Options

Free WiFi - Where Available

2»

Comments

• Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    Mike, if you look at the coverage maps for both Rogers and Bell, the two main cell phone providers in Canada, there really isn't much in the areas you were travelling. Those mountains are pretty high. You had mentioned your bad experience so I was looking at the maps. We had that happen to us in Quebec in the mountains. We had 2 cell phones and a satellite phone and could not get a signal.  I know that you need cell service for your texts, but I don't understand why you couldn't use iMessage on wifi. We use it all the time on our iPads and they don't have cell service.
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep, it's sometimes a little bit bothersome that the ability to communicate 'instantly' has become "the norm". If you go 'incommunicado', people start to think something's wrong. If you don't happen to check your email... 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I just went for 6 days with no cell or data service. I got used to being on airplane mode (didn't want to get charged $12.95/mb for data or voice). It was a change to just use my phobe for photos. No forum, no communication unless I wanted to drive 20 miles. Wi-Fi was available in the visitor's center, but I knew I had a 1.3 mile hike back to the campground and I wanted to get back there in the daylight!. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    ChanW / Verna <- Showing your age :-)
    Ever seen anyone under 50 without their head in a text message? Most NPs, campgrounds, etc are going to have to modernize and get internet access. It's the modern version of paving the roads in. And that's a good thing - can you imagine the info you could pull up while viewing something. Can you imagine the info placard beacon triggerring a website on your phone? Instead of a 3x4 sign with limited text, you get old photos, videos and a much richer experience.
    Obviously I don't buy the "drop your tech and get out and enjoy nature" story. I'm more a "bring your tech and get a richer experience type. I mean, you're not carrying a box camera anymore, you're probably taking pics with a smart phone :-)
  • Options
    PXLated, I have to agree. Organ Pipe's instructions for an emergency was to use the phone near the check-in kiosk.....the phone had an "out of order" sign on it.

Those with Verizon were pretty much OK, after they called Verizon and told them the users were still in the country snd then Verizon would ping their phone for precise location verification...but not every user had to do that. The cell companies will need to step up and realize that they need to expand  their signals to all of the vacatipn spots because it just isn't 1950 any more. We do use technology and we want to use our technology. 

While AT&T is OK for me for most of 9 months a year, the difficulties in communications for my vacations are giving me a reason to check other providers. The providers need to provide us with a reason to stay with them. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The other thing to consider is that we are getting closer to a day when medical devices are dependent on having a data connection.

Some vehemently fight technology in the parks but I am a big fan, personally.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    People fight it <- And I tell them we should make them ride in on burros as the paved/gravel roads are only for those of us that progress over time :-)
  • Options
    Verna - I think besides the cell companies expanding their coverage, the park services should be running fiber optics into the parks. Most have electricty so at one point in time that was progress. They need to step up and get with the current tech.
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I too like to have reliable two-way communication when travelling.

When going through areas with poor cell phone/data reception (and there are plenty in the USA as well as Canada) I use a Delorme inReach Explorer. This one has some (not very good) GPS navigation functionality over the lower priced version.  There is a monthly plan that allows two way text communication as well as emergency/distress communications via satellite. The monthly plan can be suspended or features added or removed as you wish.

When travelling I send pre-programmed "I'm OK" messages to friends and family and when stopped I can compose and send text messages.

Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited February 2016
    Mercator said:

When going through areas with poor cell phone/data reception (and there are plenty in the USA as well as Canada) I use a Delorme inReach Explorer. This one has some (not very good) GPS navigation functionality over the lower priced version.  There is a monthly plan that allows two way text communication as well as emergency/distress communications via satellite. The monthly plan can be suspended or features added or removed as you wish.

When travelling I send pre-programmed "I'm OK" messages to friends and family and when stopped I can compose and send text messages.

I use the SPOT. It does not have navigation, but does have the pre-programmed messages.  It also has a monthly plan.  My family really appreciates the, "I'm OK" messages. It also can provide real time tracking information if I give them a link to a map and put the SPOT in that mode.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I just send a screen shot of the Allstays page with the name and description of where I will be and I tell the family I'll be out of touch. Coyote Howls East Campground surprised me this year with a much better and much updated Wi-Fi so I Had unexpected data service there. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    jkjenn said:
    Mercator said:

I use the SPOT. It does not have navigation, but does have the pre-programmed messages.  It also has a monthly plan.  My family really appreciates the, "I'm OK" messages. It also can provide real time tracking information if I give them a link to a map and put the SPOT in that mode.
    While a friend was through hiking the AT she had one, and gave a link to a real time map of where they were along the trail to friends and family.  It was good as a back-up if anything went wrong, and I was able to surprise them with some trail magic when they got in the area.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @Mercator, I have an inReach as well. Since I solo backpack, I use it for keeping in touch with my wife. I also like that you can have it ping at set intervals to a webpage where you can give access to family/friends to see where you are. I use a solar panel on the back of my pack to charge a battery and use that to charge my cell and inReach. We're going to bring it in the T@B when we get it and start camping. Love that it bluetooths to my cell, making it easier to send and read texts.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2016
    Yikes! Ok, ok...
    I admit there's something to be said for modern technology.

(Cool toys folks!) :-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    PXLated said:
    ChanW / Verna <- Showing your age :-)
    Ever seen anyone under 50 without their head in a text message? Most NPs, campgrounds, etc are going to have to modernize and get internet access. It's the modern version of paving the roads in. And that's a good thing - can you imagine the info you could pull up while viewing something. Can you imagine the info placard beacon triggerring a website on your phone? Instead of a 3x4 sign with limited text, you get old photos, videos and a much richer experience.
    Obviously I don't buy the "drop your tech and get out and enjoy nature" story. I'm more a "bring your tech and get a richer experience type. I mean, you're not carrying a box camera anymore, you're probably taking pics with a smart phone :-)

I saw this cartoon and immediately recalled this thread.  Couldn't resist.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    That's a good one - probably accurate in this day and age also.