Putting a bike rack on the Outback cargo carrier

We've just purchased a T@B Outback (pretty excited to be hitting the road in a month or so), and we're wondering if anyone has tried to put bikes on the cargo carrier?  We know there's a Yakima attachment, but curious as to whether anyone has actually tried this.
Thanks - and happy to be part of the Forum - lots of great information here.
T@B Outback | Jeep| Canada|

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited January 2016
    There's a weight limit restriction on the rack (70# I think - read enclosed info). That said, my sister and BF (with 2015 Outback) have bike racks for 2 bikes (yakima) plus the spare on their rack and it rides solid with no issues (sorry, haven't seen pictures. Just heard reports). These are not heavy mt bikes, but higher end/lighter road bikes. As an alternative, I've heard many people use folding bikes, especially since prices have dropped dramatically in the past few years.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I am not aware of anyone doing this and for the price of the trailer am not sure I would risk damaging the skin and risking the integrity of the trailer frame, etc.   I'm sure that a tire would be fine or something of a lesser weight, but have never heard of anyone strapping bikes on the rear cargo carrier.  As Ratkity noted, the Arvika bike rack is much better suited for that task and by placing bikes between the tow vehicle and trailer you do minimize any pounding and down forces created at the rear of these trailers.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    edited January 2016
    In keeping with Mike's suggestion, the Arvika bike rack allows you to glimpse at the bikes to make sure there isn't any undo wobbling or tie-down issues. Sorta a peace of mind thing for me. I once had to beep repeatedly at a small sedan to get their attention because the two road bikes they had on their trunk bike rack were bouncing so badly, I was afraid one was going to bounce off. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We're in the same boat, er T@b.  I'm trying to figure out the best way to haul 2 bikes, either road or mountain depending on the trip.  Our bikes are very light so weight is not the issue,  however we'd like to be able to carry them either on the TV or the trailer.  Really don't want to buy the Arvika, since we already have 3 different bike carriers, and I want to be able to leave the trailer in a campground, and take the bikes on the TV, which is an Xterra.  

I just took the tire off the roof rack;  even if we don't use the roof rack for the bikes, I think I want the tire off the roof.   I was going to attempt to put the Thule 2 bike tray rack in the roof basket and attach it somehow to the rack.  That way I could remove it and use it on the Xterra hitch when we wanted to leave the camper parked. But I'm beginning to think it's too much work.  If I end up with the Yakima bike mounts that would work on the T@b rack,  I'll probably just end up putting them on the Xterra roof, since either place is uncomfortably high to use.  No matter what decision we make, it looks like major compromise will take place.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    I had Pleasant Valley install the Outback-style tire rack on the back of my 2015 T@B.   I prefer the tire there than underneath.   However also carrying bikes on the Yakima rack puts the weight on the rack seriously over its limits.   We carry our bikes on top of the Jeep and, depending on where our travels take us, also carry either two sea kayaks or recreational kayaks up there along with the bikes. 
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • CatKanCatKan Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2016
    Thanks everyone for the input - lots to consider between weight, and convenience.  We are considering the Yakima Frontloader as our bike rack.  On our Jeep is a Thule crossroads crossbar which will accommodate the Frontloader.  We are now planning on carrying bikes 80% of the time on top of the Jeep. For the 20% of the time that we will also take our canoe we plan to carry the canoe on the Jeep, the spare tire from the T@B into the back of the Jeep and carry the bikes on the back carrier of the T@B to solve the weight limit.  We considered the Arvika but with the front utility platform, it doesn't seem that it can be put there easily.  If we get this sorted satisfactorily, I'll post pics.
    I just ordered a couple of these Inno http://www.rackwarehouse.com/inno-ina392-multi-fork-lock-thru-axle-bike-carrier.html  carriers to put on the Outback rack.  They are not only less costly than the Yakima versions,  they are compatible with different mountain bike thru axles or regular 9mm skewers.  We will be using both style axles, so this was nice to find.  Another bonus, is that locks are included, which were extra with Yakima; only question will be quality.  I think the combined weight of the racks and our bicycles won't be much more than the tire was up there, so not too concerned about that.

For times when we think we'll want to drop the T@b and take the bikes with the TV,  we're going to get the $40 dual hitch receiver and take the our hitch mounted rack that folds up.  It won't be usable with the T@b attached,  but once we drop the T@b, we can fold down the bike rack and take off.   Not the most elegant solution,  but if the person with the most bike racks wins,  we're at least going to be competitive. :)

Thanks db_cooper !  And as to most bike racks - that made me laugh - we have at least 3 different versions, and are about to get a 4th!
    I got the Inno bike racks installed on the T@b Outback rack last night,  I think they are going to work out great, quality seems as good as Thule or Yakima.  Only "drawback" I see is that since the locks are included I now have to carry 2 keys.  With the big brands you buy the locks separate and can get matching locks.  For the money though, these look very good. Plus the attachment to the rack is universal and will work on just about everything.

If it stops raining today, I plan to put the bikes on and take pictures.  Want to make sure the rack works with disc brakes the way it claims too, don't foresee a problem.  The inserts to adjust for different axle sizes click into the rack,  and are easy to swap out,  looks like an ingenious system.  Not sure why Yakima doesn't have something similar.

So the bike rack count now stands at 1 trunk mount that holds up to 3 bikes on just about any vehicle.  1 Thule 2 bike hitch mount tray carrier.   1 Curt 4 bike hitch mount tray carrier (for those trips where we can't decide between road bike or mtn. bike).   And now 2 Inno rooftop carriers.  Also have Yakima kayak racks,  and ski racks for both cars.  Whew. :)

edited February 2016
    I count this as a success,  even though there was a mishap.  I learned another lesson the hard way. 

I think these racks are going to work great for our purposes,  but will be much easier with 2 people.   I put the wife's bike on first, and while putting the fork on the rack I let it slip and ding the roof.  A nice half inch scratch with a good size dimple.  :bawling:    The skin of these things are not very tough,  at least it didn't punch a hole.  Not happy with myself, but made me glad it wasn't brand new.  With 2 people, one person can just stand behind the trailer and hold the back tire of the bike while the other person positions and tightens the front fork attachment.  Each of our bikes our under 30 lbs,  so doing this with heavier bikes would obviously be tougher. 

With that lesson learned I put my bike on with the thru axle attachment (also solo,  but knowing now to be very careful).  That went off without a hitch.

The racks attach to the crossbar with a flexible rubber coated metal strap.  After loading the bikes and giving them a shake, I tightened up the straps.  It seems solid,  but since there will be more bouncing back there I'm thinking I will add a buckle strap from the bottom bracket of the bike around the bike rack itself as backup.

So now my next project is to fill in the dimple and put a sticker over it.  I'm sure over the years I'll have many more reasons to put stickers up there.

Nice looking set-up, db!
    Thanks for the pics of that - really helps to see it set up.  And also thanks for 'lessons learned'.  We've decided to go with putting the bikes on top of the Jeep - with a stool type step ladder to reach :-).  We head out in a couple of weeks for our shake down trip so I'm sure we will learn a lot!!
    If you need a step stool idea, we already had a Walmart mainstays brand stool sitting around,  that folds flat and that we will be using with our Outback.  Same brand as the table everyone here gets at Walmart.  It's sturdy and perfect for putting the bikes on the trailer, and would work for your Jeep too.  I plan on folding it flat and storing in the load warrior rack along with a piece of outdoor carpet to put at the front door.

• TrailsnailTrailsnail Member Posts: 21
    I put a front hitch on my expedition and put bike rack on front of vehicle. Works well and easy to remove bikes
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    I put a front hitch on my expedition and put bike rack on front of vehicle. Works well and easy to remove bikes
    Can you provide a link and/or some photos? I also have an Expedition.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • lykopis33lykopis33 Member Posts: 19
    Another rack question...has anyone used a kayak rack on it?   I was more concerned with wind resistance with kayak mounted. 
    I carry 2 heavy fiberglass sea kayaks,  but on the vehicle roof.  I wouldn't even carry one on the outback with the angle the rack is,  Plus it would probably drag on the ground being 18 feet long.  I might put one whitewater kayak on there, but I don't think I would do two.   I'm putting carbon fiber bikes on ours, and maybe a few light bulky items in the cargo rack, but that's it. I think it's even more important to abide the rack weight limit than on a car rack,  I don't want to stress the roof of the T@B.

FYI: An updated report on the addition of the Yakima Outback Rack to my T@Bitha for the spare tire:

I made sure the basket was level and the shoes tight in the track before putting the spare on - obvious to do. Double-checked during first time towing with the rack at the first stop and one shoe was loose enough to move the basket slightly out of position. I had to bump it up and tighten the two lower basket shoes with the provided wrench. Did one more check at another stop, and did a little quarter turn of one of the other shoes (nothing had moved). Still seems tight. Initially, I didn't want to over-tighten and break anything.

For those adding a small amount of additional weight besides the 40# tire, check to see if there's any basket movement after towing for a little bit.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    db, it really looks cool. Can't wait to see your rig fully loaded! Sure don't want to be behind you on the freeway! B-)

Because of the angle of the rack on the back of the Tab there, I'd worry that it might be hard on your headset bearings, constantly pulling/bouncing down on them at an angle like that. The headset is really holding most of the weight of the bike in that rack configuration. Keep an eye on those handlebars for looseness and flat spots.
    db_cooper said:
    I count this as a success,  even though there was a mishap.  I learned another lesson the hard way. 

I think these racks are going to work great for our purposes,  .........

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    ChanW said:
    db, it really looks cool. Can't wait to see your rig fully loaded! Sure don't want to be behind you on the freeway! B-)

Because of the angle of the rack on the back of the Tab there, I'd worry that it might be hard on your headset bearings, constantly pulling/bouncing down on them at an angle like that. The headset is really holding most of the weight of the bike in that rack configuration. Keep an eye on those handlebars for looseness and flat spots.
    db_cooper said:

I think these racks are going to work great for our purposes,  .........

I'm going to add a ratchet strap from the bottom bracket to the rack as back up to the fork mount, just in case something fails.  For the mountain bikes I'm not too worried about headsets since there is a shock between the fork and handlebar,  can't be much worse than actually riding.   For the road bikes, they are so light being carbon, that I can't imagine there being much force applied.  Either way, I do most of my own bike wrenching, so it won't be a problem if I do mess up headsets.  I will be keeping a close eye on the way this system works, and if it doesn't,  I will update this.  I can always move the bikes to the TV, but it sooo much higher, I hope this works.  If I drop a bike on the roof again I'll probably be going to the TV rack anyways.  I have a plan, (use 2 people) :).

• JK5756JK5756 Member Posts: 25
    Picking up my 2 Inno racks this weekend from REI.  I really liked your setup db...will let you know how it turns out!! 
  • JK5756JK5756 Member Posts: 25

Thanks for the Inno rack recommendation db_cooper!! Very happy with this setup!!

Looks great, let us know how it goes.  We are still waiting for warmer weather to take the bikes anywhere.   FYI,  I moved the towers all the way down in the rails as far as they would go.  Also, we took the spare off and put it inside for now under the rear bench passenger side,  I'm planning on putting the front wheels in a cargo bag along with other light items, like an outdoor rug, and our dirty bike shoes, etc.

Definitely like the design of the racks, it's nice that they work with all types of front axles. 

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350

B) You think your bike rack is clever?  THIS is a clever bike rack! 

I'll file this under "Solution Looking for a Problem."

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited March 2016
    My bike rack installed.,

Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

Took the first long trip with the bikes on the Inno Racks.  600 miles round trip, a few bad roads, and nothing bad to report.  Everything stayed in place,  had two chairs in the cargo basket, and 2 26 lb mountain bikes up there.  Everything was tight, and undamaged.

You learn something from every trip at this early stage.  The front wheels really got in the way in the tow vehicle,  so I purchased 2 Yakima front tire fork holders as soon as I got home.  They are mounted to the cargo box at the bottom.  Had to take the Yakima fairing off, but it's useless in this configuration anyway.

• LorieTLorieT Member Posts: 24
    T@Balong said:
    I had Pleasant Valley install the Outback-style tire rack on the back of my 2015 T@B.   I prefer the tire there than underneath.   However also carrying bikes on the Yakima rack puts the weight on the rack seriously over its limits.   We carry our bikes on top of the Jeep and, depending on where our travels take us, also carry either two sea kayaks or recreational kayaks up there along with the bikes. 
    I also had Outback-style tire rack installed on back of 2015 T@B. I don't have anything in/on it yet as I was concerned about weight, but would like to place spare tire inside. You haven't had any problems with tire?  And, how did you attach?
    Lorie Tuma, Mt. Pleasant, MI
    2015 Tab S
  • T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Lorie............the tire came attached from the factory, the way they are on all Outback models.   Some people prefer their tire to be stored elsewhere.   I realize it is a matter of personal preference, but I like both the appearance and the functionality of the Outback-style Yakima tire rack, which is why I ordered it that way.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    So, we put two comfort bikes weighing 36lbs each on our Outback rack and experienced too much sway as soon as we got a little wind at highway speed. We pulled off at the first exit and put our bikes inside and kept going on a 500 mile trip to Brown County SP, in Indiana. For the trip home I shoved the canoe and Rocket Box over and got one of the bikes on the roof, then put one of the bikes back on the Outback rack, filled the fresh water tank, and got very little sway even with a flag straitening crosswind. That heavy wind made my partner nervous so I pulled over at the next gas station and put that bike inside the Outback. We were monitoring the movement on the camper closely and noticed it still moved a little in the heavy wind, i.e. we don't think the bike on or off the rack made much difference. Now I'm considering getting a sway bar.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    How fast were you driving?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio