Options

Wood Sink Cover

Has any one had trouble with the wood sink ? We have a 2016 T@B Max S  have had it for about 3 months and used it 4 times. The wood sink cover is warping and is now bowed up on both side making is useless when put on a flat surface and then place anything on it.
John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
South Carolina
Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Yep, happens to them all if they absorb moisture from the sink. Mine's dry at the moment so pretty straight. Some have replaced theirs with plastic cutting boards that fit in the sink.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Wooden cutting boards need special treatment.  Get some mineral oil from your pharmacy, apply generously both sides snd edges until it no longer soaks in and wipe excess off. Do this once a day for a week. Them once a week for a month, then monthly for the rest of its life.

Mineral oil is inexpensive, less expensive than the speciality blends that use mineral oil as their main component. Do not use mineral spirits, as it is not food safe like mineral oil is. And tes, the bottle from your pharmacy will say something about it being a constipation aid, because that is what it waa used for in years past. 

it is warping because the humidity is changing and each piece of wood is trying to adjust differently to the humidity. The mineral oil will act as a moisture retardant.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Thanks all. Perhaps LG should replace them with a non wood cutting bard andhen stamp their Logo into it.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I ditched mine. It was a good idea, but the mineral oil I use on my big kitchen cutting boards didn't seem to make a difference whether it warped or not. Now it's a pretty decoration in my house. I like the stamp on it.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We found an attractive bamboo cutting board that straddles the sink or stove nicely. Works good as a coffee table on the bed, too. No warping at all.

If anyone's interested, I'll look up the model and source.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    I use a plastic Camco one that has adjustable feet which can be adjusted to hold the board in place on top of the sink.  It stays there, even when travelling.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    Have a Camco also - Picked it up passing through Quartzite last year for $25.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited January 2016
    Would be nice to have a composite cutting board with a T@B logo as that would hold up well but might be a tad bit expensive.   I will probably talk myself into another custom made project via my buddy up the street...   =)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Mike - Agree - I have the Camco, it fits the sink but it doesn't match the sink like the wood one. Wrong radiuses on the corners. That kind of thing bugs me so the Camco is stored and the wood one (even though slighly warpped) is back in place.
  • Options
    marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378
    Can someone who owns an Outback please tell me if the glass (or plexiglas) cover for the sink is removable like the wooden one in the Max S? Or is it hinged like the stove? Or am I only dreaming that there is a cover for the sink on an Outback?
    Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    ChanW said:
    We found an attractive bamboo cutting board that straddles the sink or stove nicely. Works good as a coffee table on the bed, too. No warping at all.
    Yes, if the unit is still available.
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    JandJ92010JandJ92010 Member Posts: 304
    We have two of them, we use ours as serving trays.
    The HobbiT@B, 2015-L, towed by a2014 RAM C/V
  • Options
    MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
    marknjudy said:
    Can someone who owns an Outback please tell me if the glass (or plexiglas) cover for the sink is removable like the wooden one in the Max S? Or is it hinged like the stove? Or am I only dreaming that there is a cover for the sink on an Outback?
    It is hinged like the stove.  I have seen pictures of some new outbacks without the plexi cover.  With such limited counter space, I can't understand why they wouldn't put the cover on all models.  
    2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • Options
    I'm with you. Well, heck. That would have been nice to have one that matches the stove. Back to the drawing board. Or at least back to looking for/at the bamboo cover.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Please note the glass on the sink does not match the glass on the stove.  One is much darker than the other.  Just going by photos I've seen.  I have the wooden cutting board (which I really like BTW).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    MrAmazonMrAmazon Member Posts: 61
    OutbackAZ said:
    Please note the glass on the sink does not match the glass on the stove.  One is much darker than the other.  Just going by photos I've seen.  I have the wooden cutting board (which I really like BTW).
    That's true!  And kinda bugs me...guess it's the ADD.  There must be a reason behind it, right??
    2016 T@B silver Sofitel/Outback combo, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport TV, Kernersville N.C.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    I made a fancy cutting board for a friend's fancy sink years ago ( I'm a cabinet maker), and discovered what a dumb idea it was...moisture caused warping.  You should never store a wooden cutting board horizontally, keep as dry as you can, and wipe down with mineral oil.  A plastic equivalent would work much better...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Still have ours as well, but don't use it as a cutting board, merely a cover for the sink to set stuff on. Coated mine with polyurethane, and hasn't warped at all [did both sides]. I have a regular small wooden cutting board with feet that has been treated for over 20 years I use to cut things on. Couldn't bring myself to cut-up the cute T@B logo on the sink cover one! =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Yeah, we don't use ours for cutting either. I coated with 3 coats of polyurethane before it was ever used in the camper. We even placed a cloth under the faucet to catch any potential leaks. Used one weekend and it's already got a quarter inch warp from corner to corner. Pity. I really like the look of it and especially like the logo burned into it. It's not enough warping to toss yet, but I was thinking about future alternatives.
  • Options
    marknjudy, Once in a while, I set ours on a nice flat surface, and it seems to help. Like PXL said, they seem to absorb moisture from the sink, that's why I did both sides.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    I'll give that a try, ericnliz. I poly'd both sides and ends as well. Probably doesn't help with the humidity in Texas and Arkansas.
  • Options
    I live in the Pacific Northwest, so tell me a story about humidity and rain! Been rainin' for the last three days here, might have to get out the webbed feet! =)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    :)MrAmazon said:
    OutbackAZ said:
    That's true!  And kinda bugs me...guess it's the ADD.  There must be a reason behind it, right??

MrAmazon - I would notice it EACH and EVERY time I looked at them.  So, yes.  Probably ADD (or some exotic derivative) here also.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I would defer to you in the PNW, but there's a difference between humidity and submerged. Beautiful part of the country that I want to visit again. The time I was there it rained every day and someone said "this is nothing. You should see it in the rainy season".
  • Options
    marknjudy, This WOULD BE the rainy season, then the [dare I say it?] SNOW and really cold temps! Love the 4 seasons though, and wouldn't live anywhere else. Been to all 50 states at least twice, and keep coming back, so, either I'm a glutton for punishment, or just a little crazy! [Maybe both!] :o   ;) Gotta love it when there are over 100 lakes within 50 miles though!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I'm gonna have to agree. Here it is mid October in Texas and it's 90 degrees! I would like to at LEAST need to wear long pants. And I have pleasant dreams about these things called jackets or something like that. 

I''m not sure I want snow. Just a chance to test the Alde heater I hear so many good things about. :)
  • Options
    Fatman1966Fatman1966 Member Posts: 145
    edited October 2016
    I ordered mine with the glass cover. It's part of the Sofitel package and can be added but it's like (cost wise) adding the outback and Sofitel package to the order which gets pretty costly. I basically have both packages on my unit which I like but it was expensive to option them both
  • Options
    dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    marknjudy, This WOULD BE the rainy season, then the [dare I say it?] SNOW and really cold temps! Love the 4 seasons though, and wouldn't live anywhere else. Been to all 50 states at least twice, and keep coming back, so, either I'm a glutton for punishment, or just a little crazy! [Maybe both!] o   Gotta love it when there are over 100 lakes within 50 miles though!

ericnliz, I have never been to the PNW, but I will plan a trip hopefully not long after my T@b arrives. You all must have some incredible locations to camp!

Dave

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• Options
    Dave, Yep, sure do! [Some of 'em are a secret though] Just kidding, come on up & explore, you won't regret it!
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2016
    John, it's here:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FB6TSK

It has no finish, but we've used it as a cutting board, coffee table (red wine drips), dish drain board, etc., and it still looks like new.
    ChanW said:
    Yes, if the unit is still available.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya