Options

S Max ... our first T@b and our Maiden Voyage

lara9209lara9209 Member Posts: 45
We picked our T@b S Max up at the dealer on Dec 19th in Tacoma, WA.  Husband is retired and I will retire on Feb 5th 2016, but we couldn't wait and took it on its shakedown trip yesterday (New Years Day) to Cape Disappointment on the SW Washington coast. 

Sadly, we had to turn around and come home (9.5 hour round trip). The Alde control panel had no power going to it.  With temps dipping below 25F at night, we simply weren't properly equipped to spend the night in those temps with no heat. 

We took her to back to the dealer in Tacoma today ... they helped us figure it out.  There are two fuses that are back under the seat where the Alde system is located (drivers side under the bed bench).  He reached in there and viola ... the blown fuse that caused the issue.  In fact, Alde has actually left two spare fuses in the compartment (that might tell us something ;-).

The technician indicated that this is a new model for Alde and it's the 2nd time that he's seen the fuse go.  Hypothesis is that it is small (3.15 amp), glass, and that it may be breaking from the vibration as the T@B is getting towed.  We do live 2 miles off of paved roads, so there may be something to that.

I just wanted to share with all in case anyone else is having issues with power to the Alde electronic control panel.  Was a REALLY simple fix.  

Don't yet have a perspective on the vehicle other than was pretty simple to tow and we are learning a lot from the Forums ... thanks all!

John & Lisa, 2016 M@x S, Silver/Yellow, Hood Canal, WA, TV = 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Spare fuse kits are essential in any trailer. Sorry it delayed your trip. There are many posts on here about what fuses to carry. Oh well happy travels ahead. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    thanks!  chalking it up to learning ... will definitely search for the posts on which spares to carry ...

John & Lisa, 2016 M@x S, Silver/Yellow, Hood Canal, WA, TV = 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have driven on some pretty bumpy forest service roads and over 10,000 miles and never blown a fuse (thankfully.) It would be nice to try to figure out if there was a rhyme or reason to people blowing these fuses or if it is simply random so we all knew. I have my own theory but it is simply a guess type of theory. I have a few questions if you don't mind:
    1. Were you using a surge protector?
    2. Were you running the Alde on shore power or LP, or both? If shore, what amp service and what was the slider on the far left set to (1, 2, or 3 lightning bolts)?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Ouch - That's too bad.
    Same as Jenn - 15,000 miles over a lot of back roads with no Alde fuse problems. More trip details might reveal the cause/problem.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I think my Alde fuse blew when I left the Alde control panel on when breaking camp. The next day, plugged the power in, and no heat or hot water. I use a surge protector and check the electric pedestal before connecting the power. I know that Michigan Mike experienced the same blown fuse and he had left his Alde control on also.  Coincidence? I haven't read where anyone one has described this as a possible explanation for the Alde blown glass fuse. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    kybobkybob Member Posts: 232
    Congratulations on your new T@B. Your experience will remind me to make sure that the Alde is working before I leave on any cold weather trips. Also, what I plan to do is take my little electric cube heater to warm the camper up while the Alde is warming up. In cold weather, I always carry my heavy duty sleeping bag even if not camping, just in case I get stuck in traffic due to bad weather.
    2018 Outback S, Silver/Black - 2015 Silver Honda Pilot 4WD - Florence, KY

• Options
    jkjenn said:
    I have driven on some pretty bumpy forest service roads and over 10,000 miles and never blown a fuse (thankfully.) It would be nice to try to figure out if there was a rhyme or reason to people blowing these fuses or if it is simply random so we all knew. I have my own theory but it is simply a guess type of theory. I have a few questions if you don't mind:
    1. Were you using a surge protector?
    2. Were you running the Alde on shore power or LP, or both? If shore, what amp service and what was the slider on the far left set to (1, 2, or 3 lightning bolts)?
    yes ... dealer is going to get on the phone with Alde this week as this is the 2nd one they have had with this fuse blown lately.  We were not using a surge protector (hadn't thought of it ... but will now add one to the kit).  We had just plugged into shore power, hadn't gotten to LP.  The issue wasn't with the Alde heater per se, but rather the control panel for the heater didn't work.  My husband thought it was a 30 amp service (but can't be sure). 

Good to know that T@bs can go over all the forest service roads ... we live on one and will be hauling across many others I am sure.  We did move the spare tire out from under based on other peoples suggestions here in the forum.  Since we were concerned it was riding a bit low for the backroads.  

we will be heading back out in 2 weeks ... so we shall see how we do this round (with lots of spare fuses)!!

@boo thanks for the tip on "emergency fuse packs" & yes, we got a mifi to take on the road so that we can log in from our tablet ... and have now bookmarked the forums on the tablet ... thanks!

We undoubtedly have lots more to learn and expect much to be from our fellow "T@bbers"!
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Sorry that happened to - especially on your maiden voyage. Seriously-is it called cape disappointment?
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    JeanneJeanne Member Posts: 65
    We have had continual problems with an Alde fuse blowing. Still trying to solve the situation, but have gotten great at switching them out. Find the list of fuses here on the forum and always carry spares. 
    2014 T@B S Max, TV 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, Richland, WA