Options

I Like The Table Everyone Hates

JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
edited February 2016 in Products and Accessories
I know everyone hates the stock table that comes in. I am one of the rare people who like the table and decided to keep it. I was always worried about breaking the legs every time I fold it down to a bed. It tilts pretty bad when someone gets on the edge of the table.
Today, I found some PVC's in the storage and decided to build a support for my table. It is visible, and some people might not like how it looks, but It does support the table pretty good. I don't feel like breaking it when I get on the table anymore. It doesn't really get in the way when you sit. If it does, you can break it down pretty easily (I didn't use any glue) and store it somewhere. It is also pretty cheap and takes less than 20 minutes to build. What do y'all think?

Comments

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    We just installed a couple of wooden bed rails for support, just used 1 x 1 rails, didn't need to be heavy duty, as they are used to stabilize the table.  We are going to change out to a heavy duty rails, when I install our Lagun support, plus we decreased our table size.
  • Options
    AustinRoamersAustinRoamers Member Posts: 45
    Nicely done.  Thanks for sharing your fix.  I like to see other's ideas on this forum that are outside the box - it helps us all to think of ways to improve our T@Bs.  Today we changed our table system (Lagun), installed bed rails and slats, and moved the spare tire!  (one trip to Lowe's, two to Home Depot).  Next up - removing the sink from the bathroom.
    Kat & Sam      Austin, TX        2018 T@B 400           "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Nice alternative design.

We also like the table, but mostly for its ability to be taken out of the Tab and used in the campsite. The fact that it's heavy makes it a pain, but also makes it more stable on the ground. 

We've found however, that the particle-board top is not water resistant. Leaving it out in the rain doesn't work!

We use the 'bed slats on rails' for the bed, and usually put the table out as soon as we set up camp.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Great solution! I wanted to like the table, but the weight is too much and I like the feeling of more space without it.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    Jiro, Nice solution to suit your preferences...just goes to show how we all have different camping styles and preferences, yet the T@B can be modified to accommodate most everyone.
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Nicely done.  Thanks for sharing your fix.  I like to see other's ideas on this forum that are outside the box - it helps us all to think of ways to improve our T@Bs.  Today we changed our table system (Lagun), installed bed rails and slats, and moved the spare tire!  (one trip to Lowe's, two to Home Depot).  Next up - removing the sink from the bathroom.
    Well you must have done the project right :) Three trips to the box store for any project means it's successful :)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    WOW!  Amazing system.  I made a similar support out of wood...I like yours way more!  Thank you for sharing.