist. I have on each side of table a 5" fold up section like having leaf table that makes it larger when we place it in postion across rail supports if Im not mistaking table  5x30 then 18x30 then 5x30. Wanted to keep main table size down for simple fact 18" was about as wide as I good get to rotate towards sofa from center mount postion.

So my bed slat coverage is roughly 28x30 it's probally short a little but the alluminum  base on lagun table controled the design of what I could fabricate without cutting into the alluminum.
    Hi Tony:  Would you post some pics?  I'm considering a similar design. Thanks!

2014 T@B-S
    2019 Honda Ridgeline, AWD, V6, 5,000 lbs towing capacity
    Minnesota
  • Options
    JeanneJeanne Member Posts: 65
    I love all of you that work this out. I ordered my Lagun table mount today and still figuring out how I want to do my table. Please post pictures. 
    2014 T@B S Max, TV 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, Richland, WA
  • Options
    I did notice that the factory has reconfigured the rear seat cushion to allow the Lagun table base to mount flush against the rear bench seat panel.  They have moved it back flush and one could no doubt do the same if you took the cushion apart.  I would prefer a flush mounting to the face of the bench seat and might discuss it with the PVTC factory when I am down that way in July if it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to get this work done.   
  • Options
    JeanneJeanne Member Posts: 65
    My Lagun base is here from the UK in 4 days from order. I haven't even told my husband I ordered it yet. And don't know what I want to do for a table or where I want to mount it. If you have completed yours, please post pictures. 
    2014 T@B S Max, TV 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, Richland, WA
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    I still like to see how this matches up to the one someone designed earlier,  that folds up on the wall. 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    PetraJoePetraJoe Member Posts: 1
    Our 2018 T@B came with the Laguna Table inside mount and an addition outside mount, but outside the table height is for standing position, about 15inches too high. Any suggestions how to mount it lower so on can comfortably use it sitting in a chair?

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited March 2022
    @PetraJoe I searched on outside Lagun height and saw a few posts. This one offers 2 options but I didn't read all of the search matches. http://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/4872/outside-lagun-mount Good Luck!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,528
    edited March 2022
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio