Options

Water Tank Filling

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    The only additional note might be to 'sanitize' your water system every so often. Do a search for sanitizing camper/RV water systems. The Tab's fresh water system is relatively small, so it doesn't take much to keep it clean.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    ChanW - Yep, easy enough to do also. Even on the road.
  • Options
    TweedrvrTweedrvr Member Posts: 122
    Thank you, everyone. Feel more confident. 
    Martha in E. Thetford, VT. Temp 87
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    vitovito Member Posts: 181
    Not sure if I am missing something in all this discussion. I am also very new to camping and the T@b (we've only been out once). Before leaving home I fill the fresh water tank with a garden hose. I can't tell how often I might drink from my garden hose but its never been a problem. If I hook up to city water at an RV park, then I assume my 11 gallon water tank just sits unused. If I had to refill it, I could use the water hose that I have hooked up from the city water spigot to my T@b inlet. I'm not sure I understand what all the effort here is about, or is it just that while getting ready for a camping trip you don't want to use water from your own garden hose? 
    2016 T@b S Maxx
    2011 Subaru Outback
    Rockford, Illinois
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    We don't fill the water tank because we know we're hooking up to city water at camp. That extra weight of water in the tank just isn't needed.

When we get to camp, we hook up the pressure regulator, the filter and the white potable water hose, then slowly turn on the tap at the sink to bleed air out of the lines, then we're good to go.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    If you know you're going to have a water hookup OR you know you can onboard the water when you get to the campground then don't fill it, saves quite a bit of weight.
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    I don't have a city water connection.  I fill my tank about 1/2 full when I head out.  I may add once I'm at the campground, depending on length of stay.  I drink from my tank.  Camped all of my life, and have always done that.  
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
    Two questions:
    1. so the city connection won't flow into the water tank (that I have pre-filled with drinkable water), right?
    2. if no city connection, is taking hot shower still possible?

Thanks. 
    2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston
  • Options
    1) Right - Two separate systems
    2) Yes - It uses water from the storage tank if not hooked up. Remember to turn on the water pump though. Don't need it when hooked up.
  • Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    I'm a newbie as well.  When connecting from the city water hookup and filling the tank(s) that way, what will stop the city water from overflowing in the camper?
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    Thanks Sandra - so when the on board water tank from the city water is full it simply overflows outside the camper?
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    Yep - there's a little overflow/vent right above the filler tube that will start spitting water as well as the main filler tube - at that point, you're full.
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    On our T@B hooking water from a spigot to the city water inlet does not fill the tank.  We can only fill the tank by using the tank filler.  However, both the tank outlet and the city water connection apparently go to the water pump inlet, we can hear the city water rotate the water pump which is turned off.  There is apparently a check valve on the tank that only allows water out of the tank. So when there is water in the tank if floods the pump inlet, priming it, but it does not come out the city water inlet as it is higher than the top of the tank.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2015
    PXLated said:
    Yep - there's a little overflow/vent right above the filler tube that will start spitting water as well as the main filler tube - at that point, you're full.
    On our 2014, and probably on your 2013 too, Jimbo, the overflow is not on the filler fitting, but a tube comes out in the middle front, under the trailer. You can hear it dribbling when it gets full.

In fact, on ours, that little vent hole above the filler tube was not connected to anything, and allowed water to seep into the wall cavity behind the filler. You might want to check that.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    ChanW said:
    PXLated said:
    On our 2014, and probably on your 2013 too, Jimbo, the overflow is not on the filler fitting, but a tube comes out in the middle front, under the trailer. You can hear it dribbling when it gets full.

In fact, on ours, that little vent hole above the filler tube was not connected to anything, and allowed water to seep into the wall cavity behind the filler. You might want to check that.
    Same on my early 2015.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    Not to put a damper on things, but you do need to ensure your water system is maintained for safe consumption. Initially and each season, the water system should be sanitized. Think of how you would feel about drinking out of a water bottle where the water has been sitting in the hot sun for months, and was not sealed. I would suggest using a commercial potable water sanitizing product or diluted household bleach. There are several schools of thought on using bleach. The next thing is flush the system.  Fill them empty the tank using the drain. Repeat until you are satisfied it is well rinsed. You can use the city water as a supply to flush all taps, shower and toilet. Ensure you flush the hot system as well. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744

Try this...works every time... No drip no mess...
    6 bucks for hose at wal mart 
    screw into spigot hole on water jug
    leave it on for future use
    use other half of your cut hose to screw on your fresh water hose when using it to fill your tank

@Deltaboy59 I was at walmart today without the benefit of looking at this thread first, but was pretty sure that I knew the parts you were using on this mod. However, when I got there and tried to connect the water hose the spigot, I couldn't get the threads to take. Did you just force them in? Because at first glance, it doesn't seem they are the same thread.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @dsatwork, While you're at Wally World, look for the siphon pump that takes 2 "D" cell batteries. Long enough hose to reach, no adapter required. Go on-line to Walmart.....type in siphon pump, it's the one listed as "Fashion Automatic Electric Fuel Fluid Water Siphon Pump". Works like a champ...cost..$10.79.
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options

ericnliz said:

@dsatwork, While you're at Wally World, look for the siphon pump that takes 2 "D" cell batteries. Long enough hose to reach, no adapter required. Go on-line to Walmart.....type in siphon pump, it's the one listed as "Fashion Automatic Electric Fuel Fluid Water Siphon Pump". Works like a champ...cost..$10.79.

Thanks for the idea, I actually have a portable shower that could be adapted to work like this. I just need to see if the pump will fit down the neck of the bottle and it stores in a little bag. How do you store this one, does it brake down to a smaller package for storing?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    @dsatwork It's long, and skinny, and the hose clips to the side of the siphon housing. Just let it dry out a little, and store it under the passenger side bench with all the other tool "stuff". You'll want to take the batteries out so if the switch inadvertently gets tapped, it doesn't drain your batteries. Those I have a battery case to store in with all the other AA, AAA, C, and D cell batteries.
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    @ericnliz Thank you. Sounds like a reasonable solution but I was hoping to use the resources, I already own. I pulled out my shower pump out yesterday, to see if the pump portion would drop inside the the 6 gallon desert patrol style Reliance tanks I have and it's too big.  :s It will fit in the 5 gallon cubes I have, but those take up so much room in the tow vehicle and the 6 gallon desert patrol style Reliance tanks can just get stuffed anywhere if they are empty. I may just be adding water to the fresh tank manually again on this trip. But these Tab's are so particular and it seems that using the 6 gallon desert patrol style Reliance tanks and jamming the 3/4" nozzle into the fill hole created air bubbles that the under powered pump couldn't pull through. Arrrg I'm hoping that all the stuff that was inside my fresh water tank is out now and the pump won't be as temperamental. Do you hear the frustration in my voice? I'm actually taking a replacement pump with me on this trip and I'm hoping I won't have to waste my time installing while I'm on the road.
  • Options
    @dsatwork, I found a collapsible 5 gallon container some time ago. Can't recall where I found it now. That's the only one I use. It has a removable filler/spout on the top, so I just insert the siphon pump & let 'er rip. I'll see if I can't find one, or similar & let you know. Plus side to it is you open the spout, squeeze all the air out, close spout, & it stores flat! 
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    @ericnliz that's actually a great idea and I already own one. I wonder if I could just slide a piece of vinyl tube over the end, set it on the battery box and walk away while it fills?
  • Options
    @dsatwork, Might work, gravity is (sometimes :o ) your friend! Just gotta watch for the "tipping" factor on the container when it starts to drain.  ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I have  Zodi & Ivation water pumps and when time permits I might try both out as potential FW pumps and she if they are effective and work in filling the tank.
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    vishervisher Member Posts: 3
    I hate hoisting a 5 gallon water jug up to pour into the fresh water tank as well. Siphon works if you put it on the propane tank cover but that is too weak to support the weight safely. I installed a small 12 volt water pump under the T@B with intake and discharge tubes stored next to propane tank. 

I haul the five gallon jug from the campground spigot and place it next to the trailer then drop the intake hose into the jug, the discharge into the fill hatch, flip a switch and fill up. No interior plumbing required. This system has worked for about 4 months total on the road and I am very happy with it.
  • Options
    Love to see a picture of the mod and what pump you bought....great idea 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    visher said:
    I hate hoisting a 5 gallon water jug up to pour into the fresh water tank as well. Siphon works if you put it on the propane tank cover but that is too weak to support the weight safely. I installed a small 12 volt water pump under the T@B with intake and discharge tubes stored next to propane tank. 

I haul the five gallon jug from the campground spigot and place it next to the trailer then drop the intake hose into the jug, the discharge into the fill hatch, flip a switch and fill up. No interior plumbing required. This system has worked for about 4 months total on the road and I am very happy with it.
    Agree with dsatwork, can you post up some photos???  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ