Options

Playing a video on the Jensen

Looking for some help on if you can watch a video from a IPad on the Jensen TV. Not sure how to hook it up, to work. 

Comments

• Options
    elmeauxelmeaux Member Posts: 44
    You probably want this: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter You would also need an hdmi cable. 

If your iPad is older and has a 30 pin connector instead of lightning there were a/v adapters for it too. 

2016 M@x S Sofitel - The T@bahoula
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thanks, Elmeaux, for showing me something I didn't know I needed =)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    2canoe2canoe Member Posts: 74
    We have found that there are protections to prevent showing movies purchased through Amazon and Netflix.  I'll read the post above and it might answer my question but does anyone know of a work around?
    2canoe, 2015 T@B Q-Max
  • Options
    I haven't yet had the opportunity to try connecting anything to the Jensen myself. The Jensen set up may not be HDCP compliant which could cause that, 2canoe. 

If you have a more recent AppleTV there's Peer to Peer Airplay which might work. As soon as I get the electrical problems with my T@B fixed I can investigate and test some of this, see what works and report back. 

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    With AppleTV though you'd need 110v (gen or hookup).
  • Options
    That's very true, PX. The feasibility of using the AppleTV would definitely depend on your camping style. One of the "stick" devices (Roku, Chrome or Fire) might work for boondocking since they just plug into the TV (especially if you aren't using iOS.) Not sure what, if any, peer to peer type options they have though. Worth looking into if a direct cabled connection to the Jensen isn't in the cards for your device.

One other comment on 2canoe's problem, a faulty or even an older cable could cause an HDCP error as well. Much like "check your fuses" in our campers, with computer systems "check your cables" is usually a suggested first step when you have an issue. Worth testing if you have extra cables around.

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Please read the excellent article at this link about what HDCP errors are and how to stream content you've paid for, but can't seem to get access to because of older equipment and devices:

http://www.howtogeek.com/208917/htg-explains-how-hdcp-breaks-your-hdtv-and-how-to-fix-it/

I hope it helps. I learned a lot.

*hugs*
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    edited January 2016
    I use an Android TV stick to stream Netflix and Amazon. I can also store movies on it. Can be bought for around $40.
    See this thread http://www.tab-rv.com/forum#/discussion/1869/t-b-audio-and-video-modification for a picture of it.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited January 2016
    Awww, the link takes me to the forum homepage, larry! I'll do a search.

Edited to add: Found it! I think there needs to be a /p1 at the end of your link. No matter! Search found it easily. I wish my tv (television) was in the same spot as yours. Moving it is on my "to do" list. I just don't look forward to moving the Jensen cords and adding support for behind the shower wall.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Ratkitty, that's a good article for explaining the HDCP problem, but their solution of using an HDMI splitter leads us back to PX's concern with the AppleTV, which is you need 110v to implement it. 

• Options
    edited January 2016
    larrygon - With any downloading/streaming you need an internet connection - If you're on the road that generally means a cell data connection with a BIG data plan or hitting a good fast wifi connection for a download. I have a 20 gig plan and don't use it for movies - doesn't take many to bust your data cap. Using publicly available wifi on the road is hit/miss. With many it takes forever to download. I have "The Wrecking Crew" downloaded - took 2-3 days at various hot spots to get the whole thing.
    I've often thought if you're on the road and a movie buff (I'm more into books), spending a night in a motel with good broadband might be worth the price so you could go nuts downloading for 24hrs.
    Streaming services are a different can of worms, can't download so even though I have Netflix I haven't used it for over a year.
  • Options
    Hey PX, I am spoiled having unlimited data with Verizon. I also have a large DVD library that I have converted to play on the Android stick. Some libraries have DVDs available. There is also Redbox. You can return a DVD to any Redbox in any state regardless where you rented it.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
  • Options
    larrygon - Newish Macs don't have optical drives - They've moved to the internet/cloud age. They're always moving ahead - They did that with the floppy years ago also, probably 5-6 years before legacy constrained PCs did.
  • Options
    External DVD drives are available. 
  • Options
    Yes they are - Haven't had a pressing need, have plenty of books :-)
    May get one this summer, I have a friend that used to be an R&B/Blues dj and has the largest cd collection of that genre I've ever seen - May camp in his driveway and rip for a week.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
     May camp in his driveway and rip for a week.
    I hope you mean CDs and not an issue with beans or being lactose intolerant!
  • Options
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If using Windows 8  or 10 devices (laptop, tablet, phone), it's piece of cake to use a Miracast (wireless display adapter) to watch without having to deal with wires. This should also work with any Android device that supports Miracast, which I believe most do these days. You aren't limited to apps, either. You can broadcast whatever is on your screen.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks Jenn! I didn't know about Miracast. I just ordered the Netgear adapter to use with our Nexus 10. Cool!

Although mostly in the T@b, we just use the DVD player.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited January 2016
    ChanW said:
    Thanks Jenn! I didn't know about Miracast. I just ordered the Netgear adapter to use with our Nexus 10. Cool!

Although mostly in the T@b, we just use the DVD player.
    Yeah, there are times it's nice to look at a picture or video you took on your phone on a bigger screen, immediately or times I have used it with maps, documents, or just a web browser.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited January 2016
    On Apple stuff, there's AirPlay - allows you to send display from one device to another - no device needed, built in.
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    @PXLated, I thought if you are using AirPlay you had to be on the same network and the receiving device be another Apple device or AppleTV?
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    Ya, it's an Apple thing - The Apple products set up their own WiFi connection. Same with personal hot spots - Can't recall if you have to turn on wifi - don't think so, think it does it automatically.
  • Options
    Where do I find this AirPlay?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Newer Apple devices support what they call Peer to Peer AirPlay which does not require you to be on the same network. 

Verna, if you swipe up from the bottom of the screen you get an AirPlay button. It will also be available in some apps natively. I'm assuming you are up to date with your iOS version of course  

• Options
    Got it!  Thank you. I never have swiped down (or is it up?) far enough tl see it. If I did, I didn't know what it was and figured I would find out later.  And, yes, I uploaded the lastest update before I left home. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna - Swipe down is notifications - Swipe up is controls, etc.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    larrygon said:
    Hey PX, I am spoiled having unlimited data with Verizon. I also have a large DVD library that I have converted to play on the Android stick. Some libraries have DVDs available. There is also Redbox. You can return a DVD to any Redbox in any state regardless where you rented it.
    Larry - how many movies (approximately) can be stored on the Android stick? Are they better than the typical jump drive? And lastly what does one need to convert their dvd's to play on the stick? Since I'll be full-time, I'd love to do something like this instead of packing DVD's. Michele
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    So do the new Jensen tv's allow video playback this way? Anyone know? "You need to be aware that not every HDTV set will allow you to play video that is stored on your external hard drive, and that not all videos are supported by your HDTV. So first you need to find out whether or not your HDTV will support movie playback from an external hard drive."
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I was hoping to put movies on a flash drive but according to the Jensen manuals that came with my T@B, only music and photos are supported via the usb port. So I think the answer is no; haven't tested that though.