Options

The Adventure begins...

JK5756JK5756 Member Posts: 25

My wife and I will be driving from Denver, CO to Mesa, AZ this weekend to pickup our T@b Outback-S...woohoo!! I have been pouring over all of the information on this forum--thank you!!  This will be our first RV so I have a lot to learn.  We will be picking it up on Sat AM in Mesa and then heading up to Sedona to spend our first night in the Outback (campground full hook-up).  Sunday we will head up to Moab and overnight (campground full hook up).  Then back to Denver on Monday where the T@b will go into storage until the spring.  Sooooo can we use the bathroom/water or is it not worth it because of winterization??  I've printed out the newbie list and will be looking to pick up those items.  I guess I need to know what are the must haves to get us back to Denver with 2 nights in the T@b?? Any advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Thx

Joe/Katie

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Welcome aboard, looking forward to some photos when you get her.

I hear there is a very nice private campground in Sedona.  My wife is currently on a flight returning from there and is already itching to return.

I would use the bathroom and water so as to test them out, and then winterize again when you get home.  This way you can be sure everything is to your satisfaction.

Good luck and safe travels.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    Thx Cyclonic...that makes sense to test everything out.  Sedona looks beautiful, wish we had more time to check it out.  Staying at the Rancho Sedona RV park. Should be a fun road trip, we are excited. 
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357

Congratulations Joe and Katie!! You'll love your Outback and time in Sedona.  The Rancho Sedona is very nice - it sits right next to the creek and is very close to stores and civilization. It also has very clean bathrooms and showers.  Just a few things to consider:

Make sure your TV's lug wrench fits the lugs on the Outback tires (I believe they're 3/4") .

Bring extra fuses (there is a great list on this forum somewhere).

Your front stabilizer bars may not be long enough to reach the ground, so bring at least two wood blocks just in case.

Definitely get the better sewer hose with adapter from Amazon (The one Tom's gives you is awful and won't work at the campsite).  Also bring a foam knee pad - the Outback grey drain is hard to reach.

Have Andy or Jason go over how to start the Norcold frig on propane (it can be real finicky).

Most importantly - have fun!!

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
  • Options
    JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171
    JK, Welcome to the forum and I would advise you to spend whatever time it takes at your dealer to make sure ALL systems are working before you leave the lot. Make sure your duel fuel systems work in all modes. Have a good trip!
    2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • Options
    Good idea justjohn...especially since we are about a 12 hr drive from the dealership.  I plan on wearing Tom's out with questions!! 
    Thx
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Exciting weekend :-)
    Using water / winterizing...Looks like Sedona temps look fine. Moab nights though look to be at the freezing mark. Depending on how long you are going to be in them could or could not be a problem water wise.
  • Options
    Also buy #2 and #1 SQUARE head screwdrivers!!  Just about every screw on the Outback is a square head.  Turn on the Alde system and listen for any gurgling from the rear shelf.  If you hear any, have them add some glycol to the reservoir tank located under the rear shelf on the driver's side.  It took forever for my water system to purge the white stuff.  I'd have Tom's clean out the winterizing from the water tank before delivery. And finally, the black ring on Tom's shore power cord does not match the threads on the Outback, so save yourself some aggravation by trying to secure the cord to the Outback (just push it in). 
  • Options

Good point PXlated...will watch the temps as we get closer

#1 and #2 square head got it...thx for the tip with the Alde will definitely have them check that out.  I would have been fighting to get that power cord threaded all day thank you for the heads up OutbackAZ.  Is there a specific brand that does fit the threads and should I pick one of those up??

• Options
    30amp Cable - Mine fits and it's a Conntex - I'd have the dealer substitute (or discount you) because those cables can be relatively spendy.
  • Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    Hi Joe/Katie,
    We were in the same boat just before Christmas with picking up our Outback and being the first RV we have ever owned.
    As the others have stated, make sure you totally understand the winterization of the unit.  When we picked up ours, the dealer did a brief run through, but in fact they left our unit "de-winterized".  It had been winterized at the factory, but then they put water into it.  We drove it home the first night to freezing temperatures, and then I had to figure out how to get the Alde up and running to warm "T@boo" up to the point that I could properly winterize her. With the help of several of the people here on the discussions (PXLated and ChanW you guys rock!), we got her thawed out.  Luckily, the dealer is willing to take responsibility if there are problems this spring (like a bad water pump...) due to the water being left in the lines.  No question is too dumb! I just didn't know enough then, but I have got real education from the people on the forum!  
    Have fun!!!!

T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    Joe/Katie: you're going to love it. I was a newbie and it helped me to take a picture of of how the hitch looked (hitch, chains, battery cord, brake cord) when hooked up. Make sure battery fuse is installed in battery (mine wasn't and I know of others whose wasn't). Toms is a good dealer and they sell a lot of tabs. I called them twice from the road with questions on my first trip. Have fun. 
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • Options
    Thx Nerdy- good advice!! Glad I found this forum...
  • Options
    great idea cbarnhill, never would have thought to take a picture of that until I went to hook it up again.  Battery fuse, check added it to my list--thank you! 
  • Options
    JK - everyone responding to your inquiry truly wants you to enjoy your maiden voyage (I.e. First Date). However, we also want you to share in the wonderful discovery of your new adventure on a personal level (learning as you go). So don't sweat the the small stuff.
  • Options
    Sounds good OutbackAZ, we are truly looking forward to our first date...this is going to be a very special Valentines Day for us.  
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    If you have issues after Sedona, I am in Flagstaff and you are welcome to look me up. Had a long term spot at Rancho Sedona for a year and a half and never had problems. Enjoy your trip and happy Tabbing!
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Wow, what beautiful country to traverse for your maiden voyage!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited February 2016
    OutbackAZ said:
    And finally, the black ring on Tom's shore power cord does not match the threads on the Outback, so save yourself some aggravation by trying to secure the cord to the Outback (just push it in). 
    Ok, so mine also came from Tom's.  I had an LG SS prior and the 30 amp plug and plastic ring fit perfectly.  It was an all yellow cord, no handle, no blue led on the handle.  For the life of me I could not figure out why I could never get the new T@B one to twist on.  'All makes sense now = that's crappy.   :s

Joe/Katie...I echo outbackaz's advice to visually inspect that the ring actually rides the threads. If it doesn't, I would have them drop ship you a different brand to your house and make do with the misfit for the 2 nights.  It will still work, just isn't cool that it is not fully secured.

As for using all the systems for a 2 nighter when there is a chance of freezing maybe in Moab, I probably would not de-winterize for that, and mess with gray and black tanks, just to have to winterize all over again. 'Just does not seem worth it to me especially if you will have campground showers and toilets available.  You can still run the Alde heater while winterized, use the stove, use the fridge, play your tv/DVDs player, just no wet bath or kitchen sink is how I would roll <Shrug>.  

Enjoy the birth!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Here's the one my dealer provided and it screws on fine... http://conntek.com/products.asp?id=159

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    edited February 2016
    http://www.corddepot.com/shop/rvs/30-amp-locking-rv-cord-ergo-grip/  

Mine looks like this one ^^^^...check out pic #6. That is one weird plugin. 
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options

As for using all the systems for a 2 nighter when there is a chance of freezing maybe in Moab, I probably would not de-winterize for that, and mess with gray and black tanks, just to have to winterize all over again. 'Just does not seem worth it to me especially if you will have campground showers and toilets available.  You can still run the Alde heater while winterized, use the stove, use the fridge, play your tv/DVDs player, just no wet bath or kitchen sink is how I would roll <Shrug>.  

Enjoy the birth!
    Yep...I think this is the way to go.  I was hoping the Alde would work when winterized that was my biggest concern.  It's gonna be pretty cold coming over those passes on I-70 and I don't want anything to freeze up.  We can make it work without water for 2 nights.  Thanks Rolling--I'm gonna double check that power cord as well.  
  • Options

larrygon said:
    If you have issues after Sedona, I am in Flagstaff and you are welcome to look me up. Had a long term spot at Rancho Sedona for a year and a half and never had problems. Enjoy your trip and happy Tabbing!
    Thanks larrygon I appreciate the offer!! I'm hoping everything goes smooth and this is just the beginning of our T@b adventures...
  • Options
    I used mine for three weeks while winterized, used the Alde (heat), fridge, etc every night till I got far enough south with stable, warm temps and then dewinterized. So agree with Sally, easiest way to go.
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    JK5756 said:
    Good idea justjohn...especially since we are about a 12 hr drive from the dealership.  I plan on wearing Tom's out with questions!! 
    Thx
    I hope you catch them when they're not busy. I felt fairly rushed on the walk-through, although I tried to slow them down as they explained things. Maybe you'll have a better experience than I did when I picked mine up --- can't say it was "bad" but definitely felt they weren't REALLY in the moment --- that they were trying to hurry the process along. Maybe it'll depend on which location you bought from.

Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    jehdfdjehdfd Member Posts: 27
    Congrats from another Denver T@bber. We just got our Outback last fall. Used it three times and then put it in storage. We'll look for you on the road this spring. You're going to love it!!
    Aurora, Colorado - 2016 T@b Outback - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
  • Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    I hope you catch them when they're not busy. I felt fairly rushed on the walk-through, although I tried to slow them down as they explained things. Maybe you'll have a better experience than I did when I picked mine up --- can't say it was "bad" but definitely felt they weren't REALLY in the moment --- that they were trying to hurry the process along. Maybe it'll depend on which location you bought from.

Bought mine at the Bell Road location in Surprise. It was my third camper purchase there. Never had a problem with anyone. Always available by phone and was very prompt repairing any issues. I guess it does depend on location.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • Options
    Mr_Mrs_GnomeMr_Mrs_Gnome Member Posts: 241
    Congrats on your new Outback. We're in Castle Rock, CO and are getting our Outback S mid April.
    '17 Outback S - TV 2016 Chevy Colorado in "Colorful Colorado"
  • Options
    Congrats on your new Outback. We're in Castle Rock, CO and are getting our Outback S mid April.
    jehdfd said:
    Congrats from another Denver T@bber. We just got our Outback last fall. Used it three times and then put it in storage. We'll look for you on the road this spring. You're going to love it!!
    Glad to see fellow T@bbers here in Colorado.  I wish I didn't have to drive 12 hrs to get mine but I would have had to wait until Aug/Sept for the dealer in Co Springs to get the one I wanted.  Would have missed out on all our Jeep trips this summer.  Luckily, LG was great and found the one I wanted in AZ so we decided to jump on it.   
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    larrygon said:

Bought mine at the Bell Road location in Surprise. It was my third camper purchase there. Never had a problem with anyone. Always available by phone and was very prompt repairing any issues. I guess it does depend on location.
    Hmmm...thinking I should deal with them in Surprise then - if I need to have anything repaired. Thanks!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!