Options

Flipping window shades/screen.

Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

My window screens are on the bottom with shades on top.  Has anyone flipped their window screens so that the shades are on the bottom?  If so, what was involved?

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Someone did as I recall - It's fairly simple...Take off corner trim pieces, unscrew the four screws, reverse, rescrew, replace corner trim pieces. However, it's really hard to get at the top screws on the drivers side as they are up under the valance.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I flipped ours, a 2014 model, and as PXL says, it's simple, but I think it depends on which year you have, as to the details.

I think they changed styles in these more recent models.

The only complication for me was that some of the screw holes were a bit stripped, had been overtightened when they were initially installed. No big deal though.

OutbackAZ said:

My window screens are on the bottom with shades on top.  Has anyone flipped their window screens so that the shades are on the bottom?  If so, what was involved?

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I posed the same question a while back. I like the idea. I just flipped the front and passenger side very easy. Took about 10 minutes. The bottom holes require new holes, but the self tapping screws make it easy with a cordless drill. DW likes the added privacy, and you can still see out. Should have done it sooner.

1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    You guys crack me up. 10 minutes indeed! One hour later, both were done. BTW, Harbor Freight has this small ratcheting bit driver that takes a #2 square bit (found everywhere in the T@B) that fits between the valance on the driver's side. So you can flip the driver's side shade/screen if you so desire. Thanks for your help guys. Would not have attempted it without your advice.
  • Options
    We can't help it you're slow - Everyone else has done it in 10 ;-)
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    We can't help it you're slow - Everyone else has done it in 10 ;-)
    I was blindfolded and wearing snow mittens when I began the project. I love a challenge.
  • Options
    Ok 15 minutes for the 2 easy ones.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    ChanW said:
    I flipped ours, a 2014 model, and as PXL says, it's simple, but I think it depends on which year you have, as to the details.

I think they changed styles in these more recent models.

Yes, it does not work with the older styles of screen/shades, as they rely on gravity to work.  it does work on the newer accordion style.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2016
    It worked with ours (2014), by simply removing two screws top & bottom, but I think there is a newer shade/screen now, different from ours. 

Ours is the 12 minute version. B-)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I have a 2016. Passenger side top screw holes are the same once flipped. Bottom holes slightly different. Just use a hole punch for them. The kitchen screen has a lip in the center for stability. No biggie. Top holes line up. Bottom holes slightly off - use a drill for starter holes because you'll be going into the aluminum supports for the new holes. Good mod. Now I can prance around like Tom Cruise in "Risky Business" while making breakfast without fear of arrest.
  • Options
    so you are a nudist, you just don't want the cops to know - I see.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    OK, I am obviously, pretty slow here, how does flipping it add to privacy. If your shade is down and the screen open, even if it is at the top, can't people still see inside?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Tom Cruise was never nude in that movie. I was jokingly referring to the underwear scene. Yes, Jenn people can still see inside, but only above the waist because of the trailer elevation above ground level. This allows one to "crack" the top portion of the window open without sacrificing privacy. Can't do that with the bug screen on the bottom.
  • Options
    KyBawpawKyBawpaw Member Posts: 183
    Certainly can if they stand tall and have their nose on the top part of the plastic window. But from a distance only what amount of the upper part of the window you have uncovered will provide a view. Maybe around neck up, not the naughty bits. Works better for guys. ;) We generally care less as well. Lol. 
    "Not all those who wander are lost"- J. R. R. Tolkien 
    2014 T@B-S
  • Options
    My apologies. This mod is only applicable to guys.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    jkjenn said:
    OK, I am obviously, pretty slow here, how does flipping it add to privacy. If your shade is down and the screen open, even if it is at the top, can't people still see inside?
    Basically, if you have the shade part way closed, and the screen the rest of the way, the screen opening would be at the top rather then the bottom, changing the angle at which people would be able to see inside.

I also like the idea because of the way I sleep, if there is light coming towards the front of the T@B it is coming right into my eyes.  Flipping the screen/shade would eliminate that problem.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    I give all of you huge kudos if you've taken off the driver's side shade (at least on the newer models) - like PXL said, that top right screw, from what I can tell, is IMPOSSIBLE to get to due to the wooden valance. When my shades were messed up, luckily it was the passenger's side. If you can get to that screw, I'd sure like to know how in case mine mess up on that side.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    edited February 2016
    To get those top screws you will need tools like these plus and a 1/4" open end wench. The screws are long about 1 1/2". You can only back the screw so far with the ratchet because it hits the back of the valance. Then you need to remove the bit and use a 1/4" wench on the bit the rest of the way. Very slow going and I used my complete vocabulary of potty words. It can be done but it is hard.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    WOW--those pictures are so large I can't see them, Dale. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Sorry I have reposted them.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    To get those top screws you will need tools like these plus and a 1/4" open end wench. The screws are long about 1 1/2". You can only back the screw so far with the ratchet because it hits the back of the valance. Then you need to remove the bit and use a 1/4" wench on the bit the rest of the way. Very slow going and I used my complete vocabulary of potty words. It can be done but it is hard.
    Thank you for those instructions! I will bookmark this in case I ever need to do that (sure hope not - but at least I see what tools you used). Honestly don't understand the thought process of whoever designed that - wouldn't they look down the road and ask the "what if this ever needs to be taken off" question?
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Sorry I have reposted them.
    Thank you.  Really slow Wi-Fi signal in this LTVA BLM campground
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Michele - Betting they'd take the valance off. But they may be as hard as getting at the screen frame.
    Personally, I like the arrangement the way it is. Have never seen shades go up from the bottom. They certainly don't in house windows.
  • Options
    It has pluses and minuses. It offers more privacy and still allows you to still see out. It does not work well as a partial sun shade. Everything is a compromise it seems.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Another minus is if you travel with dogs who like to sit on the seats and look out the windows like mine do.  If I reverse the shades I won't be able to keep them closed most of the way, leaving the bottom three or four inches open so they can peer out at the world while I try to catch a few more morning zzzzzzs.
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Another minus is if you travel with dogs who like to sit on the seats and look out the windows like mine do.  If I reverse the shades I won't be able to keep them closed most of the way, leaving the bottom three or four inches open so they can peer out at the world while I try to catch a few more morning zzzzzzs.
    On the flip side (no pun intended), your pup's will be less likely to see what is going on it the screen is at the top. :)

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    They can still hear and smell - probably make them more nervous when they can't also see. Does me :-)
  • Options
    kccatekccate Member Posts: 51
    With my dogs, who are calm if they cannot see out, I have to close the shades often. Would love to do bottom up with shades like nice pricy house blinds can do! Does anyone know if a flip can work with the 2007 Dutchman, where they both go the same direction, one inside the other?
    Cathy and traveling canines, 
    on the sunny side of the street
    2007 Dutchman T@B, C@te's Cr@te
    2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i