Options

Snow! Finally!

ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
edited January 2016 in Camping & Travel
(for Jenn!)
Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
2014 S Maxx
2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Awesome! I am camping at an Ohio SP this weekend but thinking about driving up to Erie or western NY to okay in the snow!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Getting cold the first part of the week but back up to 40s by next Friday. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There's not a "No Like" to click on for that photo!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Looking at the potential for a big storm sometime between the 11-13 of this month. Starting to get excited.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    JeanneJeanne Member Posts: 65
    For all of you winter campers, after winterizing can you use the Alde fo heat?  Do you just not use the toilet and water?
    2014 T@B S Max, TV 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, Richland, WA
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    edited January 2016
    Jeanne said:
    For all of you winter campers, after winterizing can you use the Alde fo heat?  Do you just not use the toilet and water?
    Yes you can. My heat is on now because I am installing the Lagun mount, even though I winterized with antifreeze.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    leroybortleroybort Member Posts: 61
    Oh sure.  You can camp using the Alde when you're winterized.  We picked up our new Outback in October and have camped 7 or 8 nights, all in Ohio, some in our driveway  :)  The only thing we've noticed as it's gotten colder is the condensation which is elsewhere addressed.
    Sug@rsh@ck -  2016 Max S Outback, 2016 Nissan Pathfinder.  
  • Options
    I'm camping while winterized, with the Alde, as I slowly make my way to Arizona. I brought two jugs, 2.5 gallons each, of water from home, plus two cases of bottled water. I've allowed small amounts of water to go into the gray water tank-washing hands, washing dishes. I've been using Double Doodie bags on the toilet for night time, campground facilities when I'm out and for showers, too.  I'll i winterize when I get to AZ and when the nighttime temps will be above freezing. 

It has been toasty warm inside. I love the Lagun table-so much easier to get it out of the way at night.  

BUT, if there was snow on the ground like in Chan's photo, I'd be sitting inside waiting for it to melt!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Verna said:
    I'm camping while winterized, with the Alde, as I slowly make my way to Arizona. I brought two jugs, 2.5 gallons each, of water from home, plus two cases of bottled water. I've allowed small amounts of water to go into the gray water tank-washing hands, washing dishes. I've been using Double Doodie bags on the toilet for night time, campground facilities when I'm out and for showers, too.  I'll i winterize when I get to AZ and when the nighttime temps will be above freezing. 

It has been toasty warm inside. I love the Lagun table-so much easier to get it out of the way at night.  

BUT, if there was snow on the ground like in Chan's photo, I'd be sitting inside waiting for it to melt!
    I used bags this weekend, too as the facilities were not close to my site and less than desirable. I use the Travel John bags. The Alde kept things nice and toasty as the wind chill brought the overnight temperatures below 15. I sponge bathed by heating water on the stove. Lake effect snow was moving in as I moved out of my site today.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Using the Alde when winterized is fine, but there's a specific way to winterize if you're going to use the Alde.

You'll need to either winterize your pipes using the compressed air 'blow out' method, or bypass the Alde when you're adding the antifreeze to the plumbing.

Either way, it leaves the Alde free of antifreeze, with only air in it, while it's operating, per Alde's recommendation.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Chan, I used only air, from my 12V tire compressor, with some pink antifreeze in the sink and shower. I don't know if the shower pink stuff was necessary, but I used up the rest of the jug, so I called it good. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Verna, the shower does need the antifreeze, cuz there's a trap underneath it. The trap is enclosed in a metal box that you can access under the Tab. That little box leaves it pretty exposed to the cold outside. I've considered filling that box with insulation (but probably won't get a round tewit)...

Winterizing the black and gray tanks/valves as well, is discussed in a previous thread.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya