Options

USB technology vs old style cigarette receptacle - which do you prefer?

Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
I know that the factory still installs the "cigarette style receptacles" in their trailers but am curious as to how many of you are actually using the cig ports or if you feel they are needed?  The only time I ever use or have used the cigarette receptacle was for my LED plug-in style volt meter and for my former 12V DC TV, so there are applications that require it.  I eliminated the need for this by installing a permanent LED meter in my trailer and previously had converted the charging center (with Cig style port/USB combo) to a volt meter/dual USB port in my former Silver Shadow and basically tossed the cig receptacle.  I have a USB fan, portable shower head, laptop, iPhone, blue tooth speaker, etc. so I consider the cig style port obsolete for my personal usage.  I also understand that 12V DC volt meters are in some of their 2016 models now.    

I recently installed a 120V AC/ dual USB port style receptacle (below) into my trailer (for shore power use) and also installed two, dual 12V DC USB ports at the rear (above the new receptacle) of the trailer for cell phone charging/other device uses, etc. so all 12V DC needs are covered.  I just wanted to take a straw poll of sorts and see if people are actually using the cigarette style plug-in port and get some feedback as to whether you actually are using it or believe they should discontinue installing this style port in future trailers.  I will share any feedback with Little Guy and the factory as they do listen and do incorporate your ideas into their trailer designs.   

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I do still use the cigarette style outlet for charging my Goal Zero stuff and my camera batteries.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited December 2015
    Still need the cig plug - Do wish the cig plug down next to the AC outlet was a combo cig/usb like the one above the kitchen counter though. Also wish there was a DC - cig/usb - outside next to the current AC recepticles. Computer and camera batteries are AC so use an inverter when I don't feel like hauling out the generator.
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    My one and only 12V socket has the battery meter in it. I rarely boondock. I have a 10-spot USB charger module plugged into one of the interior electrical plugs. With two cell phones, ipad, and ecig batteries, I have lots of USB charging needs.

My Canon T3i camera batteries charge in a charger on standard 110 power. The laptop plugs into standard 110 power.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2015
    I use the cig style plug. Good for anything automotive, of course, and I'm able to take out the USB adapter when I'm not using it.

Something that we need to consider is that a USB port is actually putting out regulated 5V, so the 12V must be converted. A 12v USB port is usually always on because of that, and I've measured from 150mA to 250mA draw when the USB port is idle, and nothing is plugged into it.

So the 'phantom draw' is a real downside to 12V USB ports.

I've seen some 120V USB outlets that have a little mechanical door type thing that switches the power off when not in use, but nothing in 12V like that. I'd be wary of the mechanism failing on it though.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    My tire air compressor uses a 12V cig plug and the cord isn't long enough to reach the T@B tires if they need inflating. It's plenty long to reach all the pickup truck tires. I run the compressor cord to the inside 12V cig outlet (via front window) in the T@B and have plenty of cord to reach both tires. I do have an adaptor that plugs into a 120V AC outlet and its output is a 12V DC cig plug.

Interesting about the phantom draw, Chan!! Good info.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    If we remove the cig plug, that removes direct access to the 12v system.  Makes it far more difficult to boondock.  Myself and many others directly relt on it for charging laptops, air pumps and countless other items.  Please leave the plugs. :)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I plan to install a couple of the old style 12v outlets on or near the rear shelf. That will give the most flexibility since we can use USB adapters for iphones & iPads and an inverter for my DSLR and laptop. With no phantom draw. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I charge my camera batteries with the 12V plug/outlet. Also, since I haven't installed my new inverter yet to the battery, the old one needs to plug into the 12V outlet. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I have to agree with Wizard.

I think the "cig" plug can be considered a 'standard' for 12V power outlets. I too depend on it for many 12V devices, and like Photomom, I would like two more of them in the rear shelf area. Maybe one near the a.c.unit too.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    I have to agree with Wizard.

I think the "cig" plug can be considered a 'standard' for 12V power outlets. I too depend on it for many 12V devices, and like Photomom, I would like two more of them in the rear shelf area. Maybe one near the a.c.unit too.
    I looked into having the factory install them but I can DIY for much less cost. When our T@B comes (4 months with any luck) I'll document the project and post. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have a 12v outlet splitter that takes one outlet and gives you 3. Works great when I need it and no phantom power draw to worry about it. I only need it once a while as I get pretty great battery life out of my Canon DSLR batteries and try to charge the GZ stuff while driving or via solar.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    My wife uses the USB port to keep her phone charged, I used to use the 12v cig port  for a plug in  volt meter, but now have two hard wired volt meters installed. One is down by the carbon monoxide detector,(makes a nice nightlight) and the other one is out side on my battery box. I also mounted a 12 volt cig outlet outside under the 110 volt outlet for our portable fridge.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    If I didn't have the 12V plug, I'd be looking to install one.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    As others said, I use the "cig plug" with an inverter for < 150 watt applications. Namely my laptop.
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    jbug10jbug10 Member Posts: 156
    I need and want both. I use the cig plug in for my camera battery charger and my 12v battery meter and  use the usb port on the media center for several devises and chargers that need a usb.
    June; 2013 T@b "Fant@bulous"; 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee; one kayak and one bike
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    You can easily adapt a cig outlet to a USB but not the other way. Nice to have both. If I could only have one it would be a 12 volt cig.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    We use the one cig plug in our MaxS 2016 for a volt meter device. Wish there were 2 USB's in the rear. We have a 110 USB Hub with 6 inputs that at night we charge our 2 phones 2 ipads and Beats Bluetooth headphones. We use the the 110 plug that is next to the Cig Plug in the kitchen.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    Yeah, I find that outlet over the kitchen sink to be hard to use, much of the time, because of its location.

Here's a suggestion for LG: Two more cig outlets in the back shelf area, in either corner, with two plug in USB adapters to go with them, or two switchable USB outlets in addition to the cig outlets.

That would solve the problem of phantom draw, and satisfy all needs...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    Yeah, I find that outlet over the kitchen sink to be hard to use, much of the time, because of its location.

Here's a suggestion for LG: Two more cig outlets in the back shelf area, in either corner, with two plug in USB adapters to go with them, or two switchable USB outlets in addition to the cig outlets.

That would solve the problem of phantom draw, and satisfy all needs...
    I was quoted $200 for the factory to install two 12 volt outlets on the rear shelf. If they were standard it might cost less though. 

I think charging my expensive gadgets next to the sink is a bad idea...
  • Options
    markathmarkath Member Posts: 12
    So? many of you talk about wanting to install cig style 12V plugs on back shelf.  How did you finally do it.  What was your power source? Photo? Looks like Charging Center outlets like the one over the S Max sink are about $24 on Amazon and some with combinations of volt meters, on off switches, cig style and USB for about the same or even cheaper.  My big question is your power source?
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    This is a copy of my earlier thread.Someone posted somewhere they were quoted $200 to install 2 outlets in their rear cabinets. The following pictures show the steps and parts needed. Cost a little more $5 per outlet plus some wire and a few wire connectors. I located my outlets inside the cabs to avoid dangling wires when in use. You will need a 7/8" hole saw or equivalent and drill. I purchased the outlets at O Reilly's auto for under $5 each. Remove speaker grill by rotating it counter clock wise. Remove speaker. Locate white and blue wires (color may very) that power reading light. Determine which one is power and which one is ground my case blue is power white ground. Drill mounting hole. Since the cab wall is quite thick it is necessary to cut about 1/4" off of the plug retaining ring (see photo). Insert outlet and secure from rear. Hook wire from center of outlet to power wire using 3M connector or solder and tape if preferred. Attach wire from retaining ring to ground wire the same way. Test and reinstall speaker and cover. 

Attached Image
    1. Hash  T@B Fun