Anyone using a Dual Hitch Receiver with a Cargo Rack?

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
I am thinking about using this in lieu of a roof rack. Is anyone else doing this? If all components were kept within the proper tongue weight limits, can you see any issues? I would put the spare tire here and maybe a Rubbermaid container for water hoses.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    That hitch receiver looks awesome!  Looks like it could also be used for a bike application.

I am wondering if the cargo rack might impact the TV's ability to make sharp turns.  If that is the case, a receiver extender might be the solution:

http://www.hitchsource.com/roadmaster-12-reciver-extension-p-35139.html?gclid=CIzK4YnTgcoCFYdcfgodC8UCWA

Also, overall tongue weight might become an issue.

Have you given any thought to mounting the spare tire on the front end of the trailer frame?  Here is a product link:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200414722_200414722?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Trailers + Towing > Trailer Hardware&utm_campaign=Ultra-Tow&utm_content=365371&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=365371&gclid=CPij_9fUgcoCFZBcfgod55YL2A
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited December 2015
    I have no room left since I mounted a battery box in front of the propane box, but thanks fir the suggestion.

I believe @jcfaber1might use something similar for a bike rack. If only they made a cargo rack with a similar mount!

Good question about turning the trailer, though!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Have you thought about a hitch receiver on the front of the Jeep - They make kits that look like a fairly easy install. I looked at them awhile back for a bike rack but you could fit any std hitch accessory into it. Have seen several pickups doing that for bikes and storage.
    PXLated said:
    Have you thought about a hitch receiver on the front of the Jeep - They make kits that look like a fairly easy install. I looked at them awhile back for a bike rack but you could fit any std hitch accessory into it. Have seen several pickups doing that for bikes and storage.
    Yeah....I don't think I want more in front though.

I also found this, which might be the answer. It is a basket that basically acts like an extender. 

There's been a couple discussions here about how hitch extenders drop you towing capacity way down - don't think you want that.
    How about one of those racks that wrap around the tire so have a basket on top and storage on the sides - can't recall how they attach, might be part of one of those bumper/rack systems.
  • John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Not sure the model T@B you have  but on our Max S we installed  the Aluminum Platform and it provides quite a bit of extra storage room. We will be using ours for a generator on one side and some fold up chairs and gas can on the other and will mount our telescoping TV antenna pole to one of the supports on the Platform. Just a thought. 
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
    John&Kris said:
    Not sure the model T@B you have  but on our Max S we installed  the Aluminum Platform and it provides quite a bit of extra storage room. We will be using ours for a generator on one side and some fold up chairs and gas can on the other and will mount our telescoping TV antenna pole to one of the supports on the Platform. Just a thought. 
    Yeah, that is probably a smarter route to go.

• jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Looking at the video and question information, this is not set up for towing a trailer and it specifies that point.  It is supposed to be used in conjunction with a bike rack and cargo carrier.  It, also can be used with a bike rack and flat towing a car, as behind a motorhome.  There generally is no tongue weight, flat towing a car, as specified in the information.

Also, watch out for mounting a rack on the front of your Jeep.  The added weight of trailer towing and carring your equipment I'm your vehicle is working it hard enough, you don't want to block the airflow over your radiator and transmission cooler, if equipped.

Just some thoughts.

jdargis - ya, restricted airflow could be a problem if you stacked stuff on a platform. Bike rack would probably not impede too much.
    STUFF - Everyone just has too much stuff.
  • mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    Second that.  But to each their own...
    PXLated said:
    STUFF - Everyone just has too much stuff.
    Not, so much, just prefer to store some stuff outside versus inside. I might bring too many tools, but that's probably it.

No Jenn - "Everyone" has too much stuff. We just think certain things are necessary ;-)
    PXLated said:
    No Jenn - "Everyone" has too much stuff. We just think certain things are necessary ;-)
    Yeah, I don't think I can judge for other people what "too much" is. =)

You start with food, shelter, love, human interaction - The basic needs ... Anything above that is actually just stuff :-)
  • Mike_in_AtlantaMike_in_Atlanta Member Posts: 17

Firstly, I don’t have a T@B, I have a much smaller Rascal so this is just my two cents worth but I do use a dual type receiver for my bike rack.  

I would expect that if you were to use the platform it would interfere with your trailer is two ways.  First, it would extend back over your hitch making it pretty darn hard to hitch/unhitch the trailer without removing the platform.   If by some way you could reach under to hitch/unhitch, how would you ever see the ball to line it up?  Second, the platform would appear to extend far enough back that it might hit the wheel jack – if not when straight in line certainly when turning.  Even if you had a removable jack you wouldn’t be able to unhitch until you removed the platform unless it only hit when turning. 

One other thing is that using the dual receiver allows more wiggle and you’d need to use two hitch tighteners.  The ball mount I use has a receiver on top and the ball mount below.  I can only unhitch my TD when parked at an angle otherwise I can’t lift the release lever as the bike rack is in the way.

mike

Firstly, I don’t have a T@B, I have a much smaller Rascal so this is just my two cents worth but I do use a dual type receiver for my bike rack.  

I would expect that if you were to use the platform it would interfere with your trailer is two ways.  First, it would extend back over your hitch making it pretty darn hard to hitch/unhitch the trailer without removing the platform.   If by some way you could reach under to hitch/unhitch, how would you ever see the ball to line it up?  Second, the platform would appear to extend far enough back that it might hit the wheel jack – if not when straight in line certainly when turning.  Even if you had a removable jack you wouldn’t be able to unhitch until you removed the platform unless it only hit when turning. 

One other thing is that using the dual receiver allows more wiggle and you’d need to use two hitch tighteners.  The ball mount I use has a receiver on top and the ball mount below.  I can only unhitch my TD when parked at an angle otherwise I can’t lift the release lever as the bike rack is in the way.

mike

Good feedback, Mike, thanks. I have the Jack-E-Up, which allows me to remove the jack once hitched. I would certainly be bound to a sequence and it would be one more thing to set up and put away, so I am leaning against it. But it was helpful to flush out the possibilities and pros and cons.

• BikedawgBikedawg Member Posts: 2
    Just to provide an example of an easy modification, we took the inexpensive Northern Tool dual receiver hitch and split it.  Then sleeved the stumps with the next size up square tubing and re-welded.  It yielded the height needed for the cargo carrier with three bikes up top. I've not tried to tow with it so I can't speak to clearances but there are extensions made the could provide the clearance required.  With a 1 ton truck & 2" class 5 hitch & air bags, weight is not an issue so much, but the next mod is to fabricate a 3 point mount onto the truck to carry a small motorcycle and still tow of the stern.