Options

The Adventure begins...

2»

Comments

• Options
    JK5756JK5756 Member Posts: 25
    Nerdy1 said:
    Hi Joe/Katie,
    We were in the same boat just before Christmas with picking up our Outback and being the first RV we have ever owned.
    As the others have stated, make sure you totally understand the winterization of the unit.  When we picked up ours, the dealer did a brief run through, but in fact they left our unit "de-winterized".  It had been winterized at the factory, but then they put water into it.  We drove it home the first night to freezing temperatures, and then I had to figure out how to get the Alde up and running to warm "T@boo" up to the point that I could properly winterize her. With the help of several of the people here on the discussions (PXLated and ChanW you guys rock!), we got her thawed out.  Luckily, the dealer is willing to take responsibility if there are problems this spring (like a bad water pump...) due to the water being left in the lines.  No question is too dumb! I just didn't know enough then, but I have got real education from the people on the forum!  
    Have fun!!!!

So I called Tom's to make sure our T@b would be winterized when we took delivery since we are bringing it back to CO.  They stated that since they are in AZ they do not winterize anything and he didn't think they had any antifreeze...really??? This seems hard for me to believe.  I guess I will find out Sat AM but I gave them fair warning.  Thanks to Nerdy1 for the heads up. 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    They don't need any antifreeze to winterize, they can just empty and blow out the lines once they/you have checked it out. Putting antifreeze is an option. You could get some RV antifreeze from a different source (Walmart)(CampingWorld) and add it to your shower and sink traps - doesn't take much.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,358

Dateline - Phoenix: When I picked up my TAB from Tom's, it had a sticker on the oval window stating the unit had been "winterized" (It looked like it was put on by the factory).  When I got home and turned on the faucet, white fluid came out.  I assumed this was some type of shipping chemical and just kept the faucet on until it ran clear.  Had to do this for the next several camping trips.  Toilet flushed fine and shower also worked, so I don't think the unit was "winterized" based on what others describe on this forum.  Regarding anti-freeze, Tom's does not stock the glycol that is used in the Alde system (High Sierra or Prestone LowTox):

http://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AF555-Low-Tox-Antifreeze/dp/B004QAXW82/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1455228147&sr=1-1&keywords=prestone+low+tox+antifreeze

You may want to get some from Amazon to have on hand.  Also your Rhino sewer hose kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39761-RhinoFLEX-Swivel-Fitting/dp/B002OUMVWY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1455228454&sr=1-1&keywords=rv+sewer+hose+kit

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition,
    2024 Ford F150 Supercrew short bed.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    There's some pink colored cabin/RV antifreeze - Comes in a jug like windshield washer fluid. It's not the same as that low-tox Prestone. Of course I got mine in MN where every cabin and RV owner has a jug.
  • Options
    JK5756JK5756 Member Posts: 25
    Thx PXLated and OutbackAZ...I'll make sure to pick some up.  
  • Options
    Nerdy1Nerdy1 Member Posts: 60
    I also did what PXlated suggested (no antifreexe).  I just blew out the water and then left the valves open so if there was anymore water, it would just drip out.  I used my portable tire "compressor"-very low power so it can not damage the lines and a little adapter I found online. Since we have not used the restroom yet, I didn't really worry about anything else.  At last, we are going out for the first time this weekend in our Outback.

T@BOO - 2016 Outback Max S in New Mexico towed by 2016 Toyota Highlander (soon)
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Our power cord end came with an added plug to convert end so we can plug it into regular household type plugs.   Before we had picked up our camper yesterday,  we had purchased a convertor plug shown also in the picture.   Probably will keep it,  it seems a bit handier... 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Btw,  the other end of the black cable should have been the one in the picture... 
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
    We were hoping to stay at the Sedona rv park on our two month trip out west this spring/ summer; however it seems likely our two mini daschunds will not meet the "no barking" rule. Bummer!