Options

Towing - "tow/haul" mode

mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
edited February 2016 in Trailer & Towing
Does anyone have a tow vehicle equipped with the tow/haul mode? My F150 has this feature and to be honest I'm extremely uneducated about gears, etc. While reading about it, it says to use it when going uphill or downhill "with a heavy load" --- do you use it with our relatively light T@Bs? Should it be used instead of downshifting manually? Although an automatic, the truck has an "M" which puts it into a manual mode to shift - but I haven't used it yet. Guess I need a truck lesson! Thanks.
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    I have a Ford Expedition with a button on the shifter that says "Tow/Haul."  The owner's manual states the Tow/Haul mode simply keeps the transmission from going into overdrive (i.e. it does not exceed 3rd gear).  I usually only use this mode when going up or down hills.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I have boo's truck's fraternal twin, the 2015 GMC Canyon V6. It has a 6 gear tranny. Tow/Haul prevents it from dropping into 5th or 6th (both overdrives) at a certain rpm unless the EFI is convinced that you aren't going up or down a steep grade.

Both GMC and Chevy have a system that determines the pitch of the vehicle - they also have a "driver hill assist" that automatically prevents the truck from rolling backwards a couple inches when you are at a complete stop on a hill if you take your foot off the brake - like if you are at a stoplight. My 94 Chevy would just roll a tad before I tapped the accelerator, not a big deal. I was sort of surprised when my GMC gave me a popup message that driver hill assist (there's another name for it) was engaged when I took my foot off the brake and was about to accelerate at this one particular stoplight that's on a mild hill. I just thought it was funny, but I can now see how easy it would have been to add that "feature" if they were using a similar pitch detection system for the Tow/Haul mode. 

Yes, I use it to tow the T@B. The cruise control also works smoother without the gears engaging up and down. Gas mileage doesn't seem affected either. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I used the button on my Ford Escape when towing to keep it from going into overdrive.  Otherwise, it shifted into the overdrive, using more gas.  On my Toyota Tacoma, I use 4 Drive instead of 4 Overdrive for the same reason (I may be wrong on what it is called, but it serves the same purpose as the button on the Fords.)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    As Verna stated with her other vehicles, I would only use 4 drive instead of overdrive on the 6 cyl Rav4 when towing the Reverse TD (no Tow/Haul feature). I also down-shifted manually in the mountains instead of doing excessive braking. I've always engine-braked since learning to drive on a multitude of VW Bugs (we had 5 at one time). One mechanic told me that the rpms of engine braking don't even come close to how high they run when normally driving (long time ago). I do it on the motorcycle too. Old habits, I guess.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'm an engine braker also - 4th gear on a 6% gives me a nice steady 55mph.
  • Options
    JltabJltab Member Posts: 89
    I have 2014 Subaru Outback, any trick & tips ?( towing )
    2016 T@B Maxx S, Nissan Pathfinder
  • Options
    2.5L , 4 cyl engine
  • Options
    Torque 174 hp 173
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    Thanks to all those who responded --- Didn't need it going to Coyote Howls - very flat pretty much the entire way. But now I know it'll be used during my future travels.
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Thanks for the info boo.